Can coyotes get bird flu from eating dead geese?

jetman

We have had hundreds of geese dead in the ice and, now in the water in the river. Still seeing many floating around each day.
There have been documented cases of bears having it and have had to be put down as well as raccoons.

The eagles must get it too. How about coyotes?

We went calling around one of our primitive irrigation storage revisors. we put 40 miles on the 4wheelers on two-track drifted-in roads. We made 20 sets in very good spots that I know have not been called for months.

This lake carries LOTS of waterfowl even when it is frozen. We saw one jackrabbit, no raccoon tracks, and one old set of coyote tracks. Last year the coyote numbers seemed to be in the midst of a good increase. This year I have been only out a few times because of either the wind or the amount of snow. The single coyote we called in yesterday was the first in 2 1/2 months of calling and travailing the backcountry.

I'm trying to get my head around this, Huston there is a problem.

Pheasants and sharptail seem to be few too, but that could be from the extreme cold and huge amounts of snow we have had.

I don't know, but maybe bird flu.

​

There are 2 types of avian influenza, low and high pathogenic. Obviously the high pathogenic is better at transmission, both in birds and interspecies infection. 39 and up degrees Fahrenheit is where mucous/contaminated organic materials spread virus began to have long term(many days) infection capacity. Freezing greatly reduced the chance/risk of transmission. So yes transmission would be possible between Bird/mammals.

This is from our local zoo last month in Western Nebraska……..

Tainted Goose Meat ID’d as Cause of Death for Riverside Discovery Center Big Cats

Last month, both of the zoo’s tigers and pumas died, with Avian Flu being cited as the cause of death. Additionally, one of the two grizzly bears also passed away earlier in 2022.

During Tuesday night’s Scottsbluff City Council meeting, Councilman xxxxxxxxxx who was recently appointed as the City representative to the RDC Committee- says they’ve pinpointed what caused the big cats to die.

“It was confirmed as Avian Flu, and they finally figured out the source, it was goose meat that was donated by hunters,” says xxxxxxxxx . “So it was the goose meat that contaminated the animals.”

He said the goose meat donation program has since been suspended.

Dang Looks like many of my best calling places are at risk then. We use our boat for 50% of our calling, big reservoirs, and river corridors. Water = geese= dead geese.
Well Spudds
cursing.gif

Game warden that used to tag my cats at the end of the season told me 20 years ago or more they'd picked up MILLIONS of dead snows and blues at a reservoir NW of here from some sort of bird flu. He said you couldn't imagine what it was like wading into all of it. Called in folks from all over the country to get it done before everything totally decomposed. I don't remember if I asked him all the reasons, but I assume it was in an effort to save as much other wildlife as possible.

Originally Posted By: wildflights@jetman Is the goose die-off due to bird flu? Crappy way to make that ASteel last.

Thats the determination.

Back