Scope for a 17 hmr

Looking for a scope for a savage A17 I picked up. All of my rimfires are open sights so new to this round and wondering were to start. Im thinking 40mm so I can stay lower. Not really looking to shoot anything in particular. Going to put a rail on it for mounting so I can put my thermal on it if I want. Also what reticle do you suggest. Thanks. All the searches I found on here where several years old.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnota name brand 3x9x40 with duplex reticle would be just right.

That's what all three of ours wear.

I just received one of the Sightrons S1G2 1.75-5 from cameralandny, mounted it today, I'm impressed with the glass in it. I'll sight it tomorrow morning and hunt it on the way back home.

I'd look at the Athlon Argos 2-12, everything a 3-9 is with a larger FOV on the bottom end and more Xs on the top.

My 22 Mag wears a 1.5-6x42 Burris w/illuminated dot which I like for coyote hunting.

I have three 17 rimfires, 2 17HMR's and a 17WSM. One of the 17HMR's has a older Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40AO the other has a Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42AO my 17WSM also has an older Leupy Vari-X III 4.5-14x40AO.

I much prefer scopes with side focus but the AO is better than having nothing. They've worked out well for shooting sage rats over the years.

I have a Savage 93R17HMR GV topped off with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 and a CZ American !7HMR topped off with the same scope. They are very clear and holds point of impact very well. Unfortunately Nikon is no longer making scopes. They do very well out to as far as you want to take that little pill.

The Leupold VX-1 rimfire line were very nice for the money. Maybe look for a used one. I’d definitely try to stay in something designed for rimfire, they tend to have the parallax set for rimfire ranges and finer reticle.

I rarely hunt with a 22 LR rifle but put holes in paper with them. One wears a 6-18 and the other an 8-32 with the goal of tiny groups, so I guess your quarry should decide you optic needs, not the caliber of your rifle.

I ended up going with a Hawke 4-12x40 with a reticle set up for .17. It was on sale. Never had Hawke before. I did not want to go to crazy because I just bought a thermal. Honestly I want to switch back and forth with it. If I ever go all day hunting I might look at something different. I have long been a Leupold fan. I have heard good stuff about sightron but have never tried one. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Last edited:
Back