Looking at getting New Rifle

Originally Posted By: bigtommyOriginally Posted By: alf
Now you need to define usage before picking out components like barrel contours and stock options.

Scopes, rings, & bases come into play as well.

Building too heavy and/or out of balance will find you leaving it home more often than not.

That is very valid point. Main uses will be target and some hunting. My hope is to stretch it out to 800 yards but I’ve been saying that for a few years. I never seem to get to trimming the trees in the woods to stretch out my range. I do not want the gun too heavy so that I never take it hunting but would like to be able to shoot nice groups at distance. Any input is appreciated. I’m currently shooting a tc icon 243 that shoots 70 grain pills into clover leafs. I also have my 223 AR that shoots nice groups also. So my main use for hunting would be deer sized game.

A Bartlein 3B is the exact same contour as a Krieger or Brux #5, and is a great compromise for size vs weight. I would finish it at 24", as it would only add a couple ounces over the 22". Also, it looks just fine in a stock that's inletted for a Remington Varmint contour.

The Bravo is a great option for stocks, but not as "nice" to carry over a conventional stock. Bonus if you want detachable bottom metal, as you won't need to buy any with the Bravo.

yvyiBlr.jpg

I would look at a Grayboe stock as well over the Boyds. Pillars are installed, and you could get by without bedding. It has pretty good ergonomics for hunting and bench use. You can get it for M5 bottom metal or regular BDL.

https://redhawkrifles.com/grayboe-terrain-fiberglass-stock-remington-700-m5-dbm/

Grayboe with a 25" Krieger Remington Varmint contour:

72azo6a.jpg

Back