Do you paint your rifle for coyote hunting?

BJJ223

I use an AR15 for my coyote hunting. It has a tan stock and black everything else. I am trying to work up the courage to rattlecan paint it with camo paint. But, I am not sure if I will like the result and regret it.

Do you think a camo gun is necessary for calling coyotes?

I paint mine so they are less evil…

The evil black rifle has built quite a reputation.

To be honest. Prolly not necessary.
Have seen lots of guys use camo vet wrap. On and off very easy.

I paint my rifles just because black stands out in the wild. When doing aerial duck counts they say it is easier to see black colored ducks than any others even white. A black rifle barrel sticking out of the brush is easier to see than a brushed SS.

My AR with the 223 upper I painted, the original 20P is camoed like the lower.
wZlF4l.jpg

Camo vet wrap works well, I painted the stock and wraped the barrel.
GLT1Cm.jpg

Dark guns just stand out.
C3gith.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_4308 by [/url], on Flickr
Just paint your rifle or shotgun one color and then spray sopme stripes on that one color with two different colors. I don't use stencils.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/kjPQc17o3J t=_blank]2017-01-14 15.04.43-1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
I even paint over my shothuns that have the factory camo coating on them. After a while the factory camo coating can get very shiney.

Once I get masking tape on the places I don't want to paint on it only takes me about 10 minutes to apply the 3 different colors of camo paint.

If you choose to wrap with a cloth material on a barrel and/or stock, make sure you check the POI on the rifle afterwards. This is especially important on bolt action rifles,with flimsy stocks. Barrel pressure and harmonics can change and not in a good way.

They look cool but I haven't. All black or wood stocks. I've called coyotes in wearing blaze orange before and an all black coat a bunch of times. If you don't move they don't seem to notice.

Breaking up the outline can't hurt a thing.

I just snuggle back into the brush, in a deep shadow w/sun to my back behind a set of "ghillie" covered shooting sticks and not much black shows in front of sticks.

35703381665_18328148c3_w.jpg
47979257848_ddc03b30bb_o.jpg

50328258401_47afc3d38f_c.jpg

37914311466_29411cccef_c.jpg

35677806585_d43891e50f_o.jpg

But black don't hurt much either.
grin.gif

35315565690_b2d4f513b7_z.jpg

Sitting still is much more important than the color of your rifle.

Regards,
hm

I paint most of my black stocks mainly because I just don't care for black plastic stocks. And its fun to do as well. Do I think its necessary? No, not really. I always thought if they are close enough to see a black or shiny barrel then they are probably close enough to shoot.

The camo one is a Dtech w/commercial finish, not rattle can, but have not noticed any shying from the black one. The others are rattle can.

Regards,
hm

MOriginally Posted By: crapshootI did once but won't again.
Same here. I don’t think it would matter all that much to paint it. I regret doing it.

My son has a 30-06 Tikka with a wood stock on it and both the blueing and the shiney stock shine really bad. It is his deer hunting rifle and I can spot him a mile away when he is waliking on a ridge or hill side while hunting deer.

Having good cammo and a dull gun with no shine to it, is probable more important for walking to your calling location than it is when you are set up to call.

I sit in the sun to get the wind direction in my favor so I like to be completely camo'ed out with a dull gun that does not shine.

Originally Posted By: moonshine44I paint mine not because I think it makes a difference but because I can and because I think it looks cool...

That’s a good reason.

Back