NYS Coyote Hunters

Hello Handgunr, thanks for the welcome. We do have more than our share of coyotes (I wish there was as many deer).The deer herd in my area has been way down for the last few years. Can't totally blame the yotes but they sure have contributed. Good luck to you this season.

ADK,

Thanks...........

Don't know if it's due to coyotes (doubt it) but our deer population over on this side of the state was terribly low this year. The NYSDEC said that the populations were down, and I kinda wonder whether it's more from them giving away too many deer permits over the last few seasons.
The season was so bad that many good local hunter's went empty handed, which is highly unusual.

There just isn't the carcasses found that would support coyote damage. We've seen several in the woods over the last few years that hadn't been touched for weeks. Then, only by fox, opossum's, skunks, and maybe a coyote or two.

Don't know.....I think DEC is creating revenue from the sale of licenses on a deer population that won't support them....no refund if you don't get one......if you get me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

Take care,
Bob

"Don't know.....I think DEC is creating revenue from the sale of licenses on a deer population that won't support them....no refund if you don't get one......if you get me."

I get you handgunr and I think you're right on the money.Hunting in the southern tier in the 1960's and 70's, where I hunted, it was common to see 15 to 25 deer in a days hunting.In those days a hunter could take one legal buck per season, if you were lucky enough to draw a "Party Permit" the party could take one additional doe. You had to hunt together, as a party which consisted of between two and five hunters, as I recall.Today, if the deer were there, you could theoretically take one buck on your tag, one doe on your bow stamp, one of either sex (depending on the area you are hunting in)on your black powder stamp and if you draw a DMP you can take another doe and in some areas two.That's a total of five deer per hunter!You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that it has been a money maker for New York State(General Fund).
Trouble is all of these years of mismanaging the herd has led us to the point we're at now.Hunt day after day in the northern zone and see very few deer.Not much better in many parts of the southern zone.I can't and won't totally blame DEC though, a good many hunters have wanted it that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hello everyone, I am in Chemung County, NY. and new to yote hunting. I have been an avid deer and turkey hunter for years and have decided to hunt coyotes until turkey rolls around. Any advice would be helpful for the yote huntin rookie! Looking forward to any responses. Take care and happy holidays!

ADK,

We're on the same page of music there.....I remember all those days of party permits, etc. Even though I can take all those deer on my Super Sportsman license, since last year I quit doing so and only take one, or what I need. I hunt for that big buck, and if he doesn't show during the season, I'll take a doe at the end for meat. This year nothing....hunted hard, but got disgusted and discouraged.

Hayzer912......welcome to PM..

NY coyotes are few & far between sometimes, but they are there and very rewarding when you get them to come in and nail one.
My hunting partner and I were discussing this while out in the woods hunting deer the other day. We both agreed that although they may be the same species as the western variety, they seem more closely related to wolves than their western brethren.
They are more elusive, much larger in size, and seem to act totally different. I've watched many video's of western coyote hunts and the yotes that are called in seem to respond more like our fox do up here. Sometimes leary and slow to come in, and other times blasting right in without a concern in the world.
Our coyotes 90% of the time will stop at the edges of cover and just sit there, apparently looking for the source of the calling to confirm that it's really dinner.

Now, when I call and get no visual response, I start to glass the woodlines for an image. Several times (even at longer ranges) I've seen them sitting upright looking my way. Just like they're waiting....

There's lots of great advice here at PM to get started...stick around........

Take care,
Bob

Finally went out, now that I'm not worried about messing up my deer hunting spots. Three stands in 2 hours called in 2 fox and a coyote. I missed the fox at less than 40 yards with the shotgun, so I went out and bought a Fiber Optic sight, hopefully I'll be able to see it at night. Thanks to this site and everyones input without it Im sure I would have only educated all of them due to poor setup. Also wanted to thank Andrew Lewand for his Predator Hunting seminar at Gander Mountain
356356.jpg

Joe....

Congrats....nice!

