Rem 600 223

pyscodog

One for trade on the Campfire. I knew they were scarce but WOW. Only 315 made in 223 and the price is HIGH to say the least. One on Guns International sold for $6500. The guys over at the Campfire were telling the owner some pretty high numbers so I did a little search and they were actually low. A couple of years ago a guy sold one on Accurate Shooter site for $595. I bet he sure feels stupid letting it go that cheap today. Never thought a rifle that sold new for $99 would be worth $6500 today.

There are a lot of 600s that were rechamberd from 222 to 223. 600s in 223 were never cataloged and most of them went to Law Enforcement. I had/have one of the very few that went to civilian sales. It was delivered to the Embassy Gun Shop in Taipei Taiwan, two were shipped there and I bought one for $69. The really sickening thing was I thought it was the ugliest rifle I ever saw and had the AF armorer rip off the rib,mill off the rib studs and round off the square forend. This was 1966, who would have thought that cheap little rifle would ever be worth the money they command today.

I will say it has been an awesome rifle, even winning a informal.club bench rest match. It killed a lot of critters from gophers to deer. The barrel was finally toast and I had it rebarreled to 6x45 in the early 90s, it is stills doing its job.

From late Dec. 2022
ae38DG.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy bought one in 243 about three years ago for $300. I bought a 243 in 99% condition about six or 7 years ago of GB for $460 shipped. I installed a Jard single stage trigger set a 1 1/4 pounds. Glass bedded and free floated the action and barrel. It will cloverleaf 90 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Great walking rifle. My buddy also has a half dozen of them in other calibers. He has a few in 308. He had a customer never pick up one from his shop in 6.5 Rem mag for years and ended up owning it by default. The 350 Rem Mag’s he has both kick like a mule. They make great light weight and compact calling rifles. About the lightest 243 walking rifle your going to find that WAS cheap. Shot a deer with it last year and did a post here on it. Dropped it in its tracks and never even flinched with a 90 grain ballistic tip. Broke through it shoulder blade and stopped after it passed through the blade on the opposite side just under its hide. I love the looks of the vented rib and big shark fin front sight blades.

Last edited:
Just found my way back into PM. It seemed it was down for quite a while and I when clicked on it by accident a day or two ago it came up! Made me happy!

I have a 600 in 6mm I got it a great trade in a pawn shop here in La Crosse, WI in the late 80's. Since then I have killed more deer with it than I have even kept track of. Been watching for one in .308 but they sure have gone up in price. At my age it may not be a reality but then...I have 2 Grandsons and don't want them to fight over one gun...I DO have a Leupold 3X9 that needs a home...it's on my bucket list...and many other very legitimate reasons I ought to have one.

Good to be back!

Moosetrot

Moose trot , just wonderin, did you buy that 600 at Wiebke’s?
I went to school in La Crosse and really liked that store…they got plenty of my $.
Count your blessings living in a neat area.
By the by, too bad I’m not closer, I’ve got a nice 600 .243 you could talk me out of…

2milehighguy-No, I got it sometime in the mid to late eighties at a place called North Side Pawn in La Crosse. I looked at it for a couple months with a price of $265 on it. One day I got lucky and bought a Ruger 10/22 for $50 and took it and $100 cash to North Side Pawn. I think he may have been tired of me fondling that gun and he took the Ruger and $100 cash for it. It also had a Redfield Widefield 4X scope on it. North Side Pawn went out of business sometime in the early 90's I think.

I have spent a lot of time and money at Wiebke's. Always been good folks to deal with.

This is a nice place to live for sure. Plenty of hunting, fishing, and trapping to be had!

Moosetrot

I'd settle for a 600 or 660 in .222 at a decent price. They've gotten very pricey, too. I have a 660 in 6.5 Remington Magnum that I love, and a project gun 660 in .308 that I'm reworking the stock on.

Back