Deer season is over, time for some predator hunting

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Npow that most of the deer seasons are over, I have access to do some calling. Went out for the first time since summer Friday night.

It rained most of the afternoon, but stopped about 7pm and figured it would be good after the rain.

To my surprise the first 6 stands were a blank with nothing seen at all. But, on the 7th stands about 11 pm, I had eyes almost immediately after turning on bay bee cottontail. It was coming fast, and I recognized it was a fox. It was only a minute or so into the call, so I decided to give him a pass and he came within 10 yards and then I last sight as he circled around into some thick stuff up hill from me. A few minutes later I had eyes again down hill, but circling left this time where the fox had came almost staight in, and I saw it was coyote which I dropped first chance I got.

After a couple of more minutes I hit fox distress and immediately had the fox back behind me barking at me. He had circled completely behind me and I am sure was on the oil well pad where I parked the truck, and dead down wind. I never saw him again, and went to collect my coyote.

52640699742_ce356ed94d_c_d.jpg

It drove to another spot to make the last stand of the night as it was getting late. I setup in the woods on a cross road with an acre or so food plot/log set and hung the caller in a small tree, and again played bay bee cottontail. Within 2 minutes I had a bobcat come down the woods row to my right and he was already stopped facing me and looking when I got eyes on him. I made a pretty good shot on him considering the small target and was slightly left on hit thru the left shoulder as he was facing me. He dropped immediately and nothing else showed.

It was a female about 16 pounds or so I guessed. I did skin it and will have to do a little sowing.
52641210276_347f4af9d8_c_d.jpg

I don't know if it was just getting good as it got latter or what, and maybe I should have tried a couple more spots, but I had already called most of what I thought would be good spots and called it good for the night.

52641210281_f2cce9586a_c_d.jpg

Hope to get out again this week.

Back