Coyote hunter, trying to shoot hogs

Buck13

I'm a coyote hunter that has been invited to Georgia for (my first) hog hunt later this winter.

I have a thermal (super yoter) on my 6mm ARC (ar15), will this be enough gun ? or should I move the thermal to a bigger caliber ?

I have 300 WM, 30/30, 308 (ar10 and bolt) 6.5 CM (ar10 and bolt) and a few other 6mm/243 cal

I am a reloader, what cal and what size bullet should I be loading

Hey Buck13, everything you list is plenty ample on hogs, shot placement as always is the most effective means of success. In the ear, between ear and eye or in the neck just behind the ear will do the job. I hunt hogs and coyotes and have had success with any caliber from 22 magnum (hollow point) 17HMR vmax, 223 55gr vmax, 243 80gr softpoint. I personally prefer 223. Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your first hog hunt, you will be wanting more!

I’ve probably killed more with 223 than anything, but I have lost some with it too, especially on big boars.

A good bullet with the ARC should do well as a lot are killed with the Grendel. Creedmoor would certainly be enough.

I have killed hogs with a .308, 6.8mm, and 5.56mm. I killed my biggest boar to date with a 5.56mm. The biggest thing is shot placement. If you are a deer hunter, you would want to learn how to change your methods just a tad. This video really helped me:

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoCongrats...I hope it was a fantastic hunt...

Thanks, had a great time 3 out of 6 guys (in out group) shot a hog

sitting long hours, not seeing alot though

Back