Had a ND this morning

So... That reminds me of something that happened long, long ago.

Four of us, all teenagers, camped out the night before deer rifle season opened. Woke up about 2AM with our cheap-[beeep] tent that barely fit all four of us nose to tail collapsed on us from heavy snow falling in the night.

We all fell out and climbed in the old Blazer one of the other guys drove us all there in. And sat out the rest of the night waiting for daylight to go deer hunting. It's getting real close to time to get out and go. Me and my buddy Tim are in the back seat, Tim stuffs some rounds in his Model 70. So, I did too, then so did the other two in the front seats.

Shortly after, the guy in the driver seat, owner of the Blazer, the oldest among us by a couple of years but by far the least experienced hunter, shoots a hole through his floor board right next to his foot.

And I'm here to tell you, the sound of an '06 going off inside a Blazer really gets your attention.

Me and Tim took away ALL his ammo. Told him he wasn't going to be hunting this trip. Took his keys too, and had to rough him up slightly to get them, so he wouldn't just drive off and leave us there.

Knew that guy and saw him often for the rest of his life, liked him actually, but I never hunted with him ever again.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiYears ago, during the old "Coyote Gods" days, during a rendezvous, we would usually take out the "New Guy" in my truck. Made some very good friends doing that. One day as I was setting out the caller the FNG had an AD. Generally not knowing them well "My rules" were empty chamber to and from the stand. Sadly the FNG went out with another guy that rented a truck for the event and had an AD or NG in the guys rented truck putting a hole in the roof. Luckily no one got shot.

Hunt was over for that FNG.

LOL...that happened to some guys at one of the conventions years ago...the only thing they killed was their transmission...must have been tough to skin...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I always heard of it as AD until it was drilled in the military there is no such thing as a AD only negligent.

Grew up with a Fox double barrel 12ga. Uncle was trap shooting with it and snapped it closed on 2 rounds, both discharged into the ground as he had it pointed in a safe direction. Gun broke inside resulting in failure and discharge, not sure what is negligent about that. Proper gun safety was observed so only the dirt suffered.

I get the sentiment that most "accidents" are negligent, and that holds with motor vehicle incidents too, but that doesn't mean accidents don't happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grinder67 I understand what happened but what does ND stand for?
Negligent Discharge

My bad. Guess I should’ve read the whole post

Last edited:
I've also never heard of ND before but I like it much more than AD. There are no accidents with firearms only negligence. Let me clarify by saying that there are and will be mechanical errors where a gun fires without operator error but the negligence would be having it pointed carelessly when that happened.

It is so easy to become lax when handling firearms and I think the more you handle them the easier it can become. I started all my kids shooting at an early age but that is always a fear in the back of my head that something could happen. Always be within arms length of a new or young shooter so that you can physically stop any potential mistakes you might see because they will happen.

It's the unloaded guns that get you just ask Alec Baldwin.

While I agree that most are ND’s I have seen AD’s…most were due to equipment malfunctions.

During a rifle match a competitor closed the bolt on his Remington 700 and it went bang…luckily it was pointed down range but I saw it and he never touched the trigger and the safety was on.

Another happened to one of our guys when he dropped the slide on his pistol…finger was clear of the trigger guard along the frame and it went bang on an XD.

I ALL the incidents I’ve personally witnessed the first rule of firearm safety, point it in a safe direction, kept them from becoming tragic.

Guns are machines and they can fail.

Our familiarity with them and the frequency we handle them, especially competing ups the odds, and that’s where good fundamental safety comes in.

Follow every step of your procedure and bad things are less likely.

Back