Hornady Iron Press

AdamT

Anyone use the Hornady Iron press. Thinking about getting the kit that includes it with the auto primer setup. I have only ever been around RCBS stuff. Is the Hornady equipment acceptable? Trying to get my own equipment to eliminate having to travel and coordinate schedules to load something not available from factory, plus make the non standard cartridge options a little more realistic to use.

The kit includes a digital scale but I would most likely add a beam scale just due to familiarity and little more faith, something like a RCBS/Ohaus 502.

I had one. The biggest POS there is when it comes to reloading presses. I never wrecked so much brass or clipped my fingers with any other press. I threw it in the corner for a while and would try stuff on it once and a while. Finally, I threw it in the dumpster and never regretted it. Watch the videos and you see them always holding the brass and guiding into the die. You have to because the platform tips the shell holder forward. I went back and forth with hornady a couple times with it and got no where. The way they had the platform and shell holder was just bad engineering. Also the primer feed has springs that hook onto a tapered post, that comes to a point. Guess what the springs like to do every once and awhile. I give you a hint, "you better order extras".

Last edited:
I use the Hornady dies but have never used or even seen their press. I have two OLD RCBS press's that have loaded countless amounts of bullets and they just keep on working. If I ever bought new, it would probably be another RCBS.

Back