* give us reprieve *

Infidel 762

Staff member
Did sum day walkin’ and nite stalkin’

Unwinding after a long work week;

I try to be very careful and respectful on the properties the land owners allow me to hunt. I’ve never had anything catastrophic happen like shooting a structure or cow, but little mishaps are just inevitable. I have hit barbwire while shooting through fences. A couple nights ago I shot a coyote by an old homestead. I went back with the truck to pick it up, did not see a hotwire strung across the road by the barn and drove thru it. I was able to patch it but the gate handle broke. I was able to get it to function but the spring was stretched out of the casing. I called the landowner the next morning to tell him what happened and that I was coming back out to replace it. He informed me he had already seen it that morning and replaced it and not to worry about it. I could tell he was just happy that I called to tell him.

If I make a mistake I am going to make it right and little things like this definitely don’t take away from your name. Your name means a lot to the local farmers around here. A good name can get you access to more property. Any of you ever mess up on someone else’s property?

I also like to send them videos like this after I hunt. They have gotten me additional access to neighboring farms...

I have the privilege of hunting on 9 different properties and all have came about by being very mindful of the fact I respect the owner, the land and everything on it. Only thing I leave on the property is my footprint. Just acquired 2 more properties in the last 3 weeks so rotation time has increased and there is plenty of coyotes, hogs and armadillos. Gotta luv it!

Always pays to be honest with the landowner!

Another great video, Jeremy. What are you shooting, now (rifle/bullet)?
Whatever it is, you do it very well!

Regards,
Clarence

I don't think this site is completely dead yet
thumbup.gif

It doesn't look like they got their reprieve. No quarter.

Holy cow that's a pile of fur, good work! I wish I could get a quad to cooperate like that sometime!

And yeah, I've hit wires; I carry a stretcher and length of wire to fix small problems like that.

I also send videos to landowners, they seem to think it's cool and it also shows how much you can see through a thermal and it puts their minds at ease I think, to see that their cows aren't in any danger.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Always What are you shooting, now (rifle/bullet)?
Whatever it is, you do it very well!

Regards,
Clarence

Last couple years I been shooting a bolt rifle 22-250 on 90% of my hunts. When they deregulated night hunting a couple months ago I wanted consistent muscle memory when I hunted both day and night so I bought another savage model 110. A few hunts ago I shot a coyote and the bolt locked shut with a spent shell casing inside. I sent it back to the manufacturer. So while waiting to get my 250 back I threw my night optic on a Remington 700 in 308.

That rifle likes a heavier grain and shoots 165 grain fusion best from what I have tried. I know V-Maxs have mixed reviews by predator hunters. Everything I have ever heard is people either love or hate them. I get spinners using both but since I started using thermal I have been going back and watching the shots on the ones that spin. The one thing I noticed is I keep aiming low on them, I have been making a conscience reminder before I take every shot to not aim low, still going back and watching the video on some I still aim low, its strange cause I don’t think there is any way to get parallax on a thermal.

Most of my spinners are being hit in the sternum and joint that connects the shoulder to the front legs. I have shot enough with both rounds to form my own opinion that when placed in the vitals I still prefer that little 50 gr V-max over the larger 165 gr soft point. From what I am seeing is the larger round is passing thru and taking a lot of the kinetic energy with it. I have confidence using both rounds but I am still working on my shot placement to not hit them low.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR
And yeah, I've hit wires; I carry a stretcher and length of wire to fix small problems like that.

I also send videos to landowners, they seem to think it's cool and it also shows how much you can see through a thermal and it puts their minds at ease I think, to see that their cows aren't in any danger.

That was my concern when I started telling land owners I would be out in their pastures after dark. Them not realizing how far you can see and detect with thermal. On some of the videos I am literally set up on a fence line looking across a 640 acre one square mile section. The video shows trucks a mile away in the background making it look a little unsafe.

Thanks, Jeremy.

When I had to retire my 243WSSM AR for coyotes, I wanted a short bolt gun and first thing I picked up was a Savage Scout in .308. Looking at ballistics, the 110 gr. bullets approached velocities of the 87 gr. 243 Win, so tried to work up load but the Scout didn't like 110 gr. Varmageddons so tried 125 gr. NBT's and got around MOA groups using 46 gr. H4895 (cronographed 2910 fps). Altered stock but still didn't fit well.

Picked up a .308 BAR and it doesn't like most loads I tried, but did get close to MOA w/110 gr. Varmageddons, 47.9 gr. H4895 @ 3130 (book velocity, my cronograph gave up the ghost). The 110 hammered the few coyotes I've shot recently.

Gotta love your videos, keep 'em coming!

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: hm1996Thanks, Jeremy.

When I had to retire my 243WSSM AR for coyotes, I wanted a short bolt gun and first thing I picked up was a Savage Scout in .308. Looking at ballistics, the 110 gr. bullets approached velocities of the 87 gr. 243 Win, so tried to work up load but the Scout didn't like 110 gr. Varmageddons so tried 125 gr. NBT's and got around MOA groups using 46 gr. H4895 (cronographed 2910 fps). Altered stock but still didn't fit well.

Picked up a .308 BAR and it doesn't like most loads I tried, but did get close to MOA w/110 gr. Varmageddons, 47.9 gr. H4895 @ 3130 (book velocity, my cronograph gave up the ghost). The 110 hammered the few coyotes I've shot recently.

Gotta love your videos, keep 'em coming!

Regards,
Clarence

my biggest issue with the 308 is it not shooting as flat as the 22-250 im used to shooting and then there is the trying to judge distance at night learning curve. i have been ranging some after the shot and out beyond 250 with the 308 I am missing. i have greater confidence with the 250 at ranges beyond that.

Gotcha. The 110 might flatten out your curve a bit but sure no match for the 250. When I was getting out 3x week, I was comfortable to 250 (daytime) w/the 223; missed a coyote @ about that range with the BAR, but it was a hurried shot. I'm thinking 200 is about as far as I'd take the shot w/.308 since I haven't been out in a while.

Regards
Clarence

Back