The halographic sights are excellent for that setup, and have come down in price quite a bit. You can shoot with both eyes open and don't have to peer through a tube. I use to use a dot sight, but the halo' sights are excellent. Even better than the old bead.

Good goin'......with deer season over, it's time to rock n' roll fer sure.....

Good score,
Bob

PS....Jezzolo......yeah, if you have a non-res license for small game, you can hunt yotes, fox, or whatever's in season.

Fox-(both reds & grey's) October 25th - Feb. 15th
Coyotes - October 1st - Mar. 26th

For $55.00 you better get over here and get your monies worth..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Bob

I had a nice holograpghic site on my last shotgun, which was also my waterfowl gun. This new shotgun is also my waterfowl gun, the problem was light levels would change and I would forget to adjust the intensity if the holograph. Lots of ducks got to live because of that. If the Fiber Optic dosn't work I was thinking about creating and using a small magnetic LED. I guessed the coyote weighed about 35-40 pounds, Ive seen em bigger, hopefully Ill see them the week of the Predator Hunting contest.

nice goin' outdoorsjoe22!!! i'm just curious, what kind of gun you shootin' and load?...and also what types of calls did you use? thanks. i'm new at this game, and just getting some info. that i can try!!

Goose212 Im shooting a Winchester SuperX2 (semi-auto) 3.5" 12 guage. Using Hevishot Dead Coyote 3 1/2". I brought out a bunch of calls but I used a squeaker for ~45 seconds, then I waited ~3 minutes then used my Dan Thompson PC2 for 30-45 seconds waited 4-5 minutes before I blew a second set, if necessary. Read the "Calling Tactics and Sounds" on this "Calling in the East" board. Good luck, this was my first coyote that is a confirmed kill.

Joe,

By fiber optic, do you mean the "TruGlo" type, similar to the optical bow pins ?
Not sure, but I'd think they'd be very limited at night, if you could see them at all, with the lack of light to make them glow.
Like I said, not sure there.....haven't used them that late.

With the older dot sights I had in the past, I had to turn them down at dusk or they'd obscure the target. I'd turn them down very dim, and it was great for fox using a shotgun.
The holograph's work even better than the dots as you don't have to peer through a tube and I can keep both eye's open.

My 2.....

Bob

Handgunr, you are correct. I bought the TruGlo fiber optics in hope it would pick up enough ambient light off of the snow and moon to glow atleast a little bit. No such luck, I took it out in the front yard last night and couldn't see it. I wish I still had my other shotgun with the holographic sight (Hakko Panorama), it would be perfect if I was only going use it for predator hunting. Im going to try and rig up a LED and see how that works.

I just scanned the last few pages, and it seems like most of you fellas are from the western part of NY. Anybody from over around Binghampton either in NY or PA? I'm thinking of taking a job in Owego and wondering if the calling's any good on either side of the state line. Thanks fellas
Steve

I think Hayzer is in Chemung County. I believe Owego is in that vicinity as well. Handgunr, I blistered one Saturday with the Muzleloader over in rattlesnake hill. Then, after hiking a couple extra miles, I found and printed a topo map of the area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stalker.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Cool.....I was hoping to nail one with my Omega too, but no show.
Rattlesnake showed some real promise when we were there, but the weather was real crappy and didn't give it much of a chance.
The three dogs I saw, just outside the state lands, were excellent furs, all three. Very full.

I was on my way back from a root canal, and when seeing them without a gun handy, the pain doubled..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

We've already planned to hit Rattlesnake Hill again, as well as Lost Nations, Cold Creek and Carlton Hill...all state lands.....most of our setups are on private property, and we have permission to hunt several thousand acres in our county, but the state lands are pretty good as well.

Biggest problem is the skier's and snowmobiler's on the weekends......we usually avoid them during those times.

Good job & good luck, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Bob

I am in Chemung County. Owego is less than an hour down ST RT 17 (soon to be I86) Lots of farm country. I never hunted down that way but I know there are lots of coyotes. I have a DEC buddy who said there are PLENTY to go around! Good luck!

Back