22-250

Originally Posted By: seasleyIf you were in the market to buy a 22-250, what brand would you buy?
Imma 700 slut, so I'd put out the feelers for one in the classifieds.

I bought a Ruger American Predator 22-250 2-3yrs ago. I put it in an Oryx chassis. My uncle bought the same thing and put his in a Magpul stock. We both run the AICS mags now so we can load bullets further out. The RAP is very conducive to heavier projectiles if you can run the AICS mags because of the twist. The thing is an absolute banger.

If I could have any I think the Remington LVSF came in 22-250. I'd like to have one of those because they were a short run.

Who ever makes the lightest offering would get my money if I was in the market for one. I have over a dozen heavy varmint rifles. It's time for a sub moa featherweight calling rifle.

Originally Posted By: tractormanMy TC venture is a lightweight. Mine is 204 but they had 22-250.

It will have to be a used one or a left over because T/C is no longer or at least right now.

I did not think they were in business. But it is an option if one could find one. I bought the 204 because it has a 10 twist and stabilized the 40gr hornadys better. Most 204s are a 12 twist unless custom.

Originally Posted By: tractormanMy TC venture is a lightweight. Mine is 204 but they had 22-250.

Hands down the best option in that price range! I wish they still made them. I have one in 22-250 and one in 270 win. Both are more accurate then you would believe. Lol

If I would go with a T/C, I'd try to find an Icon. They were the top tier T/C and were really nice rifles. I use to have a 204 and a 243 and both shot really well. T/C's major down fall (to me) was no after market support. Trigger springs was about the size of it for their bolt action rifles aside from maybe a Boyd's stock. The Icon came in a nice stock so that was not needed. I sold both of mine to people that seem to want them more than me. Everything has a price. LOL!!

Today, a Tikka would be high on the list, but they are hard to find and the prices are way up. Next would probably be a Savage or Howa. Both of these have a pretty good reputation as good shooters and have lots of aftermarket accessories available. Maybe wait until Remington starts shipping their new Alpha 1's and try one of them. Seems they have some nice improvements. Basically its all depends on how much you want to spend.

I have a first year T/C Icon (2007) in 243. Beautiful wood and metal finish and very accurate with the 5R rifling that no one ever talks about. Very good trigger for varmints!

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: seasleyIf you were in the market to buy a 22-250, what brand would you buy?
Imma 700 slut, so I'd put out the feelers for one in the classifieds.

I'm not necessarily a 700 guru, BUT facts are most all custom actions are blueprinted after a 700.

I would also go this route especially in this day in age where you can mod your rifle very easily. There's easy access to stocks, DBM, prefit barrels etc. etc. all that you can DIY and have a one of a kind custom.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Hunt8 twist Tikka T3x.

That would be first option....if you could find one.

ditto

My list would be bergara, tikka, Remington. Bergara uses Remington style triggers, so if you want to up grade just order like a Remington 700 trigger tech trigger, and scope mounts, I think there screw actions will bolt into a Remington inletted stock don’t know if they line up perfect. Tikka is starting to get more and more after market support.

Last edited:
Anyone with experience with that gun? Thinking about picking one up, but how do they shoot with 50-52-55's?
Yeah I have the 8 twist tikka. I sanded out the barrel channel for a full free float, changed the trigger spring out, installed the vertical grip, changed the bolt handle out, and rattle canned it. (All of that wasn’t needed but it was just my preference)

It’s been awesome so far. It’s shot factory 50gr vmax exceptionally well. I also loaded for 53gr vmax for it when I first got it and it shot those well too. I decided to shoot up my factory stuff first before I committed to only shooting hand loads.

I did notice that I ran into pressure a little earlier than I would have expected with Varget. However, it still shot great when backed off a little bit.

I also shot some nosler factory ammo with it too. It shot pretty well but I was getting around 150fps in extreme spread. Didn’t mess with it after that.

Just my opinion here, but I think the barrel is a tad bit slower than other factory barrels but I wouldn’t let that stop you from buying it.

Back