What R Your 20 Prac accuracy loads

Coyotejunki

I am trying to get the 32 vmax into tiny little groups. H4198 did produce a couple and IMR 8208 also.

What are you guys using?

bolt action or ar15. I am using 35gr bergers and either benchmark or 8208 with remington 7.5's for primers. I don't remember what the charge is. It has been along time since I loaded any. I would have to check my notes.

I am using 32 gr Sierras with H4198 and Remington 7 1/2 primers in Lake City brass. I think it is 28 gr but dont have the data in front of me. I am at 4000 fps and am going to drop it a couple grains. Currently it will consistently shoot 1/2” 5 shot groups. Used it to win the last couple PM egg shoots.

I've been running Exterminator and 35 gr Bergers. Shooting at night and self limiting to 200 yards with the Sightmark Wraith. Didn't want to use powder I couldn't replace and Exterminator is cheaper anyway.

OK, I am trying to set up a prairre dog rifle, Nobody seems to have the Sierra 32's, I still don't get why there is am ammo and rifle shortage.

I shoot a Savage 12 FV with a Shilen Select Match Grade Barrel 1/12 twist. Mine and my buddy's all (4 exact same rifles) like the 32 grn.Vmax with 8208 at 25.5 grns. Mixed brass doesn't seem to matter. Fantastic groups . B and C stocks, Rifle Basix Triggers set at around 6 oz. We have tried some other powders Varmint Pro has potential as a back up powder. H4198 was good but now very hard to find. Good luck with your search . The 20 Practical is a fantastic round and easy to use. Making brass is super easy , no need to fire form , just go shoot them.

Last edited:
Try to. Got another trip planned for Montana coming up in late spring. We have been heading up there now for about 17 years. Side trips into Wyoming and Idaho. Three years ago we shot 4000 rounds each over about a two week period. Last year the plague hit Montana bad we each shot about 600+ of 20 Practical and a couple of hundred 17 HMR. May take Montana a few years to come back. And you ? Still chasing the yotes ?

Last edited:
I run mine on a AR platform pushing Berger 35s over 26gr of H4895 with cci 400s.

Xcaliber barrel if I do my part I’m doing dime sized 5 shot groups at 100 dropped coyotes and fox DRT farthest shot has been 317yards

40gr NBT, H4198, and FED 205M primers. I had good luck with VV-133, but I ran in to pressure issues on hot days.

There are no P-dogs, gophers or coyotes left in Montana. They be all gone.
grin.gif

I shoot enough N-133 to make a 32 V-Max go 4100.

Running 2 separate rifles I have found great accuracy with 40vmax in one rifle and 32's in the other. Both rigs shoot the 32 load well. Can't recall the exact recipe except h4198 win brass and cci primers.

I shot a practical for years until I built my 1st 20-222 short neck. Anyway my favorite load was Berger 35gr with CFE 223. I used a 11 twist and would run around 3750 fps

I am finding great accuracy with 35 Bergers, which I like the best for coyotes. Now working on 32 vmax for rodents and such. Can't find any Sierra bullets in 20 cal.

Any place that sells the 35gr Bergers? This seems to be the bullet of choice for the 20P and I have never been able to find it in stock. I put myself on a back in stock list on some sites, but I'd like to get my hands on some.

25.6 imr 3031 Norma brass with a 40 gr BIB. My labradar says it’s going 3630 out of a 20 inch WOA. H4895 is fantastic with 35 grain bergers N133 was also good with 35 gr bergers.

I load 29.3 of LeverEvolution. Need a drop tube. I get right at 3790 with 40 Vmax and 3850 with 32 BTs in a 20" X-caliber tube.. It's a pain with a drop tube but VERY accurate.
I have some loaded with TAC I need to shoot.

Back