Fast twist 22, which one??

22savage

Hey, I would like your opinion.

I have a old savage 116 chambered in 300 wm that never shot worth a darn and hasn't been out of the safe in over a decade. I would like to install a shilen prefit barrel, chambered in 22 cal to shoot HEAVY high bc bullets at targets. Not concerned with performance on game. I was thinking the 90 grain bergers.

I already have a 22-250 that shoots 55's accurately, but want something different.

Shilen lists the 22-6mm AI, 22 Clark, 22-257 AI and 22-284.

Anyone have any experience with these in a fast twist(1-7?) With heavy (80+) grain bullets?

Also, I appears the boltface is larger on my donor action, 300 wm, then the boltface on these 22"s, will that be an issue, or should I be looking for another action as well?

I know these are all considered overbore,, but am not really concerned about barrel life, just looking for a project to ti ker with.

Last edited:
Some Savage bolt heads can be changed so it's, maybe, possible all you'll need to do is change out your magnum bolt face bolt head for one with a standard bolt face. If that isn't an option with your particular action then you'll either need a different bolt, one with a standard bolt face, or a different action.

As for which particular cartridge you choose, all that you mentioned are hot rod 22 cals. For me, I always like cartridges with top quality brass so if I can't use Lapua or ADG brass as well as easily get reloading dies I generally won't build it. In saying that, of the ones you listed and taking into account you want to shoot 90 grainers, it would be an easy decision and I'd go with the 22-284. Lapua 6.5-284 brass is always easy to get and a 100cnt box will last you the life of the barrel as well as you can use 6.5-284 bushing dies, you'll need a couple extra bushings, to do all of your brass prep as well as reloading.

Last edited:
You will have to change the bolt head, firing pin, and depending on your action style (staggered feed or center feed) the magazine box and follower.
If you have an older staggered feed, you'll have a hard time finding the magazine parts.

I built a 22 Creedmoor a couple years ago on a custom action that I've been really happy with. I mainly shoot 75 - 80 - and 88 grain bullets out of it. You can buy 22CM head stamped brass, but I don't care for it. I just neck down 6mmCM brass for mine using a set of Whidden dies.

Originally Posted By: 22savageHey, I would like your opinion.

I have a old savage 116 chambered in 300 wm that never shot worth a darn and hasn't been out of the safe in over a decade. I would like to install a shilen prefit barrel, chambered in 22 cal to shoot HEAVY high bc bullets at targets. Not concerned with performance on game. I was thinking the 90 grain bergers.

I already have a 22-250 that shoots 55's accurately, but want something different.

Shilen lists the 22-6mm AI, 22 Clark, 22-257 AI and 22-284.

Anyone have any experience with these in a fast twist(1-7?) With heavy (80+) grain bullets?

Also, I appears the boltface is larger on my donor action, 300 wm, then the boltface on these 22"s, will that be an issue, or should I be looking for another action as well?

I know these are all considered overbore,, but am not really concerned about barrel life, just looking for a project to tinker with.

You will have to change out your bolt head-If your Savage is capable of that.
Which of these is easiest for you to find brass for?

Because of my brass availability I would go with the 22-284 and run the 85.5 Berger, 88 ELD-M, 90 grain A-Tip, 90 grain and 95 grain SMK's
I might look at a 7.5T, since the speeds will be up there. I would need to do more study on that though.

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyYou will have to change the bolt head, firing pin, and depending on your action style (staggered feed or center feed) the magazine box and follower.
If you have an older staggered feed, you'll have a hard time finding the magazine parts.

I built a 22 Creedmoor a couple years ago on a custom action that I've been really happy with. I mainly shoot 75 - 80 - and 88 grain bullets out of it. You can buy 22CM head stamped brass, but I don't care for it. I just neck down 6mmCM brass for mine using a set of Whidden dies.

You sure about the firing pin? Im about to turn a savage 308 into a 223 and from what i could find, i can use the same firing pin thats in the 308, just swap the bolt face

Originally Posted By: SlagiattOriginally Posted By: TxhillbillyYou will have to change the bolt head, firing pin, and depending on your action style (staggered feed or center feed) the magazine box and follower.

You sure about the firing pin? Im about to turn a savage 308 into a 223 and from what i could find, i can use the same firing pin thats in the 308, just swap the bolt face

Older Savages had larger diameter pin. The earlier magnums also. The bolthead retaining pin should be replaced also as it is drilled for the larger pin diameter.

Back