Scope base for an MGM 22k hornet barrel TC

Mtns2hunt

Just received my MGM 22k hornet barrel for a TC Encore. Was told by MGM that if I had a TC base it would fit. Well, it bolts on but is way too big for the short contour of the barrel. It appears to require about a 3-inch base. I want to use a regular scope but am not sure if this will work with such a small base. It seems the rings would be very close and perhaps not stabilize well. I have been considering an extended scope base.

Any advice from 22 k hornet shooters using an MGM barrel on a TC encore?

Thanks.

Well, no response from the experts?

I called MGM again and spoke to them about the issue. They feel that it is entirely okay for the five-inch base mount to have a three-inch overhang with a half inch gap. I told them it looks awful for a custom barrel to be presented like that. When I spoke to them, and they told me any TC base would work. It never occurred to me that there would be such a gap.

Finally told me that they make a five-inch scope base with a filler to take care of the gap. Wonder why I was not told that in the at first? My MGM's barrel looks great and well-made but after this experience with customer service it had better shoot really well before I buy from them again and I am considering a 45 cal muzzleloader barrel.

Sorry no one could provide any insight on what they have on their 22 k hornet. Perhaps MGM is the only one making a short shelf on their barrels but it is something to consider when purchasing a MGM barrel. Customer service said he would pass my concerns along to the shop.

The same guys would have done my Tactical 20 barrel when they were with
Virgin Valley Custom Guns. It too has an overhang, but I have always
been very pleased with its accuracy.

Some of the guys over at Hanks Msg Boards and Dougs Msg Boards have
MGM .45 Encore barrels. I've not read any complaints.

I've had a few Encores and never had a problem mounting a scope. I was/am a little confused as what over hang your talking about. I was going to suggest maybe a two piece mount?????

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've had a few Encores and never had a problem mounting a scope. I was/am a little confused as what over hang your talking about. I was going to suggest maybe a two piece mount?????

There are four holes drilled and tapped. Could not get the proper spacing with a two piece or three inch mount. With a three inch mount the rings are very close together.

Where the barrel meets the chamber and starts to climb there is only a three inch surface to mount the base. I normally use a 5 inch mount however on this particular model there is a two inch overhang between the barrel and base mount. Looks like a sharks open mouth. Other barrels do not have this overhang and are generally drilled and tapped for six holes but the barrel completely supports the base. It may just be my barrel is small. Still I want a high quality scope mounted in a manner that is strong and sturdy.

Customer service told me that they make a base mount to fill in this gap. This cost me another 70 USD. I will see how this works.

I have not fired this barrel yet nor do I know the individuals making the barrel. The workmanship appears outstanding. I have high hopes on the accuracy of this barrel. In my opinion this is more an engineering oversight.

On the 45 caliber I do no0t expect to experience the same issues. Just been a rough start to this project

Just an update. Base arrived and is better. Still about an 1/8 inch gap. Just have to deal with it, I guess.

Last edited:
Good to know they have a filler. I have a hairline gap on my 50 cal and it looks crappy. Sorry you didn't get any help but thanks for sharing! Be interested to hear how it shoots and how the 45 does, if you get it. I have a 270 on order that should be finished soon.

I just got into an Encore. Been a real pia but trying to get all the bugs worked out. Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: P&YGood to know they have a filler. I have a hairline gap on my 50 cal and it looks crappy. Sorry you didn't get any help but thanks for sharing! Be interested to hear how it shoots and how the 45 does, if you get it. I have a 270 on order that should be finished soon.

I just got into an Encore. Been a real pia but trying to get all the bugs worked out. Good luck

Well, like everything working the bugs out of the Encore takes a bit of time. However until now I have been lucky. My muzzle-loader gives me very tight groupings using the shockwave bullet and is accurate out to 250 yards and have killed several deer at 230. Turkey barrel 20g with #9 TSS is truly awesome with wonderful patterns. So a couple small unexpected issues with the 22 k hornet is not a huge deal although I will resolve down the road. The 22 hornet does shoot acceptable patterns but not what I am expecting of the 22 k version.

By the way in tuning up your encore Mike Bellum specializes in encore. I replaced all my springs, tuned up my trigger and purchased a larger barrel hinge. Incredible the difference it made plus you really get to know the Encore platform.

Originally Posted By: P&YGood to know they have a filler. I have a hairline gap on my 50 cal and it looks crappy. Sorry you didn't get any help but thanks for sharing! Be interested to hear how it shoots and how the 45 does, if you get it. I have a 270 on order that should be finished soon.

Showed my base mount to some friends. They were not impressed by the fit and especially that I paid 70.00 bucks to get a base mount that mounted only a little better than an off brand one I already had. This is becoming rather embarrassing. However, the barrel shows promise while trying to fire form with about 1-inch groups.

Called MGM again and explained that I am not satisfied with the fit and neither is anyone else that has seen it. As I explained the issue, I was told they are made that way to fit many different models. I told them that they are a machine shop and should be able to make a correct fitting base. I even explained what how to do it although I am not sure they understood. Anyway, to shorten this story they are making me another. Said it could take 3 months or so but would try to make it quicker. So high hopes but now I seem to have been booted from their website. I am locked out, interesting.

They only have a few profiles they should have precise bases for each! I was told yesterday the contour I chose won't work with the 6 hole base I wanted. Tells me that I will be in the same boat. Guess I'll just live with it, don't want to get locked out of the website lol. Reminds me of a different company's site I submitted a low product review on that never got posted. All my previous positive reviews did, funny how that works!

Appreciate the accuracy tips. I've actually got the action job and oversized hinge pin. I'd planned on burning some black powder this morning but was reminded of a home project I had been procrastinating.

Good luck!

I’ve ran into this problem as well. Not many good remedies. I even tried adding jb weld to the overhang then milling it down to fit the contour. It worked ok but was still wasn’t as nice as a fitted base. And took some time since I’m not a machinist.

I think there is a remedy and that is MGM needs to fix this problem by making and offering the correct bases. That is how they got me to buy another 70-dollar base mount by saying it would fix the problem.
\
They have offered to make another so I think they will follow up. It is clear that they make fine barrels. They should pay the same attention to their accessories.

I'm sure this issue is being discussed in house.

I've had Encores for years and I think you'll find that most all of the different bases will have this gap,it's because of the taper in the barrels. I use the Dead-Nutz system as the base and the rings are 1 piece.

Back