Best barrel for a Grendel

pyscodog

Money isn't a factor. What's the most accurate barrel for a 6.5 Grendel build? Extreme accuracy is the main goal. Who would you call??

Originally Posted By: pyscodog Who would you call??

Ghostbusters!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I would normally say white oak based off experience with them on other cartridges, but they don’t do Grendel based cartridges.

I’ve never had a Grendel so can’t say for certain. Maybe D-Tech with the select match grade Shilen blank.

I thought Ghostbusters myself. LOL

I did a google search and several names came up. Radical Firearms was one and they use E.R.Shaw, RRA uses Wilson blanks and they are usually very accurate. Of course Hart was there and I'm sure other big name makers will be great barrels. Just curious as to what the Pro's use that rely on extreme accuracy to be competitive.

I picked up a used AR in 6.5 Grendel at a shop owned by a member of our gun club. I got it cheap or at least what I thought was cheap. I told him I would buy it on one condition, we scope the barrel. I knew he had a Hawk Eye and he didn't hesitate to get it out and scope the barrel. Amazingly, it was in very good shape with very little copper fouling. The face of the bolt looked unfired. But....I see how a lot of AR's are treated at the club so I'm not expecting much and that's the reason for the barrel question. If it needs a barrel, I'm gonna get a good one. I may get lucky and its a shooter but I know my luck to.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI read a few reviews on Wilson Combat. Are they just Wilson barrels? Reviews were good.
If you dig into it, you will find that RRA uses barrels by Wilson Arms.
Wilson Combat, a direct competitor of RRA, I believe uses E.R. Shaw barrels.
Lots of good barrels available, pick a seller that has a good return policy (like Brownells) in case you get a turkey.

I read some time ago that the majority of commercial AR barrels are supplied by Wilson.

I did shoot the rifles yesterday. I was at Atwoods and they had Hornady Black, 123 grain ELD-M for $23 a box. Thinking that was a pretty good price, I snagged a box. It shot horrible in my rifle for the ten rounds I put through it. I shot a few at 50yds and it wasn't bad but at 100 it was really high and being the brain child I am, I forgot the allen wrench to adjust my zero stop and I called it quits for the day. I stopped in a local shop on the way home and they said they had tried the Hornady Black in three different Grendels and had the same results, terrible groups. I can't pass judgement on the rifle with only 10 rounds through it but sure hope the next time out show better groups or I may be looking for a barrel a lot sooner than I had planned.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI read some time ago that the majority of commercial AR barrels are supplied by Wilson.

I did shoot the rifles yesterday. I was at Atwoods and they had Hornady Black, 123 grain ELD-M for $23 a box. Thinking that was a pretty good price, I snagged a box. It shot horrible in my rifle for the ten rounds I put through it. I shot a few at 50yds and it wasn't bad but at 100 it was really high and being the brain child I am, I forgot the allen wrench to adjust my zero stop and I called it quits for the day. I stopped in a local shop on the way home and they said they had tried the Hornady Black in three different Grendels and had the same results, terrible groups. I can't pass judgement on the rifle with only 10 rounds through it but sure hope the next time out show better groups or I may be looking for a barrel a lot sooner than I had planned.
There is Wilson Arms (barrelmaker) and Wilson Combat (gunmaker).
It would take some research to try to find out what all the commercial AR makers are using for barrels.
Some would probably want to keep that secret.
Wilson Arms, E.R. Shaw and Green Mountain are likely suppliers to the commercial builders.

Before I condemned that barrel :
Make sure it's not fouled, have it scoped if necessary.
Make sure that your optic is not wonky.
Try "known good" ammo.

Originally Posted By: 6BRAIExtreme accuracy.

A barrel that is in stock.

Lilja

Wow, they are proud of them aren't they!

A guy on another site has a BSF carbon barrel for sale. Unfired, match grade and gas block and tube. Cons are its only 16" and I'd really prefer 18". For my purposes, hunting coyotes and hogs, it might not make much difference.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: 6BRAIExtreme accuracy.

