RS75 HD Thermal Thread

skinney

Director
Fellas, and possible Ladies. I said I would post here first regarding my first hand experience with the new RS75.

What is the RS75? Well it's the first of its kind 1280X1024 weapon sight. 1,310,720 pixels, compared to the 640s which have 327,680 pixels. It is going to be tough for me to explain to you, the video's and photos I will be posting in this thread are not nearly as good as what I'm seeing through the the display.

Another very important aspect I would like to tell you, because I'm an honest man, anyone who knows and has personally dealt with me knows this. I am not sponsored by any one optic manufacturer, No NDA's, no payments to run "certain gear"...

HOWEVER, I am very fortunate to work with people who have given me an opportunity most will never have, and that's the ability to run and use, whatever I want, so that I can get real time credentials based on experience with not just one product but numerous products.

Personally using, ATN, Armasight (AGM), EoTech, FLIR, Iray, Pulsar, Trijicon (OASYS), and more.

I should correct myself and say I did have an NDA a few years ago limiting my ability to expose information I documented and collected for FLIR's engineers and their AI program, but that's another story, and not relevant to what this post is about.

I'm going to be honest throughout the year while using these optics, so if any of you have questions or critiques etc. etc. you can do it here, or PM me for personal questions or concerns.

I hope you guys will enjoy some of the video's and still shot's I'll be presenting with the RS75.

Coyote Pup at 15yds
ATMOS: 80% hum, DP 32F, Temp 55F, CC 72%, 20mph NW.

52426978942_7222ac33b0_b.jpg

In this video the Coyote is roughly 25 yards, if you look at two different points, you can see one coyote in the BG at over 200, and the final coyote in the BG over 400 yds.

ATMOS: 87% hum, DP 34F, Temp 57F, CC 77%, 15mph NW.

Thank you kind Sir for posting this awesome information. It is most appreciated and am looking forward to future videos of this awesome jump in technology

Looks good. I was amazed at the image in some of your old Trijicon videos. Is this scope in a whole new league of it's own compared to those videos?

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63 Looks good. I was amazed at the image in some of your old Trijicon videos. Is this scope in a whole new league of it's own compared to those videos?

IMHO, yes. I was asked what my initial thoughts were, when looking though the unit and it was Holy (beep)... Crazy.

If most knew the extent we went to, in order to capture the Trijicon vids we pulled, they'd say screw that.

Yesterday a hunter friend (who participated in the development of the new Infiray Mate MAH50 clip-on ...) received the first Infiray Rico RS75 on trial. These are his very first impressions: "Apart from the fact that I don't find a single motivation to buy it?
To be immensely rich I would take one. I looked at some pigeons (which as you know are a very difficult target, all well covered by a dense insulating plumage that leaves a little heat on the head and legs) at an insane distance and it was seen when one moved the wings. Of the structure of the house opposite it was seen where, in making the infill, they put under the beam a piece of brick pierced sideways and then masked with a little cement under the plaster ...... a crazy stuff! ..Fortunately, no young lady dressed a little tight or I would have been forced to take a look ... !!!
Seriously ...... waiting for the 8 microns I thought it was "less". Instead it brings out a lot of stuff you don't expect ... but nothing you can't give up given the price ...
Then it is bulky. Beyond the 75 lens there is the whole protective structure which further affects the overall dimensions !!
The strange thing is that it surprised me a lot. I expected to see "better" and with a lot of field of view. Instead you see above all "things more".....

(.... dear American guys ... you celebrate Halloween tonight ... but I celebrate my birthday. Here in Italy, November 1st is the feast of all Saints ...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49Hi Skinney! When will you show us some hunting videos with the Rico RS75?

Absolutely G-Unit! I've been super busy with Elk and Deer Season, but it'll slow down here in a week, and I will be posting some videos of the hunts with the RS-75 right here!

Theoretically speaking... with the Rico RS75 would it be possible to hunt Elk and Deer during the day? In particular, is it possible to distinguish a male from a female?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Dark moon 63 Looks good. I was amazed at the image in some of your old Trijicon videos. Is this scope in a whole new league of it's own compared to those videos?

IMHO, yes. I was asked what my initial thoughts were, when looking though the unit and it was Holy (beep)... Crazy.

If most knew the extent we went to, in order to capture the Trijicon vids we pulled, they'd say screw that.

Skinney......As most other guys here I appreciate the time and energy it takes you to produce your videos and I always enjoy watching them. They are usually high quality, edited well and your efforts speak for themselves when viewed.

That being said, I think your comment about Trijicon video production difficulties is somewhat revealing as to your disposition when it comes to priorities for thermal units. I have owned 5 Trijicon units and IMHO the reticle choices and image clarity is about as good as anyone could ask for as a tool to use to go out and kill critters in the dark. Trijicon (IRD) designed a very stout, durable hunting scope with no POI issues and it's a solid unit.

The one area Trijicon did not focus on was the video output quality. Anyone who has owned a Trijicon scope can attest to the fact that the image you see in the unit and the image you see in the video out feed are not even close. When someone such as yourself is focused on video production as well as hunting functionality then that becomes a consideration for your personal application.

That being said, I think you need to understand that a large portion of thermal users like making videos but it's not such a high priority that the average hunter is going to feel the need to drop $18K so that they will look better. The basic premise of thermal technology in and of itself was a huge game changer for the civilian hunting community and even the lower priced units are good enough to afford any hunter a useful tool for night hunting. Most accomplished night hunters would have no problem getting a reticle on target with a 384 core 12 micron scope.

There is no doubt that the image in the RS75 is over the top but so is the price. I have been using thermal ever since the first units hit the market and I paid $13,500 for my first 640 core unit back in the day when ANY 640 core unit would cost somewhere north of $10K. If it matters I can afford the RS75 also so there is no personal "envy" motivating my comments but more along the line of common sense.

