cover scents

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickt300

I used for a time a bottle of skunk essence. Just take the lid off and sit upwind from it. Oddly it seemed at times coyotes were curious or interested in it and it did cover my scent to perfection. Anyone else use cover scents?

Nope. After I watched a drug-sniffing dog identify cocaine dissolved in gasoline, I realized the futility of trying to fool a coyote's nose.

everybody gets this wrong when they say it......the scents dont cover or truly fool anything they make they coyote stand there a few seconds longer wondering if its real regardless of the scent being used u know the extra few seconds u may need to shoot at times....and just cause a dog can sniff cocaine inside gasoline doesnt mean hes to smart to stand around smelling stuff and get caught in a trap.........if animals will stand around and place their foot in a 6 spot in the middle of the night they shouldnt over some scents after i stood there and knelt there earlier in the day time and time and time again and u can do more catching with traps and everyone knows it then hunting any day of the week........well then scents may have some use in hunting if u r willing to use them properly

Last edited:
also people that dont believe never seen a coyote through thermal at night keep cutting 90 degree angles in a cut bean field for over 300 yards to stay in the rabbit piss scent coming off the call at a 45 degree angle to which the coyote was walking toward as it approached the call after the call had been played and then shut off......once u have seen it u know it can help...if it was just sound it wound walk straight toward it it didnt....... if scents alone work for trapping and sounds alone work for calling......anyone that thinks a sound with some scent wont work just doesnt know

p.s. and i put coyote piss on my boots as well & my dogs vests..stinks the truck a bit when i crank the heat but we deal with it..hahahahahhahaha.....BET

Last edited:
Understood, but many of our scent experiences are anecdotal. I once had a coyote come in straight downwind of me when blowing a hand call. I'm sure I smelled like human, gasoline, coffee, domestic dog, gun oil, and so on. Nothing natural at all. The coyote still wandered up from the downwind side and got shot at about 25 yards. Does that mean I should always try to smell like those items? No. Each one is an individual and will behave differently. My experience tells me that I'm time, money, and effort ahead to forget about all the scent nonsense and just play the wind. That said, if using a specific tactic like scents increases your confidence in your calling, your setup, or whatever, then it's worthwhile for you. That's the coolest thing about this endeavor - there's no 100% right way to do it. Develop an approach that works for you in your settings and have fun.

No cover scents for me. After having raised a bunch of bird dogs over the decades, I don't believe you can fool 'The Nose'.

Several years ago, I had a coyote approaching from downwind. I got the laser on him at about 800yds. At 491yds, he turned and dove into the brush, not to be seen again. From a 1/4 mile, he could smell me.

With a young-of-the-year coyote, or a coyote without a negative human-coyote interaction, a strong cover scent might, just maybe, make that coyote pause a few seconds.

A coyote that has been called in, shot at and missed? Unlikely, IMHO.

As DesertRam said, if you get extra confidence because of it, go for it!

Originally Posted By: REID2168i hunt straight into the down wind saves mw worrying about the wind nonsense

Interesting approach. I try to set up into or at least across the wind. Whenever possible though, we definitely have someone watching the back door. I just spent the long weekend over in AZ calling and that stuff is so thick you can't even think about watching the downwind. You can only see 20 yards in many places, so you do the best you can.

I will set up down wind if I'm pretty sure that I'll see the coyote before he hits my scent cone. As far as cover scents, deer are stupid, coyotes smart, they can work on deer but. Of in my opinion on coyotes. You will be far ahead using the wind to keep your scent from.the coyotes nose.

That said there are dumb coyotes out there, running right past my truck to get to the call, running down the trail I took to get to the stand, just a number of things that they shouldn't do and get themselves killed.

Originally Posted By: rickt300I used for a time a bottle of skunk essence. Just take the lid off and sit upwind from it. Oddly it seemed at times coyotes were curious or interested in it and it did cover my scent to perfection. Anyone else use cover scents?

way to step outside the box and go for it.......most stay trapped with their wind wisdom.....Good Luck

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.

Several years ago, I had a coyote approaching from downwind. I got the laser on him at about 800yds. At 491yds, he turned and dove into the brush, not to be seen again. From a 1/4 mile, he could smell me.

i have seen and had this happen many, many times.

when i read somebody is using so called "cover scents" and calling for coyotes with the wind at their back, that right there tells me everything i need to know. or how much that person dont know. lol

Originally Posted By: REID2168i hunt straight into the down wind saves mw worrying about the wind nonsense

And that's one of many reasons why you suck as a coyote hunter, how many have you actually called and killed this year!!!??

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

when i read somebody is using so called "cover scents" and calling for coyotes with the wind at their back, that right there tells me everything i need to know. or how much that person dont know. lol

we can all be deragetory so watch this....when i read a guy isnt smart enough to secure his own home properly u know your the know it all coyote hunter that cant properly lock his own house then crys about his own stupidity on the internet in a hunting forum that has nothing to do with that for attention.......u know u so called all about the forum guys that want the forum to succeed BUT spend more time being derogatory to things your to inept to understand ILO just keeping it to the derogatpry BS to yourself and letting people talk....especially about something u never done dont know about dont care about and dont wanna hear about BUT now are the expert about all the sudden..maybe u should right a book about what we all dont know ....thats right u havent ever proven anything other then u can type....this tells me all u need to know

Originally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

we can all be deragetory so watch this....when i read a guy isnt smart enough to secure his own home properly u know your the know it all coyote hunter that cant properly lock his own house then crys about his own stupidity on the internet in a hunting forum that has nothing to do with that for attention.......u know u so called all about the forum guys that want the forum to succeed BUT spend more time being derogatory to things your to inept to understand ILO just keeping it to the derogatpry BS to yourself and letting people talk....especially about something u never done dont know about dont care about and dont wanna hear about BUT now are the expert about all the sudden..maybe u should right a book about what we all dont know ....thats right u havent ever proven anything other then u can type....this tells me all u need to know

yeah, been a pretty bad experience for my wife, the dog and myself. you really are a low life piece of chit.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

yeah, been a pretty bad experience for my wife, the dog and myself. you really are a low life piece of chit.

read this twice so u understand completely....... i dont care about anything u have just as u show to others when u type........your exactly what u say i am a POS for sure.... only u did it first and im much better at this then u will ever be.......so go check your policy for the next issue your gonna need it for.....IDIOT

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: REID2168i hunt straight into the down wind saves mw worrying about the wind nonsense

And that's one of many reasons why you suck as a coyote hunter, how many have you actually called and killed this year!!!??

