waited too long

Out last night 15 deg wind chill, (you can hear the wind whipping on the video) way under dressed, had a coyote pop up 300 yards to my left and disappear in the high grass. About 10 minutes later I could see his head in the wood line 150 yards straight out in front of me.I switched from the CF Cottontail to the Lil's Cottontail which is more aggressive. That sucker came in so fast I had trouble hitting record on the scope and couldn't hit mute on my remote because my fingers were frozen. I should have shot when he stopped facing me for a second, but It happened so fast and I thought he would turn broadside. He came running to my caller before figuring out something was up and heading for the hills. I don't much like running shots, so I let him go for another day. Was still better than sitting on the couch, learned another lesson and I got a cool video.

Another lesson learned. Maybe several. I was out last nite also but dressed for the cold. I wear gloves that are fingerless but have a mitten type of flap that flips over your fingers until you need to use your fingers, I call them glovemits. When it gets real cold I put a hand warmer in them. I don't try to get video as I am getting old and slow.

Pabow, don’t fret too much, stuff like that happens to us all at one time or another. Below is an example of why I too don’t like running shots. And, trying to get the mini DVR turned on for video cost me. He came in quick and close, ran up to a point and stopped for 2-3 seconds, then retreated. If not for me fumbling with video I could have dropped him when he stopped. Hang in there. He lives for another day and there’s more around.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1SQ8nr0TxVY

Like David said we’ve all been there & done that , lol !

These will help eliminate frozen fingers ! I use Celestron Elements 4400 mah hand warmers . I buy 4 to a time when I need to replace them. Love them, slip into pockets on my mittens also just slip my lightly gloved shooting hand into pocket holding one. I tried heated gloves and came right back to these. I think Korey also uses these.

Don’t leave home without them !!! Bought some right directly from Celestron in the fall but not seeing this 4400 listed right now. Got them for $20 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-ThermoTank-Scent-Free-Chemical-Free-Rechargeable/dp/B00VNGO95W?th=1

Just need to buy better or different gear. I switched from cold weather under armor to wool for my base layer. Solved my sweating issue’s which keeps me drier and warmer.
Started using electric socks in my mickey mouse boots.
Always have my heated vest on in really cold weather. Don’t always power it on but it’s nice when my core starts getting cold.

Where there’s a will there’s a way !

Congrats on an awesome season !

Back