My new slow-motion project

jetman

My son and I were sitting around talking guns and shutch.
Thinking about a rifle for My granddaughter. She now is 14 and shoots a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel, with GREAT success. Looking to the future and needing a bit more gun. This is what we came up with. I recently reserved a New Ruger American 22-inch 30/06. I have NO need for another '06 So, We came up with a 7X57 AI. We also just acquired 140 new factory 7X57 shells, so we have ammo to break in a new barrel and have the brass to fire form. I ordered a Shaw 22-inch 1x8 light barrel. And ordered a new barrel nut and wrench. Some Reding dies. The rifle has a limb saver, claw sling, and Redfield 3X9 scope already on it. I did have to slightly alter the Ruger 3006 magazine to feed the shorter 5x57s. $600 and she will have a NEW bigger caliber 7-pound rifle. Now I have to wait, dang it, 10/12 weeks on the barrel and whatever on the special order Redding dies.
thumbup.gif

Thanks,
She has been shooting/ hunting /fishing since she was 5. She has taken like 11 deer, many coyotes, and many hundreds of prairie dogs untold gophers, She has several of her own guns now, the Grendle, a savage 17 hmr, 10/22, Phoenix arms 22 semi-auto 22 pistol, a co2 17cal revolver pistol. and many fishing poles.

Just make sure the factory 7 X 57 ammo fits tight into the 7 X 57 AI chamber.

I have two 223 AI rifles and the gun smith that did one of them did not set the narrel back like I asked him to. I had fire formed brass cracking so I had to take that rifle in to a good gun smith that new about setting the barrrel back to make the factory rounds a tight fit.

What 7mm bullet do you plan on using in the 7 X 57 AI?

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI have two 223 AI rifles and the gun smith that did one of them did not set the narrel back like I asked him to. I had fire formed brass cracking so I had to take that rifle in to a good gun smith that new about setting the barrrel back to make the factory rounds a tight fit.
Any smith worth his salt should know you need to set the chamber back for Ackley cartridges. However, a viable solution would have been to neck your brass up to 6mm, then neck it back down to 22, leaving a crush fit at the shoulder to headspace off of, and fire form away.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob.

What 7mm bullet do you plan on using in the 7 X 57 AI?

Probably start with a 140 for her of some make, I would prefer a ttsx Barnes but they seem to be as sparse as 7X57 ammo.

Maybe later as she grows move up to a 150 I have some 173s now.

Last edited:
Back