Queeno u suck at life so im still ahead of u by a LONG SHOT and you demonstrate that your just STUPID in general and theres no overcoming that for u.......your a extremely sad individual and really just a real ignorant person overall to be honest....u run your mouth to me over nothing more then jealousy and the fact i already destroyed u personally about how u talk to other members on this forum cause u think u can.....u didnt come at me there u CRY BABY LITTLE WEASEL

the ONLY things u can say to me Queeno are trying to take me down with your ignorant jealous rant BS u keep displaying....everyone knows i dont kill a lot cause i dont have land access but i dont have to cry about........but u think u can demean me over it because u think u look like some super hero that we all know u arent as a person by the way u have treated others but now try to compliment everyone so they will to u.....your a JOKE as a person at best...... i dont care if u saved babies in Iraq and the president here in America too........ your a worthless human being thats so jealous inside u cant stand it and the ONLY reason u attack me....... as have no other justification other then i dont kill a lot of coyotes and i talk to myself and blah blah blah......your a WEAK LIL CRY BABY too but i dont bring it up every other post or how STUPID u r either

all this does is show your true weakness and my true strength over a WEAK at best individual such as yourself.......read it twice QUEENO cause u cant harm me in any way with typing but all i have to do is keep typing about u and how u display yourself.......FACTS

u r never gonna be anything in this world so face up to it quick people dont give two cents.....so stop trying for even more fame off demeaning me casue all u do is make me look better and better and better and better every time u do it......U WEAK LIL CRY BABY WEASEL

Originally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

He wasn't being derogatory at all, he's simply saying that your beliefs of not paying attention to the wind and cover scents are wrong and your lack of results prove him correct.

Someone like you that kills less than 10 coyotes a year and educates many many times more with your terrible shooting and horrible tactics shouldn't be giving anyone advice on anything! Someone that actually puts up numbers that disagrees with you, then you start with the butthurt and running your tough guy mouth on the internet, I'm sick of it. You fly off the handle at every little thing and its ridiculous.

Sorry to the OP that this thread has been derailed, I stand by my comments that cover scents are a joke, learn to hunt the wind and save your money.
I've personally killed 162 coyotes this season so far in 31 nights of hunting so my results speak for themselves along with my videos calling and killing coyotes with ZERO cover scent.....

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

He wasn't being derogatory at all, he's simply saying that your beliefs of not paying attention to the wind and cover scents are wrong and your lack of results prove him correct.

Someone like you that kills less than 10 coyotes a year and educates many many times more with your terrible shooting and horrible tactics shouldn't be giving anyone advice on anything! Someone that actually puts up numbers that disagrees with you, then you start with the butthurt and running your tough guy mouth on the internet, I'm sick of it. You fly off the handle at every little thing and its ridiculous.

Sorry to the OP that this thread has been derailed, I stand by my comments that cover scents are a joke, learn to hunt the wind and save your money.
I've personally killed 162 coyotes this season so far in 31 nights of hunting so my results speak for themselves along with my videos calling and killing coyotes with ZERO cover scent.....

NO QUEENO.. u ran your mouth on the internet just like the rest then u got RUN OVER....also i never gave advice i said what i did then people tried to tell me they know more that have never done it just like u so save it......or get ready

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REID2168Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: REID2168i hunt straight into the down wind saves mw worrying about the wind nonsense

Queeno u suck at life so im still ahead of u by a LONG SHOT and you demonstrate that your just STUPID in general and theres no overcoming that for u.......your a extremely sad individual and really just a real ignorant person overall to be honest....u run your mouth to me over nothing more then jealousy and the fact i already destroyed u personally about how u talk to other members on this forum cause u think u can.....u didnt come at me there u CRY BABY LITTLE WEASEL

the ONLY things u can say to me Queeno are trying to take me down with your ignorant jealous rant BS u keep displaying....everyone knows i dont kill a lot cause i dont have land access but i dont have to cry about........but u think u can demean me over it because u think u look like some super hero that we all know u arent as a person by the way u have treated others but now try to compliment everyone so they will to u.....your a JOKE as a person at best...... i dont care if u saved babies in Iraq and the president here in America too........ your a worthless human being thats so jealous inside u cant stand it and the ONLY reason u attack me....... as have no other justification other then i dont kill a lot of coyotes and i talk to myself and blah blah blah......your a WEAK LIL CRY BABY too but i dont bring it up every other post or how STUPID u r either

all this does is show your true weakness and my true strength over a WEAK at best individual such as yourself.......read it twice QUEENO cause u cant harm me in any way with typing but all i have to do is keep typing about u and how u display yourself.......FACTS

u r never gonna be anything in this world so face up to it quick people dont give two cents.....so stop trying for even more fame off demeaning me casue all u do is make me look better and better and better and better every time u do it......U WEAK LIL CRY BABY WEASEL

You left out that you hoped I walked with a limp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back