360 Buckhammer

pyscodog

Its a new straight wall case from Remington. Seems its made for lever guns. I got an email about it and if straight wall cases and lever guns are your thing, you might check it out.

A guy on youtube did a video shooting it and a 45-70 into a clay block. Kinda apples and oranges but the 360 did a pretty good number on the clay. WhoTeeWho is the guy doing the video. He was shooting a 200 grain bullet in the 360 and a 405 grain bullet in the 45-70. Actually pretty impressive the damage it caused.

From what I saw it is a higher pressure cartridge than something like a .35 Remington so for the guys or gals in straightwall only states, it will be better than a .350 Legend and work well in a lever gun.
I was skeptical at first but it makes sense when you really break it down. The .350 Legend is admittedly pretty weak comparatively speaking.

My thoughts, sounds like a 375 Win. Wannabe. I have a Savage 99 in 375W, it works well and and puts dear down from any direction. I do miss the 250gr factory load.

I watched another video on the Rem 700 Alpha 1. The CEO said the old Remington Company was in need of improvements so they have come up with the Alpha 1 and maybe the 360 Buckhammer was in the mix as well. Engineers got to eat and draw that paycheck. LOL

Straight wall cases are a big thing in some states for deer. In MI, the shotgun zone is now the limited firearms zone, where we can use a straight walled cartridge with a case up to 1.8". Hence the overwhelming popularity of the 450 Bushmaster. Then came the 350 legend, but it is not getting the results many had hoped for. I'm assuming this was a major push for the 360. I personally don't know why anyone in a limited firearm zone would opt for anything other than the 450, but to each his own.

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinReinventing the wheel.. or they’re trying too.. lol

That's what engineers do. If they didn't we'd still be shooting flintlocks and riding in horse and buggies. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think they are playing to a small crowd of people and a few that just like trying something new. I played with the 350 Legend for a while until the new wore off then sent it down the road. It was fun....for a short while.

Might appeal to some of those with cartridge style restrictions on firearms for deer hunting. Doesn’t interest me though. Just not my thing.

I didn’t say anything was “wrong with it” like it was terrible Lol

There’s not much left to develop caliber wise, that doesn’t already have a ballistically identical twin, and/or hasn’t already been tried/made in a different form. I’m not saying some forms aren’t superior to others in cases, but still.

Again..

Trying to reinvent the wheel lol

Should be pretty similar to the 375 Win, but maybe the case on the 375 is too long to be legal?

At any rate, Rem will get a small following for it, then abandon it like they have all the rest.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARShould be pretty similar to the 375 Win, but maybe the case on the 375 is too long to be legal?

At any rate, Rem will get a small following for it, then abandon it like they have all the rest.

I agree. I don't know about the 375, but have heard it opens up a lot better/more bullet options for reloaders than there is for the 350 Legend. It also appeals to the lever action guys. Being in a state that has the straight wall 1.8" limits for deer, I don't see this making much of an impact considering the 450BM. Just something new that some will just have to have.

Seems there is always an older cartridge that is similar to a "new" cartridge and will basically be the same only with a new catchy name. It falls back again on the engineers who are paid big money to find that "new" something that will make money. Nothing new and there will be no need for the design engineers. How many times have we heard "What will the 6.5 Creedmoor do that a 6.5x55 or a 260 won't do? Both use a medium bolt face in a short action and even the same bullet. But no catchy name. They change the case a little, put a little different twist in the barrel and design a little different/heavier bullet and bingo, a new hot item that everyone has to have.

I think, IMO, its not a matter of what's the difference in one or the other, its something new. Everyone likes something new once in a while and it sells and makes money. Lots of money. I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Originally Posted By: ToroCan’t beat the 444 marlin. Love that round.

I'll see your bet and raise you one .45-70...

Originally Posted By: wolverinesOriginally Posted By: 204 ARShould be pretty similar to the 375 Win, but maybe the case on the 375 is too long to be legal?

I agree. I don't know about the 375, but have heard it opens up a lot better/more bullet options for reloaders than there is for the 350 Legend. It also appeals to the lever action guys. Being in a state that has the straight wall 1.8" limits for deer, I don't see this making much of an impact considering the 450BM. Just something new that some will just have to have.

the big thing that the legend and the buckhammer offer that the bushmaster doesnt is low recoil.

which will make it attractive to a LOT of shooters, especially those with less experience, relatively small frames (like many female hunters have) or children.

not everyone knows how to handle a heavier recoiling cartridge - or enjoys it.

its the very reason that for example here in michigan the 30-30 is still the all time king of deer killing over its more powerful brothers like the 308, 30-06, 270, etc. Lots of folks dont like shooting heavy recoiling cartridges. and the 350 legend with its standard 150-170 gr hunting load all but mimics the 30-30 in ballistics and energy. its SUPER capable of making deer room temperature. the buckhammer falls into the same realm from what i can read so far.

and within its wheelhouse - the 350 legend makes deer just as room temp as the 450 bushmaster does, without the huge muzzle blast from a brake or the significantly heavier recoil that comes in the lightweight bolt guns in the caliber without one.

the only - and i do mean only - thing they 450 does that the legend and buckhammer doesnt at similar distances is deliver Ft/Lbs on target due to bullet weight. i suspect the buckhammer will fall into the same realm as the legend for its target market -however its big fatal flaw will be its platform limited availbility due to the design.

i still think that long term the buckhammer will lose to the legend. but thats just me talking.

the other thing thats gonna limit the buckmaster is cost of entry to new folks

you can pickup a basic bolt platform legend, with basic optic, out the door for $400 ish at your local cabelas. you can pop an upper on your ar for $350 + optic.

i cant imagine you're gonna be able to get anywhere close to that in the near future with a buckmaster rifle from henry. even a basic h9 3030 is $600 ish real world retail. sans any optic.

Back