Digital night vision for a bolt gun

I will probably get tarred and feathered for saying it out loud, but the ATN 4k Pro or the ATN LTV lends itself well to either bolt action or AR style rifles. They have traditional scope tubes and take 30mm scope rings. They can be mounted low and back enough for good eye relief. I have had a 4k Pro for a few years and it has given good service. I have dropped a number of coyotes with it mounted on AR’s and bolt guns. I used my 4k Pro on two bolt rifles; a .308 Bergara and a 6mm Remington Ruger American Predator. I have picatinny rails on both rifles, making it easy to mount.

The 4k Pro sees very well with a good illuminator, records video and sound at the quick push of a button. It gathers light well, but from the Youtube comparison videos I have seen, the LTV has a brighter night time view requiring less illumination. The 4K Pro has a slightly better day time view. Other scope makes I have seen have built-in mounts that sit a little high and too far forward for bolt rifles, and are better suited to AR platforms.

I too can vouch for the ATN 4K Pro. It is very easy to record video and audio with. It has great battery life. I have found the battery to last pretty much the 16 hours they advertise. It is large and rather heavy though.

I also shoot airguns, so I wanted something lighter/smaller. If that is important to you, consider the PARD NV008P or the PARD NV008S. At about 1 pound, it runs close to 8 hours on one 16850 flat top battery. I use it on an Eaglevision fully adjustable mount to avoid shimming (often required with digital NV), and a Shader 8 shuttered adjustable iris front lens cover, from www.customhunting.uk

Cmatera, I am aware of the PARD, but have looked at other models. I don’t know much about them, just interested in learning more. If you don’t mind and have time, I would appreciate it if you could give a review of the 008 series, pros and cons, like…..

>How does it compare to the 4k Pro with regards to view and light gathering quality?

>I notice the 008P model has a base mag of 6.5x. Does it come with less magnification?

>Does it sit low / high off the rifle? I assume it comes with a mount.

>I assume by you mentioning it, that it will fit a bolt gun well and give good eye relief.

Just wanting to learn more about the Pard and appreciate any additional additional information.

Have you used the c50? There’s not much about it on the internet about it. Wondering if people would recommend it

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Cmatera, I am aware of the PARD, but have looked at other models. I don’t know much about them, just interested in learning more. If you don’t mind and have time, I would appreciate it if you could give a review of the 008 series, pros and cons, like…..

>How does it compare to the 4k Pro with regards to view and light gathering quality?

>I notice the 008P model has a base mag of 6.5x. Does it come with less magnification?

>Does it sit low / high off the rifle? I assume it comes with a mount.

>I assume by you mentioning it, that it will fit a bolt gun well and give good eye relief.

Just wanting to learn more about the Pard and appreciate any additional additional information.

I feel the view through the PARD is every bit as good as the ATN. Where it falls short, is the PARD does not have the wonderful Obsidian app that the ATN has, and the zoom is 6.5x or 13x. It is either or/not variable like the ATN. You have to use a third party app to view the recordings (OK Cam). Since I rarely post videos, it is not important to me, but obviously can be done:

You can see how it sits on the rifle in the beginning of the video. The fully adjustable Eagle Vision mount allows me to put the unit right where I want it and no shimming is required.

https://eaglevisioncam.com/shop/scope-mo...able-picatinny/

The Shader 8 shuttered front lens cap allows me to increase/decrease the light coming in to the scope which is very useful day or night.

The very best part is, the scope itself is only about a pound.
Hope that helps.

A very target rich environment for sure. Pard even has another model for +$300 that has a rangefinder built in, you press a button once to range, press again and it adjusts the reticle to show you the aim point for that distance.

I have two PARD scopes. I have the 008S-LRF (with BC) and the 008P-LRF. I like them but it's not what I'd pick for a bolt gun. I would look real hard at the Pulsar Digex C50 for top of the line NV in a bolt compatible scope. https://www.foxoptic.com/digital-product...scope-pl76635l/ Do not buy the older Pulsar Digex N450. The Digex C50 is reportedly a huge improvement.

That said, the PARD could be servicable but I'll point out the negatives. The FOV on 6.5x is pretty narrow. FOV is right around 20' @ 100 yards. They do have an option to order 4.5x which I believe increases FOV 50%. I would not put one on a hard recoiling rifle as eye relief is short. I've used them on a 223 and airguns to good effect and have recently moved one onto a heavy 243. The focus is very narrow. You will be changing the focus for changes in distance.

Positives for the PARD- it's small and light. It comes with an outstanding IR laser illuminator which will easily get you out 200 yards. The range finder is very accurate. Also the image quality can be fantastic. It can be focused for very close in shots. As I recall it was as close as 7 feet.

Last edited:
Should add that the PARD is 30 hz. Compared to 50 hz, which reduces the clarity of motion.

Youtube video below compares 30hz to 60hz on a split screen.

Originally Posted By: wildflights I would look real hard at the Pulsar Digex C50 for top of the line NV in a bolt compatible scope. https://www.foxoptic.com/digital-product...scope-pl76635l/ Do not buy the older Pulsar Digex N450. The Digex C50 is reportedly a huge improvement.

Have to disagree..I have both the N450 & C50. The C50 has daytime color capability but weighs 1/2# more, has a huge objective diameter (like 70mm)requiring XX-high rings and although a bit better software managing "washout" in vegetated fields is identical to the N450's performance. I personally find the N450 better for clear fields because it's super sensitivity that causes washout with high powered lights, also is what makes it so awesome with the slightest amount of ambient light(moonlight or city lights etc nearby).IF you run a 940nm on the N450(N455) it has no problems with washout or the light it came with. Sure the C50 has more bells and whistles and less washout when running too much light, but it's simply suppressing that light reflection with software at the expense of clarity in the distance. No free lunch..It's all about using the right IR with each of them.

I have the sightmark 4K mini in the 4-32 version on an extended bolt action mount. Works great out to 300 yds with a sniperhog 50 IR light. Super light setup and lots of extras like recording, FFP mil and MOA reticles.

Tv308, do you need a cheek riser along with that extended bolt mount? And what rifle do you have it on?

Last edited:
Back