7 STW vs 7 PRC

pyscodog

Whose top dog between these two? I saw a nice Sako 75 in 7 STW today. Not really interested in it mainly because I have very little interest in that large of caliber. Just curious which is the better round.

STW was an awesome round, I'm not sure how the ballistics compare but it's from the light/fast era before laser rangefinders made super long range shooting possible. The PRC is another heavy/super high bc bullet launcher.

Today, it's tough to feed an STW, I would avoid.

It's not really a apples to apples comparison. The STW has a considerable case capacity advantage over the new 7 PRC.

The 7 STW, 28 Nosler, 7-300Wby and 7-300PRC all have nearly the same case capacity (95-98gr H2O) so that's a better comparison.

If you're thinking the new 7PRC is just a necked down 300 PRC, it isn't. The new 7PRC is a much shorter version of the 300 PRC case and has considerably less case capacity.

The new 7 PRC, 7mm Rem mag, 7 WSM, and 7 Blaser mag all have nearly the same case capacity (80-84gr H2O) so they're a better comparison to one another.

My STW Remington Sendero is a real performer. It has a healthy appetite for powder, but it makes up for it in down range performance. I have no experience with the 7 PRC.

I shoot the 7mm RUM, which came out after the STW and I love it. Long range hammer. My main bullet for it is the Barnes 145 gr LRX but I have loads built up for it all the way down to 110 gr. All Barnes bullets. I took it to Africa and for that trip I loaded the Barnes 160 gr TSX. We shot 13 plains game animals with it and every one of them except one never took a step.
It does have a healthy appetite for powder, I think I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 93 grains of H1000 for the 145 gr bullet if my memory serves me correctly. But, it is not a caliber that you are going to go out and shoot 200 rounds in a day so I am fine with that.

I've had a couple STW's, 1st was a factory stainless Sendero, second was a custom build with a 28" Lilja fluted #5 contour, in a McMillan Sporter stock, topped with a Leupold Mark IV.

That 28" tube helped push 140 Swift Scirrocos to 3425. Killed one deer with it & sold it to scratch another itch.....

J2tHoLm.jpg

Quote:Try finding brass for the STW.
Very simple to transform a 375 H&H to 7 STW I make all my 8mm rem mag from 375s there half the price and way easy to do!

Jetman, elaborate a little if you don’t mind. Sounds interesting in making my on STW brass. What equipment are you using, process etc.?

The 7 may take two sizings I'm not sure.
With My 8 I just neck size down the 375 h&h brass with My 8mm rem RCBS die fill and fire form they shoot almost to the same POI as the already formed one. I would do an 8 then 7 to keep from crushing the neck Check the thickness I don't know if you'll need to turn some material to stop over tension. Nothing else to do after firing. Check the case lenth.

Last edited:
Back