Bushmaster is BACK!

Here again they are using faster twist barrels for the heavy weight bullets. Not everyone wants to shoot heavy for caliber bullets. Me included. Not being an AR guy, my opinion doesn't matter much.

Twist rate is irrelevant. My 1-7 twist 5.56 barrel shoots 50 grain Vmax with 25.5 grains of Benchmark into sub 1/2 MOA.

Originally Posted By: MPFDTwist rate is irrelevant. My 1-7 twist 5.56 barrel shoots 50 grain Vmax with 25.5 grains of Benchmark into sub 1/2 MOA.

its not that twist rate is irrelevant per say.... but its just less relevant for lighter for caliber bullets than it is for heavy for caliber bullets.

you cant over stabilize a short bullet, but you sure can under stabilize a long bullet but not spinning it fast enough (too slow a twist).

the risk on light for caliber bullets is high RPM overcoming the jacket in super light jacket varmint bullets and them going *puff* once they exit the barrel. not many of those out there these days that i'm aware of though or read about, the 50gr vmax is tough enough to spin in a 7 twist pretty hot without coming apart.

i shoot 55 vmax in my 1:7 woa and they give a nice little clover with a stout cfe223 charge.

Originally Posted By: MPFDTwist rate is irrelevant.
Depending on your accuracy requirements, this can be a true statement.

The ultimate in accuracy is better served by matching the desired bullet to twist rate.

After posting my twist rate comment I guess I have to back track a little and agree that just because you have a fast twist barrel doesn't necessarily mean you are required to shoot heavy bullets. My 6 CM has a 1-7.5 twist barrel I had installed just for the heavies and it shoot light bullets better than the heavier weight bullets.

What grain bullets are you shooting? Just got my 6 creedmoor, also a 7.5" twist. Hoping to get good velocities using the 87 gr V-Max.

Originally Posted By: crapshoot

That's good news. My first AR was a Bushy Predator purchased used from PM member and even though AR's are no longer allowed on the ranches I hunt, it is one of my all time favorite coyote rifles and still one of my most accurate rifles.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996

That's good news. My first AR was a Bushy Predator purchased used from PM member and even though AR's are no longer allowed on the ranches I hunt, it is one of my all time favorite coyote rifles and still one of my most accurate rifles.

Regards,
hm

my first AR was also a bushmaster, but just a basic 16" ORC. and boy was it a shooter. still is. 55vmax almost stack themselves out of that barrel. dirty holes at 100 yds and nickle to quarter-ish groups at 200. i gotta be doing my part well, but the barrel with handloads is very capable
smile.gif

once i realized how nice it shot, i traded my 700 varmint for a VXIII cuz i didnt need that long heavy thing anymore to shoot critters well, a nice optic would be way more usable to me
thumbup.gif

just dont run that upper a lot these days because my 20" 1:7 woa is my baby lol

that original bm lower is still my primary lower (timney, silent capture spring, ctr, hogue overmold). there's a *lot* of trigger presses on that lower over the last ~12 ish years and various calibers its worn
smile.gif

if that rifle wasnt everything it turned out to be, i dont think i'd be anywhere near of an ar fan as i am

I use a 30 year old bushy with my thermal
It is a 1-9 twist with black hills 50 grn vmax reman
I don’t save hides, good thing, hits look like a gernade went off
That bushy in a HBAR is dang accurate

Sounds like - consistent with the Bankruptcy proceedings - a more accurate title for this thread would be: “Someone else is putting Bushmaster labels on AR’s again.”

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorSounds like - consistent with the Bankruptcy proceedings - a more accurate title for this thread would be: “Someone else is putting Bushmaster labels on AR’s again.”

i see no lies.

but by that premise, we havent seen a "real" bushmaster since sometime in 2006, and even mind comes from the Remington ownership days via freedom group/Cerberus capital management era

Bushmaster was my first AR. I bought it after being shot at in the mountains by 3 illegal aliens.

They were drug dealers.

Back