Bait Pile Double

DoubleUp

This is a double I shot on the bait pile around 7:25 tonight. I had seen them at about 700 yds. last night. The male came in first tonight, and I had not seen the female. When I shot the male, the female came running in to check on him which is unusual. I had to wait until she stopped which ended up being 275 yds. out.

Bering Optics Super Yoter put the bullet where I wanted it. We've had so much rain that I could see best on black hot with both the Super Yoter and Phenom. True bait pile doubles have been pretty rare for me, and I was glad to get this pair. I normally put bait pile kills in the baiting thread only, but a 275 yd. shot with a 16 inch barrel on a 223 is a pretty good poke for me. Thanks to Satern/Liberty for buidling a very good shooting Wylde barrel.

#2829a by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Nice patience. The 2nd one sure was a jumper. It did lots of flips and tricks. Best part of it is you didn't have to waste any gas.

Good job on the double and a stretch for the 223!

Its amazing how different color pallets can look so different in different atmospheric conditions. When its really nasty I've found black hot to be the best as well to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along.

Nice shooting. I’ve never hunted a bait sight. Do you do any howls or calls around the bait sight when you know coyotes have been coming to it or do you just wait for them to show up on their own?

Thanks guys for the comments, appreciate them a lot. To answer your question Toro, I started out hunting over bait in 2011. The next year, I started calling as well using red lights. We managed to kill a few. Then a Sightmark Photon for shooting and a Pulsar 19a for scanning. I continued to keep the bait pile running and had sensors to notify me when a coyote showed up plus trail cameras on the bait site.

I do a few howls about 3 times a week usually just after dark if I'm not calling somewhere else. I have had coyotes to come charging out of nowhere, but usually they tend to show up a couple of hours later.

Back