How long before it settles down?

pyscodog

A friend of mine has permission to hunt two different ranchs with a total of about 7000 acres. We went hunting Sunday morning, calling coyotes and looking for hogs. Struck out on both with not seeing anything but cows, lots of cows. But that's what the land owner does, raises cattle. Today, I get a call from my buddy and he has spoke to the rancher. Seems two guys on side by sides were running dogs, hunting coyotes and hogs, about the same time we were calling. Now I'm wondering how long it will take or if it will settle down enough to hunt again.

I'd go right back in if the other guys aren't hitting it hard. You and your buddy didn't see the other guys so they really didn't disturb your area. 7000 acres gives quite a bit of room to slip in and call using different sounds. On that much ground, I wouldn't worry too much about the other guys until they drive into or their dogs run through your stands. Then go to the other side and work that area

Last edited:
It will settle down. Remember deer season has been going on and that will displace critters. I have not had any success until this past Wednesday and then scored on two successive days, 1 male, 1 female. Keifus said your area wasn't disturbed because you didn't see the other guys. I disagree as smell and hearing and especially with dogs will move the animals out of an area also. They will return, probably 4 to 6 weeks.

It's going to be tough if they've been out there harassing coyotes. The ones they got obviously aren't coming to a call. And the ones that got away ain't either if they hear a vehicle. I'd walk in and start calling.

Can't really say on the hogs but they ain't dumb either. If I learn that land I have permission to call on has been trapped on or had people chasing coyotes on it, I pass and let those people have at it. But here the landscape is different too so if you know of places where they wouldn't or couldn't get to that's where I'd go. Might be a longer and more treacherous hike to call but there's no sense in calling where you know the coyotes aren't at for sure.

The 7000 acres is two different areas. We did see the side by sides on one of the areas where we were told the others were hunting and running dogs. I didn't hear if it was their first time there or if they've been there several times. We plan on going to the land that didn't have the other hunters on it first next time.

Back