6 hagar powders

varminter .223

Seems to be a few people shooting the 6 Hagar now since the brass became available or atleast was available. I have been concentrating on shooting 60 to 87 grain bullets mainly with 8208. I have shot 70 ballistic tips with AR Comp with some success as well.
Our barrel are 24" 10 twist with a rifle plus 2 gas systems and .093" gas ports and I'm having some intermittent under gas issues. I've been through everything trying to figure it out.
Im going to try some other powders before I consider opening up the gas port. I'm curious what powders others are using with success while shooting this cartridge with these weight bullets.

Last edited:

I tried CFE-223, AA-2230, H-322, VV-133, Leverevolution, and some old pulled down powder AA-2230-C, which is the equivalent of the current AA-2460.

Bullets tried were Nosler 55 BT's, Sierra 70 BK's, Nosler 70 BT's, and Berger 65 BT Match.

Finally settled on Lever with the Bergers at 3330. No blood yet....

I plan to try cfe223 with 87s.
Currently I have a load for 60 sierras, 87 vmax, and 80 sierra blitz with 8208. Also 70 bts shoot well with ARComp. However for reasons I don't yet understand the 87s and 70 will nolonger cycle.

I should have a 28" 8 twist barrel in my hands tomorrow. I believe it is rifle gas. It will be interesting to see what the chronograph says with my current loads vs. the 24" 10 twist.

Last edited:

My barrel is a 20" Shilen 12" twist.

I got the 55's up to 3650 with regular 2230 with great accuracy, but sticking to the Bergers for now.

I'm tempted to order a zero freebore reamer......not from Kiff.......

I was going to build a Hagar but decided on a 6DTI with brass available. Glad to see some ideas. I was planning on CFE 223 and TAC for starters.

60 Sierra part #1500 hits the lands at 2.260 in our chambers done with our reamer which I believe to be the .117" freebore. They are very accurate with 31.8 8208 which is awful slow but 32.5 is another node which is right there as far as accuracy goes and 200ish fps faster at 3523 5 shot average if I recall. I am loading them a 2.240 oal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223

I should have a 28" 8 twist barrel in my hands tomorrow. I believe it is rifle gas. It will be interesting to see what the chronograph says with my current loads vs. the 24" 10 twist. That would be interesting. I'm going with a 26" with the 6DTI.

This new barrel I've acquired seems to have somewhere around .100" more bullet jump that the ones chamber with our reamer so I'm a bit confused about what .117" freebore yields as far as bullet jump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223This new barrel I've acquired seems to have somewhere around .100" more bullet jump that the ones chamber with our reamer so I'm a bit confused about what .117" freebore yields as far as bullet jump.
It's been several months since I put mine together, but I believe I'm around that same .100" mark for bullet jump.

I never could get a satisfactory load with Nosler or Sierra 70's, but pretty happy with the Bergers I'm loading.

Back