AR for a young small frame girl

jetman

Ok first off I'm not an AR kind of guy BUT.
My Granddaughter Is going to high school this fall. She has been hunting/shooting with me since she was 5 years old. She has killed MANY deer, dozens of coyotes, Hundreds of prairie dogs, And many thousands of gophers. Needless to say, she is not a newbie by any means. She owns her own 6.5 Grendel Howa mini, a savage bolt 17 HMR, a 10/22, A phoenix arms 22 pistol, and looking at a RUGER 6909 AMER-C BOLT 7MM-08 REMINGTON 18".
But has been asking about an AR What should we be looking at?
She is 5'3" and maybe 100 pounds after she eats. I know zero about them I would also like to keep it around $800 plus a scope. Is there a kid-specific type or brand? I would also like to keep it light as we can, Poor papa ends up caring it for her when the hunt gets tough.

Last edited:
Want to use it for medium size game like deer or smaller game like coyotes? That would influence cartridge choice and if you’re wanting to stay with something similar to the 7mm-08 you mentioned likely will influence weight and price. There a some good cartridges available in the smaller AR-15 frame for medium game. The new Ruger SFAR is going to be a game changer, offering the smaller size and weight of the AR-15, but chambered in the .308 class of cartridges. It’s out now in .308, but I suspect it’s just a matter of short time before other cartridges are offered from factory or aftermarket barrel manufacturers. It is about $300 north of your price goal though.

One thing to think about with the AR platform is weight. Just be mindful of that when choosing components and you should be all right.

I'd suggest an adjustable stock like the magpul CTR, a good trigger and have someone build you an upper with a pencil barrel in the caliber of your liking and light weight handguard. Top it with an lpvo or small 3-9.

Originally Posted By: sniper4life1Get a poor pony (Anderson) receiver, and a 6.5 grend 18" upper. Cheap and she already has ammo on hand.

I don't know what but I think she would want a "Different" chambering. She has definite ideas of what she wants.

Get a 243 BCA 20" upper. I put mine on an Areo prescion M5 lower. Great shooter and will kill coyotes and deer like lightning with proper bullet choice. Mine shoots 60 grain seirra HPs at over 4000 fps with .3" 100 yard groups. I like the 90 grain Noslers for deer. Dropped a doe the season before last like lightning and never even flinched or kicked. Imo your never going to find a really light AR10 unless you spend and arm and leg for it. The upper is around $299 right now. The complete lower I bought on black Friday for not much over $200 minus a stock.

Last edited:
My neighbor girls like to shoot my ar15(223) with a carbine adjustable stock, they are young teens. Don't think a ar10 would be fun for a young teen to carry around.

Maybe not.
She has shot her uncle 223 AR 15 many times. She said it's kind of fun.
She did not care for the 450 BM. Is the 338 federal up into the AR10 size?

Might look at the 6.8 SPC. You get good performance with short barrels. That will help keep it light. Good supply of factory ammo and if you reload, 90 gr. gold dots do a great job on coyotes and whitetail. I just built my second one. I think you can build one within your budget. I have an AR 10 in .260 and I don't hunt with it because of weight. Glad to hear she likes shooting. The best I can do with my Granddaughter is get her to play guitar with me. Cheerleading gets in the way of everything else. Shes the same age as yours.

I'm lucky the BOY thing has not kicked in yet.
She still asks me to take her hunting/shooting and running the 4-wheelers.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: jetmanI'm lucky the BOY thing has not kicked in yet.
She still asks me to take her hunting/shooting and running the 4-wheelers.
thumbup.gif

There is an easy solution to the boy issue...take them out hunting and let them see what you do to cute fuzzy animals...it helps to stabilize their behaviors...I did that with my daughter and the young man who had her attention ended up going out with us hunting and is now a marine, so he is someone else's problem...

As far as the specs for your build, I think you are going to be hard pressed to get into something for $800 including optic...especially since you want a different caliber...you might find the quality lacking in the AR platform...I prefer billet uppers and lowers for accuracy...it helps to limit flex, forged are fine for closer work but that's where you are going to be getting in under $800 IMHO...

I hope you are able to find something that will help to keep her going out...

I suppose, but it's a great topic to talk with her about. WAY better than you know the Boy thing...
She will keep looking and reading we will find the next stage in her arsenal.

Last edited:
If you stay in the AR15 cartridge family the 6.5 grendal is a commercial round and capable to 300 yards on deer sized game. Assemble it yourself, good barrels shoot good groups.

Originally Posted By: jetmanI suppose, but it's a great topic to talk with her about. WAY better than you know the Boy thing...
She will keep looking and reading we will find the next stage in her arsenal.

That is AWESOME…good times, good memories…

And set aside about $150.00 for a Geissele SSA-E trigger when they go on sale, usually about 3x a year. You're welcome !! Other members may recommend another, bottom line upgrade the trigger at some point.

Back