Savage model 24 22wmr 20 gauge

drewgrass

Hey folks im looking for a 22mag and ran into one of these. at the engraved c version i think is what they said really clean. 22mag over 20 gauge.
The guy is at $800.00 which is crazy to me. Ive always wanted one. I love 22 mag. How do these shoot. What ammo do they like. looks like a gun that could feed your family if ya needed it to

As a side note i have close to 500 rounds of 20 guage. My cousin gave me and no gun. So i dont mind paying a little more cause it fills a need but $800.00 seems high. Thanks to all

Yes sir im aware of that. I just always wanted one of these. Kind of as a jack of all trades gun. I didnt realize how inflated stuff had gotten. Went to a gun show today and jeez. These were $500.00 range when i last looked at em in 2014 or so. I just like it. seems like a really good yote calling and prepper gun. If i could find a henry frontier threaded 22mag i would. but i cant find one anywhere. I like wood and traditional hunting rifles. Wouldn't be my main gun by any means.

If you like it that much and want it, just get it. May find another one cheaper, may not find another again.

Prices on Gunbroker range from $400 - $1250, none of them are 22WMR though.

You won’t have to spend any $ on 20 gauge shells for a while.

I have had a couple in the past. They have a disclaimer about using a scope when shooting the shotgun. I used mine for a while then sent it down the road as there is no follow-up shot if you need it.

I thought I wanted one for many years, especially for turkey and predators, but the practical side of me always said no! To me, they’re clunky, both barrels may not shoot to the same point-of-aim, triggers aren’t great (on the ones I’ve shot), and I could probably count on one hand the number of times in 60 years of hunting that I carried a rifle and really needed a shotgun or vice versa. I look at them all the time but it’s not an itch I’m gonna scratch, especially at a price over $600 in today’s market. I think that gun with some average wear should be priced between $450 and $600.

I hear ya lol. I went in did the paperwork, got delayed due to the holiday being backed up. They called me a hour ago and said i been cleared i can pick it up tuesday. So i got a couple of days more to think about it. If i would of cleared today i would have it. I could get a henry and a cheap shotgun. Yeah im over paying a little but i havent seen alot of em. Has the fox engraving and it is a earlier joined barrell version.

My experience with one wasn't positive. The barrels were not remotely close to being regulated. Mounting a scope was a joke, it never stayed sighted in. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for one. But it isn't my money, so there is that.

I'm a combo gun lover but a Savage 24 hater. They just aren't built to work very well. With the hammer and the selector on the nose of the hammer they are slow and scoping them makes them slower.

I have owned a Savage in 223/20ga and while reasonably accurate and regulated I couldn't get rid of it fast enough after the first season with it.

My old 24
jGY58X.jpg

There are plenty of combo guns out there that work much better with the best of them having two triggers and a safety and you can load down to 22 Mag velocities.

BRNO 22 Savage Highpower/12ga, it even has a set of O/U skeet barrels.
xGZlAI.jpg

They can be quite accurate also
ZQlIF8.jpg

Used BRNO, Marrochi(American Arms), Tikka's can be found quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Yeah ive been looking for a brno. To .308 12ga would be nice. Dream gun is a 22-250 12ga blaser lol. A .223 20ga version with less ornate frame is at almost $800.00 on gun broker as we speak, with a week to go. I know that may be more desirable to some. But im fairly sure i could get my money out of it at this point. Crazy what these are bringing. Be fun to play with.

i have owned a couple savage 24 combo guns through the years. i considered none of them a good rifle nor a good shotgun. i scratched the itch and moved on.

Never owned one but seen a few other folks have owned. Accuracy wasn't overly impressive and kind of killed the desire to ever own one.

I had a 24DL as a youth and loved the gun. Back then 22mag was far more expensive to shoot than 22lr so that was a drag. I really think the 22lr is a better choice as I was often very disappointed at the performance 22lr. Much later (2008) I bought a 24 with 222 over a 20 for $190 that was drilled and tapped for a scope. This was a big improvement. I found the trigger to be the biggest drawback to the 24. I had to hone the trigger several times to finally get a decent trigger pull.

I had one growing up was a hand me down that was 22lr over 20ga. I never shot the gun just sat in the gun cabinet for 20 years and would just take it out to wipe down and admire. Then like a fool I took it to a gun show with my ex father in law and had people asking about it in parking lot before even got inside. At the door some one asked me about it and father in law said “idk like $200” next thing I know I had $200 in my hands and my grandfathers gun was gone. Definitely regret it that was 15 years ago I’d love to get my hands on another.

I bought one used ten years ago, took it out once. Guy talked me out of it, I made good money on it. Picked another one up 5 months ago, same model 22rf over 20g as the first one. I shot 22 through it and I'm not disappointed. I need to shoot some 20g through it to see where poi is

I bought her. I know i overpaid. She aint no safe queen. But i don’t have to worry about dinging it up. But im glad i did its a shooter. I bought 6 different kinds of ammo to test. Today with 40gr aguila i was repeatdly dinging a 2 inch steel plate at 100 open sights. Surprised the [beeep] out of me. Gonna try 30gr in multiples brand 40gr cci and i got a box of 50 grain federal. Gonna see what she likes this weekend.

How does it pattern the shotgun barrel? As in point of impact as that relates to the sights?

Originally Posted By: GCHow does it pattern the shotgun barrel? As in point of impact as that relates to the sights?

I just got it only had time to shoot 10 rounds 22mag before it got dark. This is actually my first 20guage i own a few 12’s. What do ya think would be a good shell fioryotes and a good one for turkey. I figure no slugs or steel shot. This is my first vintage shotgun with a fixed full choke. My benelli m2 field and daley over under trap gun all have removable chokes and can run about anything.

About the only factory 20 ga load I know of for coyotes would be number 3 buckshot loads. They only have about 20 pellets per shell. So they msybe good to 30 yards or so for killing coyotes.

What I did many years ago, for a 9 year old boy to shoot coyotes with a 20 ga was buy two boxes of 20 ga 7/8 oz loads and remove the lead #8 shot out of them.

Then I put lead BBB shot that I bought from BPI back into the 20 ga shells and re-crimped them. I made sure I put the same volume back in those shells, not the same weight. The same weight would have taken up to much space when using lead BBB shot.

The same volume of lead BBB shot compared to the same volume of lead #7-1/2 shot, the BBB shot would weigh less and lower the pressure of the load just a little.

Lead BB shot would also work as long as you use the same volume as the factory 20 ga loads loads that you buy. You may want to get 1 oz loads to do this with. I used 7/8 oz loads so they would have less recoil for the 9 year old boy.

Back