Wind,Sleet,Thunder,Lightning and 17 Degrees

Terry Lightle

Went to a ranch I have not called since Sept,get there and there is power line pole replacement going on along with a gas pipeline going in.You seen the weather conditions above,but did what we do and started making sets.Second set about 5 minutes in see birds flying out of a draw so move my sticks looking down it.About a minute later I see him coming pretty hard,start trying to stop him and he will have no part of it.It is getting to be shoot or he is gone.Barked at him once more,he slowed so I put the cross hairs on his throat and sent it.The 53 grain V Max hit him in the left nostril and folded him.Even an old man like me gets lucky sometimes.Called in one more but he came in behind me downwind and left doing all he could.

Last edited:
Congrats on some tough conditions. Thats one of the many challenges of daytime sets, not only do you have to figure out how to trick a coyote, you have all these man-made distractions!

I've found that once you know a coyote is coming, turning the volume way down or off really helps getting the hard chargers to stop.

There is a lot of new power lines and poles being upgraded for all the new wind turbines in our state. Those turbines are noisy but the coyotes around here adapt to them. I have literally called them in beneath them while they are spinning. Maybe some shy off from the huge blades spinning over them but I know some don’t mind it at all. I also used to think you could gage wind direction by them by paying attention to the direction they are facing while out driving about but sometimes they are quartering into the wind. And it’s not just low speed swirling wind effected by thermals or nap of the earth, I have seen it occur during steady winds at around 15 mph. I pay more attention to the direction the dust is blowing, being kicked up behind my truck on a county road than the direction the wind turbines are facing.

I think they are a left wing gimmick cause they have loud motors turning them and the blades sometimes spin when I know the wind is not at a speed strong enough to make them turn without the motor running.

Love it when the Coyote Early Warning System (birds) goes off…I’ve gotten my share thanks to them…we’ll done sir.

Over lots of time afield and trying to learn on each outing, watching and listening to the resident wildlife is a key component to success in predator hunting. Even domestic livestock can be a real help as they will always look toward anything approaching, especially if they have newborns. Predator hunting/calling is a fascinating pursuit!

Back