A barrel that is in stock.

Lilja

Wow, they are proud of them aren't they!

A guy on another site has a BSF carbon barrel for sale. Unfired, match grade and gas block and tube. Cons are its only 16" and I'd really prefer 18". For my purposes, hunting coyotes and hogs, it might not make much difference.
Button rifled Grendel barrel $300 +/-
Cut rifled Grendel barrel $600 +/-

Supposedly Grendel does best with a 20" barrel (or longer).
Brownell's has a Faxon for $219
And a good return policy if you don't like it.
Faxon gets good reviews.

Most of these are cut rifled :
Screen-Shot-02-24-23-at-03-23-PM.png

For the money Faxon and Ballistic Advantage make excellent barrels, Dedicated Technologies use Shilen match barrels, which are phenomenal. Talk to SnowmanMo, the barrels he uses on his PTG rifles are fantastic.
I have an upper with an 18" Bear Creek barrel and can't complain about accuracy.

A local shop has a Ballistic Advantage barrel in stock but I'm a little skeptical on them as the reviews aren't the best. Some say they got terrible accuracy and had to send their barrel in once or twice before they got it right. Price isn't bad but I have a mediocre barrel now, sure don't need another. For a few dollars more I can get a Wilson Combat and reviews on it are pretty solid. The Satern is a cut barrel but I don't really want to spend $500 on a barrel for a $500 rifle. I want it to shoot good but not break the bank as well. I got spoiled with a RRA rifle that shot amazing for an AR. Sub one inch groups will suit me with this rifle. I know I said extreme accuracy but I've lowered my standards some what.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA local shop has a Ballistic Advantage barrel in stock but I'm a little skeptical on them as the reviews aren't the best. Some say they got terrible accuracy and had to send their barrel in once or twice before they got it right. Price isn't bad but I have a mediocre barrel now, sure don't need another. For a few dollars more I can get a Wilson Combat and reviews on it are pretty solid. The Satern is a cut barrel but I don't really want to spend $500 on a barrel for a $500 rifle. I want it to shoot good but not break the bank as well. I got spoiled with a RRA rifle that shot amazing for an AR. Sub one inch groups will suit me with this rifle. I know I said extreme accuracy but I've lowered my standards some what.
To fit your budget, you'll have to choose from one of the Button-Rifled barrels and there are lots of good one.
You can't survive in the market if you are putting out crap barrels.
I would go with a Ballistic Advantage all day long....they have an accuracy guarantee.
Faxon is another one.....Brownells, with the best return policy in the industry has Faxon Grendel barrels.
Criterion
Rainier Arms
Wilson Combat

And then, drum roll......your Rock River Arms barrel was by Wilson Arms.
JSE is a Wilson Arms dealer and they have Grendel barrels that ship with .136 bolts.
JSE has one of the best selections of Grendel barrels that you will find anywhere.
Here's a catalog cut :
Screen-Shot-02-28-23-at-05-13-PM.png

Wilson Combat and Wilson Arms are two different companies. According to a video I just watched, Wilson Combat barrels are made in house. Whose blanks they use IDK? As for BA barrels, going to steer clear of them. To many negative reviews for me.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWilson Combat and Wilson Arms are two different companies.
Correct. Many think they are one company.

Quote:According to a video I just watched, Wilson Combat barrels are made threaded and chambered in house. Whose blanks they use IDK?
I read somewhere that they use select E.R. Shaw blanks, but that is just hear-say. They are good at keeping things secret.

Take a look at the JSE website.
Tremendous selection of reasonably priced Grendel barrels and some ship with bolts.

Atheris is another Grendel barrel that I see mentioned.
Sub-MOA guaratee, 5R rifling, comes with headspaced bolt.

Been scouring the internet still looking for a barrel and went to Aero Precision. Seems all their uppers and barrels use Ballistic Advantage barrels. A little more searching and seems as though BA owns Aero Precision or vice versa but they are connected. Seems BA had a few problems in the past but have got them worked out and barrels are much better.

Back