NYS Coyote Hunters

Bob:

My low deer numbers were in referance to the yotes killing fawns. But bear will do the same thing, and bear numbers seem to be on the increase as well. Yotes will kill off full size deer that are wounded during season though.

I also trap, and have had a number of yotes come into my fox sets. They havn't gotten into the set to work them, but have seen tracks in the snow leading upto with in a few feet of them.

I think the increase in yote numbers has shrunk the packs territory size, and that's why we are hearing more of them around this area. Used to be we'd only hear them in the summer.

Jim

thanks handgunr, good info here I will apply it to see if the change may be the ticket. again thanks for the time and info, good luck on your next outing,

I saw a huge reddish backed, white bellied coyote today at about 2:30 pm running through the deep snow just outside of Rushford. At first glance, I thought somebody had a german sheppard on the loose, but he crossed right in front of the car and it was definitely a huge healthy coyote.

man they can cover territory when they know they are spotted!

I too will try for them and foxes here after deer closes.

I haven't connected yet but figure I cleared most of the screw-ups and might just find 1 mentally challenged preditor this winter. Wait, am I describing myself......nawwww...can't be!

Best thoughts

imlvt

imlvt,

I head down through Rushford to the reservation about once a week or so for smokes & gas. Usually, I head down through Centerville, to Rushford, and then on to Cuba Lake to the Seneca gas station at Mineral Springs.
Maybe I better start carrying my shooting iron with me. There's a lot of lower brush bottom area down through there, as well as one of the state forest area's just south of Centerville.
It looks like a lot of good coyote cover down through there......really. I haven't seen anything over the past couple of years, but once the snow sticks, I'm sure it'll make things a lot easier to see.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Take care,
Bob

Handgunr,

I will try to help you out the best that I can as far as calling coyotes.

Are you timing your set-ups?
Are you doing any howling?
Is the vehicle hidden and noise minimal(wispering, shutting vehicle doors, crossing fences)?

I used to call coyotes(that's all I did when I lived in Colorado fo 10 years)and in Minnesota our terrain might be the same as yours.

Stay in the middle of a field, and bring them into the open. Lay down using a harris bi-pod. If you have to move, move the same speed as the second hand on a clock. Having a partner is beneficial to cover more area visually.

Let me know how it goes.

Good luck calling.

Mark

i live in livonia just south of rochester about 30 min. they say the pop. is good here but i've only seen a handful in my life during the day. do any of you guys hunt at knight. i went and got the lightforce 170 and mounted it on my AR. hopefully i can wax some this winter but being my first time hunting yotes i know there will be a lot of learning to do. do you all hunt from the ground or from a stand or both? what works best for you?

Mark,

Welcome & thanks.....

To answer your questions...

No, we really don't time our sets, and we usually give it no more than an hour or so at the very most. We hunt large area's and being that the sound carries a long ways, we like to hold up until were pretty sure that they're not coming.
We call then hold, and call again then hold, starting light and getting a little louder. The secret (at least around here) is to wait them out as they'll hold at the fringes until they're sure that it's a kosher meal.

They all say cunning like a fox....? Those dumb asses come flying in to a load of #4's or 5's. We can't get rid of them usually. You feel obligated to shoot them as it's fox season as well, but you're really wanting the coyotes.

I must be doing something right with the calls, as I've had some older seasoned fella's hear me over on another adjacent ridges calling and they said that it sounded like a cross between a coon and a rabbit getting the snot beat out of them. They said they couldn't tell it was a call, but maybe their just being nice.
I know the calls I use, usually call in every predator around for a distance.......the coyotes I'm sure are there and just waiting in the weeds nearby.

As far as vehicles are concerned...we never hunt near one. We park out on the lanes and usually walk from several hundred yards, to darn close to a mile sometimes before we set up.

I tried howling here.....both as a challenge, and as a response call. If you challenge howl, most of the time you'll get nothing.....and I know that they are there. I hear them when all's quiet, and I have a general idea (within a football fields distance) where their den is.

When the pack decides to open up and let loose with a howling session, I respond back with the same series, and they'll just shut up. Rarely do they respond. Even when I think I've done a series of howl's perfectly (for me), and with all the right responses too, they seem to shut down.
I've done them at night out behind my house, after hearing the howling from them.....they'd shut down, and within 5 mins or so, you'd see the sillhouttes coming across the snow in the moonlight out at 300 yds or so.

They'd make the brush lot out behing my place, and then disappear. Sometimes you can hear them snapping at each other, and so on. Kinda cool to have them in your back yard...at times, makes for some pretty hectic moments running for the rifle & ammo.

Hey Jimmie....welcome as well...

You're not too awful far from me either....about 35-40mins maybe.
I like hunting in treestands a lot.....left over from the deer hunting habits I guess.....I can see them coming in for a long ways, and fox & coyotes don't really have any threats from above, so even though they can & do look up from time to time, they aren't looking up all that much.
Not that they can't, they just work their head level, with their nose going 24/7.
Once they spot you in that stand though....you're toast. They'll always look at it.....that is, unless you end their career before they get away.

Most coyote hunting I do is on the ground with the aide of my hunting buddy. We usually set up with 360 degree view, in snow camo, and if mouth calling, somewhere in an open area, and preferrably, one with a nice brush island out in the middle. We'll utilize hedgerows, standing corn patches, etc., to make the best out of a situation, and in a lot of cases, appears ideal.
We're starting this year with an electronic setup as well, so it'll expand our library quite a bit.....and we'll see.

