#13 and #14 for the year

YoteslayerWA

I made it out Friday morning to do some more calling. The coyotes have definitely paired up at this point. I say 3 pairs and put down 2 coyotes.

First stand of the morning I started out with some invitation howls and had some respond off to my left. It was a very faint howl so I knew which direction to head for my next set. At about 14 minutes in I was getting close to moving when I catch movement to my 4 o’clock. It caught me by surprise because it was the direction I had walked in from and my truck was parked about 300 yards in that direction.

It was a pair of coyotes coming in and they were headed straight for the call. One was a little more ambitious than the other and I put it down about 30 feet from the call while the other coyote was about 80 yards behind. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the other coyote stopped and it got away.

The next couple sets I had some talkers but couldn’t get them to commit but I got a call from a nearby rancher that he had lost a cow the day before and he gave me a pin of its location.

I snuck into where he had told me to go and there was a lot of bird activity before I could see the cow. This is always helps to get an exact location but also seems to put the coyotes on alert that are also there. When I peeked over the hill I spotted a coyote sitting by the cow already looking at me. I took the shot from there which was 200 yards and my shot connected. There was a second coyote that was behind the cow but I missed a running shot on him.

These were #13 and #14 on the year for me which doesn’t seem like many to a lot of guys but to me it has been my best year. I still consider myself to be newish to hunting coyotes but I am refining my skills each time I go out.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Last edited:
Way to go! No apologies necessary. I don't have enough savvy to post pictures, so I usually just hunt and won't post the results because some say, no pics, it didn't happen.
That first coyote sure has some beautiful fur, that pelt might be worth saving. Keep it up!

The one laying on the rocks was a nice coyote. Even had a white tipped tail. I wish I knew how to skin them out and save a fur.

I opened your picture from the link you provided, right clicked on it and selected "copy image link", then clicked the 4th box from left above the dialog box and selected "Insert a non-floating image". Next remove the "http://" in the window and paste your picture link below:
https://uce86ab1c4f1d66b31ae0b10bc02.pre...nAoniN9A/p.jpeg

Repeated steps on 2nd picture:
p.jpeg
p.jpeg

Those are nice coyotes. Good job!

Regards,
hm

Back