AR-10 advice

Newbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

on that Ruger AR SFAR in 308, couldnt a person put a different barrel on it, say like a 243 or 6cm and all should match up wouldnt it?

Originally Posted By: MeyerwyNewbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

on that Ruger AR SFAR in 308, couldnt a person put a different barrel on it, say like a 243 or 6cm and all should match up wouldnt it?

as long as the barrel extension was the correct pattern, you are correct it could be swapped out as those share the same bolt face. the trick will likely be finding someone who makes replacement barrels this early on.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: MeyerwyNewbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

as long as the barrel extension was the correct pattern, you are correct it could be swapped out as those share the same bolt face. the trick will likely be finding someone who makes replacement barrels this early on.

+1 to what Plant posted. The barrel extension helps set up and keep the head space when the chamber is bored...so assuming it's a good quality barrel manufacturer it should be an easy swap...when/if they are available...

Because most AR-10/LR-308's are based off of .308 family of calibers the extensions are the same...in the AR-15 things can get a bit trickier...most barrel manufacturers us M4 extensions but some calibers have a bit more width to the cartridge and may have issues getting up the ramp...

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: MeyerwyNewbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

+1 to what Plant posted. The barrel extension helps set up and keep the head space when the chamber is bored...so assuming it's a good quality barrel manufacturer it should be an easy swap...when/if they are available...

Because most AR-10/LR-308's are based off of .308 family of calibers the extensions are the same...in the AR-15 things can get a bit trickier...most barrel manufacturers us M4 extensions but some calibers have a bit more width to the cartridge and may have issues getting up the ramp...

dpms LR308 pattern and armalite AR-10 pattern use different barrel extensions. its one of the things that do not cross over on the various ar-308 pattern firearms as i understand it. i also know that DPMS-GII are also a proprietary barrel extension - or at least not compatable with a DPMS/LR-308 pattern barrel and barrel extension. so thats at least 3x different barrel extensions on various ar-308 platforms.

i suspect (stipulated - cannot confirm at this time) that this new ruger being a otherwise proprietary platform due to the nature of its design, likely uses its own barrel extension too.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: MeyerwyNewbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

dpms LR308 pattern and armalite AR-10 pattern use different barrel extensions. its one of the things that do not cross over on the various ar-308 pattern firearms as i understand it. i also know that DPMS-GII are also a proprietary barrel extension - or at least not compatable with a DPMS/LR-308 pattern barrel and barrel extension. so thats at least 3x different barrel extensions on various ar-308 platforms.

i suspect (stipulated - cannot confirm at this time) that this new ruger being a otherwise proprietary platform due to the nature of its design, likely uses its own barrel extension too.

Isn't that always the case...if they can make our lives more complicated they will...

Just to stir the pot, I bought a new AR-10 in .243 from Rock River Arms. As some of you know Rock River makes much military arms. I enjoy shooting it, barrel is cryogenic, so shooting on the range doesn't change the point of impact that much. Only heat waves from it. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: MeyerwyNewbi AR owner/shooter..been using and still do bolt guns but am playing the AR angle as well.

Isn't that always the case...if they can make our lives more complicated they will...

A couple of points here: I accidentally ordered an Armalite pattern barrel from BHW years ago and ran it with a DPMS bolt, other than the gas port is 1/4" further forward so my gas tube was short, it ran just fine for over 1k rounds. No issues or dimensional differences that I could tell, but that doesn't mean that there isn't and I don't recommend trying it.

Second, the G2 is much smaller in diameter and completely different.

Third, the SFAR is also going to be much smaller and completely different than any of the others. I'm not sure how close it is to the POF it closely mimics. Honestly I don't know how they found enough room in that small of an upper, there can't be much meat left on the barrel tenon, I would love to see one taken apart.

So to answer Meyerwy, yes you could put a different barrel on the SFAR, but nothing that is currently available. I suspect there will be at some point if Ruger makes the barrel extensions available or someone copies them.

Whats amazing is how much difference an ejector spring has on where your brass lands.

My JP bolt will throw 308 cases back into the next county, over at the 4:00

The DPMS bolt coughs them out close, at the 12:45 - 1:00

My Brownells Nitride bolt seems to put them at the 1:30 or so with somewhat normal force.

I found things work fine with the rifle stock, 308 rifle buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring.

FYI for everyone, i asked BCA about their right side charging BCGs.

Anthony Oriolo bcatech@bearcreekarsenal.com via bearcreekarsenal.zohodesk.com
10:25 AM (17 minutes ago)
to me

BCG is nitride, Bolt is phosphate

Originally Posted By: berrnardFYI for everyone, i asked BCA about their right side charging BCGs.

Anthony Oriolo bcatech@bearcreekarsenal.com via bearcreekarsenal.zohodesk.com
10:25 AM (17 minutes ago)
to me

BCG is nitride, Bolt is phosphate

maybe they made some changes, i just checked my 6.5CM upper from them (20" heavy SS fluted, RH sidecharger) and both the bolt and the carrier are melonite. its a couple years old at this point [beeep]

I’ve got a Larue ar10 OBR
A little heavy? Yes
Nightforce 2-10 X42
But on those windy days calling, the 130 grn hollow points from federal are absolutely bug hole shooting RPG’s
And I mean graphic…..

I shoot suppressed also with a brake/adaptor
I get to see it all

I’ll take an ar10 on windy days for multiple dogs coming in over anything else

Back