22-250AI

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I've played with wildcats for a number of years, having been one of the first to wildcat the 204 cartridge, building rifles in 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204 the year 204 brass became available (2004). I've shied away from Ackley Improved rounds due to the need to set back barrels to properly rechamber an existing standard chambers. Also the the need to waste/use components to fire form rounds.

I've been shooting a standard 22-250 for a long time. This fall I bought a 22-250AI barrel with 130 pieces of formed brass and dies. I impressed with the round, it fed great from my old Rem 722 that started life as a 300 Sav. The case is pretty modern looking and is easy to load for.

The first day out in the field I was able to blood it with a nice coyote.

I'm still not enamored with AI cartridge when other cartridges can give you the same ballistics without the gyrations in dealing with a new build but being able to build one and have all the brass already formed it has been a great experience.

I have a Rem 700, 22-250AI. One of my favorites if not my favorite rifle. I shoot Varget powder and a 52 grain Berger. I don't run it as hard as I could but it shoots nice little groups.

I'm just about to order a new Brux blank that will be chambered in .22-250AI. The .22-250AI barrel it's replacing makes four .22-250AI barrels I've worn out now. Fair to say I like the round.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI'm just about to order a new Brux blank that will be chambered in .22-250AI. The .22-250AI barrel it's replacing makes four .22-250AI barrels I've worn out now. Fair to say I like the round.

- DAA

Dave, are you familiar with or know anything about Bartlein's 400MODBB barrels? It's a different stainless material than the standard 416 SS material and they're supposed to last 1.5-2 times longer than the standard 416SS barrels. They cost a little more $555 vs $412 but if they last longer it'd be worth it.

Certainly nothing against Brux, my 22-250 wears a Brux and they make a top tier barrel for sure.

If you have any interest in knowing more about Bartleins 400MODBB barrels give them a call and talk to Frank Green. Frank is a really good no BS kind of guy and will tell you straight up if he thinks one of their 400MODBB barrels will last longer for you in your application.

Love the 250 AI. A lot of people feel the way you do, and some even despise the AI cartridges. I agree that a lot of times it can feel like you’re “reinventing the wheel” like we were talking in your other post.

But it really can have its advantages. Especially for a reloader. Brass life is way extended, and it can actually save you money.

My 25-06 AI is a ballistic twin to the 257 Weatherby. My 243 AI is identical to the 240 Weatherby. But you’re paying Weatherby price on Weatherby ammo, and I’m not. And my case life has extended for reloading. So that’s part of why I like it. (At least that’s what I tell myself to make me feel better?!)

B23, no, I'm not familiar with the 400MODBB barrels. I wonder if they need any special attention when chambering?

I put in an online order to Brux already though. Just waiting for them to call me for payment.

- DAA

What grain/type bullet are you shooting? And barrel twist? The guy I coyote hunt with is having trouble finding a load for his. Not terrible but not what we were expecting either.

I ordered a 12T, same as the old one. If it likes 53 Vmax, that's what I'll feed it (I have a ton of them). If it doesn't like those but does like 55 Vmax, I'll feed it those (I have a ton of them). If it doesn't like either of those I'll be ticked off, lol! It's a dedicated 'chuck launcher. The blank I ordered is a #9.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI ordered a 12T, same as the old one. If it likes 53 Vmax, that's what I'll feed it (I have a ton of them). If it doesn't like those but does like 55 Vmax, I'll feed it those (I have a ton of them). If it doesn't like either of those I'll be ticked off, lol! It's a dedicated 'chuck launcher. The blank I ordered is a #9.

- DAA

53gr Vmax is one of my all time favorite 22 caliber bullets and pretty much all I shoot in my Brux 12tw 22-250 and Hart 9tw 223AI. Both rifles shoot those 53 Vmax exceptionally well. I'm sure you'll be able to find a load it likes. I've been shooting those 53 Vmax since Hornady first came out with them and they've been a very forgiving bullet. I've jumped them a mile and seated them up close and they still shot really well.

He’s trying to shoot 50s. I shoot the 53gr Vmax out of my 223 AI and will swear by them. He’s got a bunch of 55gr Vmax he’s going to try first before he buys a 52-53 I guess.

How are those Speers on fur? About the normal? I have no experience with them other than a 130gr in 7mm.

It is my goto in my 222 Rem, 223, 5.6x50R Mag and the 22-250's, it works well for me. Inside 30 yards it is a little hard on pelts with the 22-250 and 22-250 AI, give it a little distance it works well in them.

Last edited:
I love the 22-250AI I usually chamber one and fireform the cases while in a prairy dog shoot. I end up with about 400 cases reload each one 4 times and then start over. The way I shoot our coyotes in Ohio is over dogs and it's extremely rare to get a shot on one that is not trotting in front of the Dogs (Beagles) the speed of the AI really helps me hit them while moving. I am not sure what the velocity is because my Lab Radar will only go to 4000 and it wont read it. Hitting a crow with it is just amusing .

Yeah but that close at those speeds it just happens haha. I’ve never messed with any of the Speer bullets really. I’ve always been the big red H or Nosler.

I had really good luck with 40gr NBTs. I could shoot deer and coyotes both with them no issues. I always thought that was nice

I have used the 40gr NBT in my 22-204 for the past 17 yrs and am very happy with the results I get from it. It is the only bullet I've used for coyotes that has been consistently easy on pelts other than the 52gr Speer.

Last edited:
The 25-204 is a clone of the 257 Kimber without any fire forming and using off the shelf dies.

Speed wise 100gr Partitions at 2850fps, 85 NBTs at 3000fps and 75gr Vmax at 3150 pretty much matching the original factory ballistics of the 250-3000 and 257 Roberts and all out of 21 inch barrel. Even with the 75s it's too much gun for pelt hunting, the 100gr is perfect for Whitetails.

Back