Last Jug of H 4895

hm1996

Staff member
Fortunately, had a good supply of H 4895 & H 450 on hand when I had to quit shooting competition in 99. Just opened the last jug of H4895 today. Sure gonna hate to see it go; IIRC we paid about $125/jug by the case in 99. Sure wish my 401k had done as well.
lol.gif
52597381679_6fbe712495_z.jpg

Thanks, guys, but I'd better hang on to it for now.
lol.gif
Also still using primers of that era. IIRC paid around $85/5000 Fed. 210's and Sierra 165 gr, match kings for around $17/c.

Shot a minimum of 100 rds/wk of 30-06 in practice back then and 300 on match weekends; figured my cost about 28 cents/round.

Ya, wasn't all that long ago I was buying 175SMK pulls (from m118) for .10/ea shipped! Have the last handful of the probably 6K I bought. Sure wish had bought more. Shot well enough for local matches, saved good ones for Perry.

I was digging through things the other day and found a coco can with A-3100 on it. I used to go to the gun shop and they had a barrel in the back and would scoop you out a bunch, old coco cans held just over a pound. I used to use the stuff in my 270's and 358 N. Mag, I don't have anything left to load it in. I wonder if it would work in a 22-250?

Last edited:
When I first set up a guy at Dillon suggested Red Dot for use in 9mm. I found that 3.5 grains made a good load for both our Glocks at the time, it later proved to be a good load in our SIG P365's and my son's Canick loves it.

I still have some of that original 8 lb can left

I saw some H4895 a few days ago in the rack at one store. It was $54.95 lb. and I passed on it. Went back thinking I might just pony up the money for a pound but it was all gone.

It’s something else to see the asking prices on components these days. Small shop in town had a single pound of H4350 on the shelf the other day for $49.95. I told the shop owner I should take a picture of it as I hadn’t laid eyes on 4350 since the creedmore craze hit. It got a chuckle out of the typically stoic gentleman.

I have two eight pound jugs and a few one pound of H4895 on the shelf. I am making sure to try different powders in new guns to make it last.

I stocked up a few years ago and still have 7 8lb jugs left. lots of other powders also. I have not seen any on the shelves in at least a year and a half.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestThat's awesome. I'll give you $126;p. I can't even tell you the last time I've seen any. I see the IMR but not the H.

Been 2 years since I bought some in 1 lbers. Been almost 3 since I bought the 8 lb jug for a .243 Win slow twist I have yet to finish

I found a place in MI that had 3 1# jugs. I grabbed one due to these posts. I can't believe they're up to $50 a pound! I feel like it was $26 just a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that Hodgdon is charging dealers that much more now, and also feel like the prices will not get back to what they were.

I hit the "igloo" in Aberdeen on the way west back in 13-14. Asked if they had H4895, they weighed it out of bulk containers into plastic bottles. I wanted to try it with 50 gr vmax out of my 22-250. Very accurate, shot all up on pd, later that year.

Originally Posted By: wolverinesI found a place in MI that had 3 1# jugs. I grabbed one due to these posts. I can't believe they're up to $50 a pound! I feel like it was $26 just a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that Hodgdon is charging dealers that much more now, and also feel like the prices will not get back to what they were.

You have bought powder for a while if you aren’t aware of the price. Has doubled in the last two years. Go on to Hodgdon website and see what they are charging.

Back