Thermal Scope Mounting Trivia

topwater225

A little trivia question for you all about my thermal scope mounting:
My rifle has a 20 MOA rail. I have a Bobro mount that I’ve used for a couple of years. I previously was using an Iray Bolt scope, and zeroing it didn’t take much adjustment. For reference my elevation had to go up to around 23.5 to be zeroed.

Fast forward: I now have a Thermion. I went out to zero it and it was WAY high. I ended up needing to move the reticle up to 98.50! Everything seems to be mounted in the same locations (on the scope and on the base).

I can live with the reticle being so far up on the screen display, but it does bug me. So I’m going to try to move my Bobro mount further back on the 20 MOA base to essentially raise my reticle lowering my poi.

The question is why do you think there is such a discrepancy on the two scopes? Is my theory correct in adjusting the Bobro mount further back on the base?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: topwater225 So I’m going to try to move my Bobro mount further back on the 20 MOA base to essentially raise my reticle lowering my poi.
Is my theory correct in adjusting the Bobro mount further back on the base?
I'm not a mathematics professor, but I'm pretty sure it won't make any difference, 20 MOA is 20 MOA no matter it's position on the rail.

This is what I'm thinking....

The rail is canted (higher in the back and narrows forward. So I would think placement of the mount would make a difference in the reticle position.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMOA value will change with ring SPACING(distance between ring centers) on the rail.
True, but not applicable in this situation, as the scope is already mounted.

Yes scope is mounted to a QD base, mounted on a 20 moa rail, get a 0 moa rail. Get the sight display perpendicular to the barrel and rail.

Back