Primers

pyscodog

I found some primers on the shelves yesterday. Probably paid to much but was getting real low on large rifle. CCI large rifle for $94 per 1000. That's the cheapest I've seen them in a while so I got two bricks. Should hold me over. They told me they got a shipment last week and another this week. Maybe they are going to start showing up again soon.

Unfortunately $95 per k is the new normal price for US made primers. I need to add to my sr inventory and would do so at that price.

Last edited:
I've been watching but am still good for a long while, and finally 200s are showing up at places like Natchez. They want $100 per k also.

If I was in need I would buy at that price, but unless another panic of some sort comes along (and I'm sure they'll come up with one soon enough), I think time is on our side now. When people see supply catching up, they tend to hold off on the hoarding and prices should trend down I'm hoping. I figured that if/when I see $75 ish per k I'm stocking up a forever stash lol. Probably wishful thinking though.

I have bought 20 K CCI primers in the last few weeks at $85.00 per K with no shipping but $30.00 Haz Mat per shipment. I see one of the dealers on ammoseek has had CCI Small pistol at $85.00 per K with no limit for several weeks. Things do seem to be getting better.

I'm also using a lot of primers from the clinton years. I remember buying 5000 for about $80, including shipping & hazmat.

Those days are gone

If I remember right, the small stash of LR primers that I have cost 1c ea., or $10.00 per thousand, and the LRM were 1.2c ea., or $12.00 per thousand, that's probably near what you paid minus the shipping and hazmat fee.
Yea, those days went the way of the 18c hamburger and the 20 some odd cent gas, heck, when I was a kid, you could get a small bottle of coke for 6c!

I started loading when I was still in high school (1952) using my gunsmith friend/mentor's equipment. Primers were $1/box. That price held for many years.

I, too, stocked up on primers @ $80/5000 and still using those primers today, as well as several flavors of $125/8# jugs of powder, thanks to Bill Clinton.

Regards,
hm

BIL called and asked if I wanted to split a 1000 Rem 7.5(new production). With his military discount it was 83.00. Out the door so no hazmat/shipping. Spring of 2020 I bought a bunch for 39/1000 so I didn't need 500. But this spring I will try them up against old stock see if they are the same.

Originally Posted By: GofaaastUnfortunately $95 per k is the new normal price for US made primers. I need to add to my sr inventory and would do so at that price.

The problem is a mindset like this. Simply holding off or only buying a small amount will allow simple economics to do the rest. Will you see $20 per brick again? Maybe not but $40 or $50 is certainly achievable. We are already seeing it with ammo. Routine sales on 9mm as low at $12/box or 5.56 for under 30 cents per round.

People arent buying as much ammo and it has driven the price down severely. I am actually seeing Powder come back down off $50+/lb.

As soon as people stop panic buying the prices will go down. I’ll guarantee they will never go down to $20 a brick again. I bought four bricks of Remington primers at a retailer at $20 ea right before the toilet paper panic. Then I bought 18 bricks at another LGS for $39 each during the panic on following November when everyone was complaining of not finding any. They had cases of everything in federal and CCI. I quit buying after my 18 bricks and left plenty there for the locals. Took them about another 3 months or so to dwindle down what they had left at that price. Their now on the $$$$ wagon like everyone else. I was also told they weren’t paying hardly any more than they did for them pre pandemic and told me to wait to buy any more for a while. They just had to keep up with the “worlds price hike”. I can’t blame them. It’s a gimmick to get consumers into the store …. And when they don’t have primers and powder to look at in the off hunting season then there is hardly any traffic in the store. Clean out their inventory in day or two with less profit or do it slowly at a higher margin and hopefully somebody buys other merchandise when stopping in looking for primers. Just like a gas station with all the candy and soda jacked up. Now the gas is price is jacked up as well. Lol….Glad I did because the prices have not gone down since. I also never stocked up on them because they were always were cheap and plentiful…those were the days. In my opinion the manufacturers are limited production on purpose right now because they know they can make three or more times a profit… it’s the American way. As soon as people stop buying them and primers start to around on the shelves for a year or two I’m sure the price would least drop down to 40 bucks a brick or so. It’s the law of supply and demand. Reminds me of the greedy AR hoarding and pricing jack up when Obama was in office. Then when Trump was elected the prices dropped to give away! Oracles went up to $1500 plus and then back down to $329…remember that one??? Cheap ARs we’re getting sold for 4x what they sold for a half year prior. I can still remember idiots trying to unload their ARs locally and crying on how much they over paid for them and could not even close to old prices for them. Lol. That’s what happens when you panic buy. There’s just no reason to after the manufacturers have tripled their money. Don’t think for a second there’s a shortage anymore. It’s like Harley Davidson used to do with their motorcycles. I worked for the company at the time and they were ALWAYS readily available. But their big sales scam was to make everybody think it took a year and a half to order a bike. We had bikes sitting on the showroom floor brand new always that we’re never bought or spoken for. But it was Harley’s policy to not let anybody know. That way they could drive up the prices and make you think you had to wait so long in pay arm and a leg over suggested retail. Look where it’s gotten them now. Just remember the manufactures in the retailers that are gouging you know in years to come and make sure not to give them your money if you don’t have to. My buddy in AZ has been buying bricks of primers at some of his LGS’s for $50 to $60 for the last year. Been there with him and witnessed it with my own eyes. You gotta get away from the computer and burn up some fuel.

Last edited:
All this will be over soon, you will have to turn in firearms, by hook or crook. WHO, WEF won't allow private ownership. Dems are all in on it.

The price of primers will not go down anytime soon. Ammo/primer manufacturers found a cash cow in the contrived primer shortage. Why would they want to sell primers when they can sell loaded ammo for four times the old pricing.

The sportsman warehouse store near me gets a couple cases of primers a week. They sell them by the carton of 1000 if you are lucky, usually by the box of 100, they come 5000 per case. Their cost is in the 250 to 280 a case depending on the make. So, one could say the hoarders don't have a chance to hoard them.

You pay, what, 80 to 100 a carton, thats twice what they cost the stores. The only way they will come down is if the foreign countries ramp up production and our government will let them be imported.

Remember the beef shortage, the coffee shortage, and on and on.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleMy primer stash all have $25 and $30 stickers on them. One BR2 box has $39.

All mine are marked about the same price.

Back