788 Rem

pyscodog

Are they going up in value? A local store had a 243 in decent shape and was asking $600 for it and yesterday I saw another 243 and it had the stock refinished and they were asking $700 for it. The 243 isn't exactly one of the most sought after 788's as I see more of them for sale than any other.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAre they going up in value? A local store had a 243 in decent shape and was asking $600 for it and yesterday I saw another 243 and it had the stock refinished and they were asking $700 for it. The 243 isn't exactly one of the most sought after 788's as I see more of them for sale than any other.

Like anything that's not made from the original manufacturer price goes up .

I've never had a want for one at any price.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI've never had a want for one at any price.

Nothing against them and I worked with a guy that had one in 22-250 that he said shot really well but they've just never appealed to me in any way and I always thought they were a lower budget kind of fugly rifle. Not Savage fugly but close.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI've never had a want for one at any price.

Nothing against them and I worked with a guy that had one in 22-250 that he said shot really well but they've just never appealed to me in any way and I always thought they were a lower budget kind of fugly rifle. Not Savage fugly but close.
smile.gif

Mind reader....
grin.gif

I bought a 223 and tried it on hogs and coyotes, they are heavy but make up for that in accuracy. I liked it well enough that I refinished the stock. Couple months later I came across a 243 in like new condition and bought it based on experience with the 223. It did not disappoint. Paid $516.00 for 223 and $505.00 for 243. I consider them both a bargain.

I believe nostalgia adds $200-$250 to the price. Inherited one in 22-250
but would never buy one. It has extremely hard and rough bolt lift
because the inside of the bolt is galled in the cocking mechanism and
would take some very fancy welding and grinding to repair. But it's just
as accurate as a 700 I once had.

I have one in 222 that I paid right around $500 for. It was in the original stock. I refinished the stock and didn't like its look so I bought a Boyd's. I didn't want laminate so I went with maple, then I said WTH and splurged for checkering. A little later I'm at $350 for a stock. Then I bed the action and had a trigger job done. Added a nice Nikon scope so now I'm in it pretty deep for a 788.....but it is nice. And it shoots good as well. A fool and his money!!!!!

In calibers that just aren't available any longer, 44 Mag, 30-30, 222 Rem they are decent rifles there are lots of better rifles in 22-250, 243, 308 that you can buy new for that kind of money.

About the only 788 I haven't had is the 44 mag and 7-08. Had a 30-30, 223 and 22-250, and a couple 243's. All shot pretty good for what they are. The 22-250 hated hot loads so I had to keep them on the mild side. The 222 I have now shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100yds with about everything I have tried. It really shines with 40 grain pills. Fun little rifle and gets lots of looks. I get lots of looks when I tell them how much money I have in it. LOL

Here in SW PA they were bringing that kinda money Pre-COVID. I think its mainly hype but some guys seem to really like them.

I dont see many for sale at gun shows any more either which tells me they are likely being collected or sold off to collectors online.

Like everything else, I would bet they are going up in value. 700 BDLs that I used to pass up at $600 are now $900.

In 1978 I paid $93.00 for mine, caliber 243, carbine model, and bought a
an extra magazine. The rifle shoots very nice, shoot 100 grains and drops whitetail, and a few other targets of opportunity.
I did change out my trigger, I believe it is a Timney. Just keeps on ticking....
Charlie

The longest shot I have ever made on a whitetail deer was with a 788 in 243 and the carbine version. It was 378 steps (not yards). I admit, it was a Hail Mary shot but I'll take it. I was much much younger then and my eyes were lots better.

They were Remington's budget rifle. The problem was the 788's shot just as good if not better than the model 700 & a higher price. People still want these rear lockers. Mine in 308 shoots in an inch easy. Don't hot load em though or their bolt will stick & lots of times will pop off the handle.
Bolts are hard to come by & handles can be silver soldered back on if everything still fits good.
These old birch stocked plain rifles are worth about 600-700$ depending.

I had a 22-250 that shot tiny groups but no hot loads. Like you said it would really get a stiff bolt lift. A really clean 788 used be around $500, now they are higher priced. Unless your trying to sell one at a gunshow. They want to buy at bottom dollar so they can sell at top end. Imagine that. LOL

can you get still get replacment barrels for them the one i got not shooting to good anymore has a lot of bullets through it

Originally Posted By: duckcan you get still get replacement barrels for them the one i got not shooting to good anymore has a lot of bullets through it

Gun Parts Corporation might have a factory barrel. They carry a lot of parts. You'll probably still need to head space it. Or send it to Douglas and let them do it for around $500.

I have a 22-250 and a 222. Both bought in the last 2 years. The 22-250 was bought off of a member here or on the campfire (i can’t recall which one) for $525 in excellent condition. The 222 was found at a local hardware store also in excellent condition for $600. Both shoot extremely well. The 222 has shot all loads very well and I can’t recall it shooting over an inch through the load charges. If it did it wasn’t by much. It is still in load development stages with IMR 4198 and 40 gr vmax and that combo seems to be where it shines. Like others mentioned, the 22-250 doesn’t like hot loads. I run H4895 and 52 gr Berger targets in it. It shot best at 33 and 35 gr powder charges, but at 35 the bolt sticks really bad so I settled on the lower charge of 33 gr. When testing the H4895/52 gr and Varget/50 gr NBT, the largest group out of all of them was .71”. Very pleased with with rifle.

A lot of people think they are ugly, but my uncle got me started buying them and we both enjoy them quite a bit. To each their own and they are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for em!

Back