For a hard core hunter and videographer such as yourself it's probably a worthwhile investment even though it sounds as though the units you are using are provided as a marketing tool for the manufacturers, you get the point. Your enthusiasm and devotion to predator hunting and the video productions are a great motivator for the predator hunting community and we need to keep the interest and participation levels growing so we become a factor of consideration in the current political climate.

I look forward to the RS75 videos coming our way and appreciate the effort. Just keep in mind that you are an exception to the rule when it comes to return on investment with regard to spending $18K for a thermal scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49Theoretically speaking... with the Rico RS75 would it be possible to hunt Elk and Deer during the day? In particular, is it possible to distinguish a male from a female?

In Theory I suppose yes, but I would never use it as such, you'll still never get the optimal performance as a high end day optic while hunting during the day... IMHO

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Dark moon 63 Looks good. I was amazed at the image in some of your old Trijicon videos. Is this scope in a whole new league of it's own compared to those videos?

Skinney......As most other guys here I appreciate the time and energy it takes you to produce your videos and I always enjoy watching them. They are usually high quality, edited well and your efforts speak for themselves when viewed.

That being said, I think your comment about Trijicon video production difficulties is somewhat revealing as to your disposition when it comes to priorities for thermal units. I have owned 5 Trijicon units and IMHO the reticle choices and image clarity is about as good as anyone could ask for as a tool to use to go out and kill critters in the dark. Trijicon (IRD) designed a very stout, durable hunting scope with no POI issues and it's a solid unit.

The one area Trijicon did not focus on was the video output quality. Anyone who has owned a Trijicon scope can attest to the fact that the image you see in the unit and the image you see in the video out feed are not even close. When someone such as yourself is focused on video production as well as hunting functionality then that becomes a consideration for your personal application.

That being said, I think you need to understand that a large portion of thermal users like making videos but it's not such a high priority that the average hunter is going to feel the need to drop $18K so that they will look better. The basic premise of thermal technology in and of itself was a huge game changer for the civilian hunting community and even the lower priced units are good enough to afford any hunter a useful tool for night hunting. Most accomplished night hunters would have no problem getting a reticle on target with a 384 core 12 micron scope.

There is no doubt that the image in the RS75 is over the top but so is the price. I have been using thermal ever since the first units hit the market and I paid $13,500 for my first 640 core unit back in the day when ANY 640 core unit would cost somewhere north of $10K. If it matters I can afford the RS75 also so there is no personal "envy" motivating my comments but more along the line of common sense.

For a hard core hunter and videographer such as yourself it's probably a worthwhile investment even though it sounds as though the units you are using are provided as a marketing tool for the manufacturers, you get the point. Your enthusiasm and devotion to predator hunting and the video productions are a great motivator for the predator hunting community and we need to keep the interest and participation levels growing so we become a factor of consideration in the current political climate.

I look forward to the RS75 videos coming our way and appreciate the effort. Just keep in mind that you are an exception to the rule when it comes to return on investment with regard to spending $18K for a thermal scope.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however I believe you are missing a point. I've used every option Trijicon had to offer, M250, M250XR, M300W, Reap 35, Reap 60, MKII, MKIII 35, MKIII 60, SkeetIR, UTX etc. etc. Each and every one of those units is top tier, I'll never dispute that.

So I go do my thing, hunt, kill, record with a "junk" DVR video out, set up, that compresses the image quality of one of the better units to look worse than the old FLIR RS series vids, how does that give a good perspective on what the customer should expect? It doesn't right?

So I finagle a way to record with a separate unit, drawing from a separate power source, filming from behind the ocular, JUST so we can give an "accurate" representation of what people can expect. That video now has over 70 million views, BECAUSE I took the time to give the viewer a perspective that they don't have to assume they will get looking through the optic, but KNOW they will get looking through the optic.

Who, as a hunter, end user, or potential customer wants to see inaccurate "junk" footage with a top tier thermal product? I had to wait out a lot of humid nights, and work through a lot of power cores to get what we did. Not just because it offered us optimal visual quality, but to give people the fact of what they will expect to get with a good unit.

For the guys who disagree, no, it wasn't because Trijicon paid me, I personally have not seen one dime from or talked with one person from that company EVER, which kinda sucks by the way, but it is what it is.

Synced up Triple... It's 100% humidity and blowing flurries here.
Distance is 50 m. Loophole shooting through continuous Panel for those of you seeing the bars.
Lot's more to come under this thread instead of creating a new post every time.

Nice detail! Back here anyone who winters 50-100 head is a big operation and very few die.
How many do you winter and average deaths?

Originally Posted By: jmeddyNice detail! Back here anyone who winters 50-100 head is a big operation and very few die.
How many do you winter and average deaths?

We do pretty well, My Grandpa and Dad did solid work putting in thousands of trees for wind breaks. I've helped put in an additional 5+ thousand, and in the end it's the wind that kills them, so trees are life. This spring I have plans to make a few forests so that my grandkids have even a better set up.

We winter about 600 head, and usually cull the older cows whether they are open or not, this alleviates a lot of problems with older weaker cattle not handling the weather. I work closely with our neighbors who will give me anything they lose, as long as I'm there when they need me to kill during calving. Lot's of extra work, but it's worth it.

Very interesting video, good job.

I have a bait pile of road kill deer and scraps from butchering in my field for the birds of prey to feed on. No traps ever.

In contrast to your video, a couple weeks ago I watched a coyote come out into my field and skirt the bait pile by at least 30 yards. He never took his eyes off the pile as he made a half circle around it and left going to the east, never once considering going in for a snack.

Jim

Back