Baiting

Well, the coyotes returned tonight. By the time I got into position for a shot, they were departing. All was not lost though as they returned a few minutes later. The one I squeezed the trigger on dropped like a rock from the Grendel and 90 Varmageddon. The other one was further up in the field and trotted off. He didn’t appear to be very scared so I am hoping he will return. I am sending this via my iphone. Will work up a video later.

I was about out of bait and put a skinned coyote carcass on the "pile". Do any of you guys do this? I had one coyote at my old spot that I shot on a rainy night and let it lay till morning. When I went to retrieve it, it had been fed on heavily. Been about 3 days with no more visitors other than buzzards and possums. Maybe I messed up.

6mm06 has been asking about the night vision capabilities of the Wraith Mini. I took some video last night of a red fox on my bait pile at 100 yds. I have a 196 LED IR 850nm light mounted on the back of my shop which stays on during night hours. Part of the video is with just that light, and then you can tell when I turn my weapon mounted IR on as it clears and sharpens the video.

The advantage of a separate mounted IR light like I have on the back of my shop is that you don't get the IR blindness after the shot. I can't shoot red fox here at night, and don't have any urge to shoot them even if I could, so I'll have to wait for a coyote to show up on the close bait pile, but then I might just go to thermal instead. Anyway this will give the curious some idea of the night view from a Wraith Mini.

Thanks guys, I really like the Wraith Mini. If all my coyote hunting had to be from a bait pile then it is all the scope I would need. My one dislike is that I have to remove the micro SD card to get the videos from the scope. It has a large array of reticles, even FFP, and several different colors plus 6 rifle profiles I believe. It has held zero very well on the 6x45, and I plan to kill my one deer with it next fall using 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. They shoot almost one hole in this rifle.

That image is far sharper than my original Wraith HD. For a set distance out to 125 yards it works but you constantly have to focus them at varied distances.

For the price that Mini gives a great picture for bait hunting.

Yep, I too think digital scopes work very good at a bait site and a known distance wherein the focus can be preset and ready when a coyote shows up. My old home-made night vision setup works equally as well as a bait hunting scope. I have used the ATN 4k Pro digital to take numerous coyotes on the bait, and it’s actually easier to use the way I have the cabin window rigged than is the thermal.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI was about out of bait and put a skinned coyote carcass on the "pile". Do any of you guys do this? I had one coyote at my old spot that I shot on a rainy night and let it lay till morning. When I went to retrieve it, it had been fed on heavily. Been about 3 days with no more visitors other than buzzards and possums. Maybe I messed up.

I do. I have a photo of a coyote that was shot on top of 3 other coyotes in various states of decomp. She died with her mouth locked on one of the dead.

Contrary to popular belief, coyotes are not put off by other dead coyotes. Some of the trapping bait/lures contain various coyote parts including the foot pads. They are a component of "gland" lures. That includes a length of the large intestine and anus.

FWIW possums seem to have a preference for decomposing possums. Given a choice they'll feed on those possum carcasses before eating anything else.

Last edited:

I am finally getting around to posting the video from the other night. These two coyotes have hit the bait three times and we finally met up. Despite fog most of the day, I was able to hunt that night as it began to lift somewhat. Humidity was 89%.

The alarm sounded just before 8:00 PM, and by the time I got the scope turned on and recording, and in shooting position, they were leaving. I figured they would be back (coyotes do this often). They returned within a few minutes.

I shot the male and at the time didn't see the other one. It must have been over the hill out of sight. Not sure if the other is a male or female. It didn't appear very scared and just trotted up the hillside. I hoped it would return, but it didn't. I stayed again at the shack last night just in case, but it was quiet all night except for the pesky red fox that is a regular.

I used the 6.5 Grendel, 90 gr. Varmageddon, and Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal scope which has proven to be a great combination.

This one is a pretty coyote, different in color from most I get here that are salt / pepper colored with black guard hairs.

52668532702_5106b77d0c_b.jpg

52669318214_a38be454e8_b.jpg

52669528458_49cd4489fb_b.jpg

I just now noticed an error in my video. The Grendel shoots 90 gr bullets, not 110 gr. The 110’s are for my 308.

UPDATE: I corrected the error.

Back