30-30 Ackley

The little short 18" barrel is really loud and when fired it probably jumps 6-8" off my rest. My buddy suggested trying to hold it down to see if accuracy improves. I honestly can't say if it did or not. I bought a muzzle break for it today and hope that it helps tame the muzzle jump down. I know its not gonna help with the noise but I'll deal with that down the road. I have good ear protection. I just need a load that will keep groups at least an inch at 100yds. I can live with that.

I have the super 14 as a handgun. My load is with 130gr hornady ssp and IMR 4198. It is very accurate. Quite a few others have used 4198 with 125’s(especially 125 nosler)and had success. Might be a good try.

Ive not yet……but id try varget and maybe even leverevolution powder.

A rifle with that twist should be shot with the heaviest bullets IMO. It's more about being able to push a heavier bullet (Higher BC & SD) for more knock down power & range. Simply put, (& no offence intended) its not a varmint cartridge.

SSK told me I should be able to shoot 150's although so far it hasn't shot anything very well including 150 grain bullets. I plan on using it for deer and hogs as I have more than enough varmint calibers so I will keep going up in weight until I find something compatible with the twist but I don't want to shoot cannon balls either. On a good note, the break made the rifle much more manageable.

In the 14”handgun length, the lighter bullets(125-130) do not act as varmint bullets at the lesser velocities. Idk about the 18” and longer lengths but that is only 4” more barrel. Maybe gain roughly 100fps over a 14”??
I dont think id want to go over 150gr myself, but love hearing what you come up with.

Back