Nice Bobcat tonight

1trkyhntr

We killed this nice male tonight before the moon came up. I started with Eastern Cottontail and he came out of the cutover at about 3 minutes. From his angle we were sky lined so as soon as he stepped out we double tapped him at about 90 yds. DRT. 26lb male. A pretty big cat for here.
taiH7ME.jpg

Nice going 1t. I called in two bobcats as well tonight before the moon came up, but no coyotes. We can't shoot bobcats at night here in NC.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpNice going 1t. I called in two bobcats as well tonight before the moon came up, but no coyotes. We can't shoot bobcats at night here in NC.

I have heard that there are some areas where you can't shoot coyotes either, something about red Wolves. Is that true?

Yes, that is correct, 5 counties in the Northeast part of the state are closed to night hunting due to the "fake red wolf" they keep trying to introduce. Thankfully that's not where I hunt. We can't shoot foxes at night either, plus no electronic calls for foxes or bobcats during the day.

We have a fair population this year. This is the 9th cat we've called in this season if I remember right. 2 we could not shoot/out of season, 2 that never came close enough, 1 hit but not recovered, and 4 on the rack. I'm seeing more foxes and bobcats than I have in the past few years for whatever reason.
But the coyote hunting has been the slowest that I have experienced in years, I think it is because of all the new predator hunters and it's getting worse every year. Almost all of my old spots are getting hunted by other guys now. What they don't kill they educate.

Back