We have access to several thousand acres locally, and even some state lands as well, so success varies depending on hunting pressure from one area to another.

Sorry so long winded......

Bob

Hey guys,just thought I would chime in here. Good to see some WNY callers. I live in the town of Pendleton, which is about half way between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. I tried a little calling last year with some success (a couple of red foxes)using an E caller with tapes. This year, I am really excited and ready to go. I have a new Fox Pro with a remote and a new Savage 12 VLP in .204. I think by placing the caller about 100yds up wind or cross wind may be the way to not get busted. I want to hunt fox and coyote so I can get a little extra $$ to pay for the Fox Pro. Any suggestions on calling red foxes would also be appreaciated.

Encore,

I get the best responses on red's from using the standard rabbit distress calls, or squirrel distress.
It seems they'll come flying in over anything that sounds like it's in trouble (probably wanting to get in there before the coyotes get it).

I'm not familiar with your area much, but fox or coyotes aren't real particular about inhabiting near well populated areas. They seem to like it, to a point.
Personally, I'd put your FoxPro upwind from where you'll be sitting.
Problem is, sometimes they'll come in from below you heading upwind towards the call and catch your scent.
You can't always tell where they'll come in from, so you try to position things the best you can.
I've had better luck, when hunting with friends that use the electronic calls, to run them crosswind from our position. When the fox come into the call, they'll get downwind from the sound and head straight upwind to it. This puts us alongside it all and undetectable.

Currently, I use mouth blown calls and you know they're coming right for you, so you keep a stronger eye on downwind positions more so.

Good luck,
Bob

Sounds like a Western New York Hunt in the making!
We have Steuben, Allegany, Livingston and Wyoming Counties represented. I know that there are folks on here in Monroe County as well.

It could be the annual event of the Norhteast, and be a real blast.

Sound off on this guys. Should we get organized? I have PM'd a couple of you, lets hear from the rest, and set it up.

WNYS

Encore,

The simple answer, I guess, is no......but, it depends.

At least up here in the northeast, where fox will come charging in at times, very rarely does a coyote do that.
I've had fox fly past me so fast coming to my calls, that if they had hit me, even at their size, it would've knocked me clean over.
They're far less cautious about coming in to a meal than a coyote, and if hungry, they'll break speed records getting to you.

We've had coyotes trot visibly into the edges of an open area, and this, I consider, to be a desperate measure for them.
My first one met his demise this way. I was set up facing his direction and he wasn't sneaky at all about it. He came out to the edge of a wooded area, right at a logging road.......210yds.....bangflop....
A closer inspection uncovered why.......he had mange very badly, and a yote with mange needs far more food because their bodies burn so much more energy to keep warm and fight the affects of it.
He was out early and looking for a meal.
I haven't heard of any coyotes charging in up here in the east, but that's simple to figure because of all the cover for them to utilize.

You'll see fox mostly trotting in alert, but not spooky. Sometimes they'll be running, but mostly between a trot & a run. The ones that are the hard charger's are usually the one's who haven't seen a meal in awhile.
We call those the "shotgun red's".......they fly past sometimes like grouse....

The difference between the coyotes and the fox, I guess, is the amount of caution they both exhibit....the fox will check wind, and also come upwind to the call, but if they are beyond the call, farther upwind than it, they don't seem to have a problem heading downwind to get it.
I've seen fox that are downwind, cut diagonally across the wind to pickup a scent line, and when they get past where the call was coming from, even though they don't have a scent really, they'll turn back to the call anyway.

Coyote's might do that also, but they'll hold up in thick cover and eyeball everything first in hopes of confirming the suspected dinner.

Stalker........Encore's what...Erie Co. ?

Sounds like a group effort......never knew that many were calling around this part of the state.....?
Another week of muzzleloader...(no haven't seen a decent set of horns yet...bad year) and I can switch my frustrations over to smokin' fox & coyotes. Got my rig's all warmed up, and my loads boxed & ready to go.
Santa's bringing my new caller for Xmas...so I'll have to keep using the mouth calls until then. Can't wait to try some new recorded calls.....

Take r' easy,
Bob

Handgunr,thanks for the tips. I am in Niagara County.
danurve, the VLP in .204 is a great gun! Its a little heavy but it is buy far the most accurate rifle out of the box that I ever owned. I got it shooting 35gr Berger HP bullets, 3 shot groups @ .340" center to center all day long! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I'll have my CZ Varminter .204 for the WNYS Predator Hunt this year. Shot a woodchuck at over 300 yards with it this summer. Hopefully I will shoot straight when the pressure is on.

Hello folks. I'm new to the PM Forums and just wanted to say hello. Anyone on the boards from the lower Adirondacks?

I'm about 10 miles from Lake George. A good friend of mine lives in Saranac Lake, too bad he's not a coyote hunter. Where is Pendleton NY? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ADK,

Welcome........

I know the Lake George are pretty well....
Ahhhh, memories of Bike Week and the Tahoe Resort.....

Never hunted it though, but the area appears perfect for coyotes.....especially near the folks that live there.

Good luck this season...hope you hook up.
Bob

Back