How Heavy is Too Heavy?

RLcCUNdm.jpg

as shown weights are

Top is a Kimber Montana 223AI 6 3/4 lbs 18" BBL
Rem 700 20 Prac 7 lb 2 oz 18" BBL
Bottom AR 223 7 lb 7 oz 16" BBL

These could b lighter is I used other scopes, but I like the SWFA SS 6x. My longest shot last trip with the 223 AI was around 210 yards, bang flop result.

I took the Kimber to AZ last trip and used it the whole trip. Going to take the AR15 on next trip, along with the 20 P

https://i.imgur.com/RLcCUNd.jpg

I have heavier rifles for prairie dogs and such, but prefer the lighter rifles for carrying in the field. I am 61 and not as fit as the old days years ago. LOL I would just build another rifle if you have that option.

My predator rifles run between 9-10# but, the short M4gery @ 8.1# was my favorite. It was the handiest rifle ever, especially for quick target acquisition.

Regards,
hm

My model 11 wearing a factory profile 22” .223 barrel is 7.5#. Same rifle wearing a 26” heavy Varmint barrel but in a Bell & Carlson M40 Varmint /tactical stock is 10.5 lbs. weight is pretty much all in that long tube. I could take a pound off cutting it back to 18”. Easily.

Its really personal and depends how far you walk and how you hunt. I have guns from 6lbs to 25lbs. I have taken my 24" heavy barrel AR coyote calling when it just happened everything else suitable was not sighted in. Its about 13 lbs. I also walk around hunting prairie dogs from sticks or from fence posts with this gun. Does it work? Sure. Is it as pleasant and useful as my lighter guns? Heck no! Its horrible from sticks and really hard to move/adjust the sticks.

I find something with a total weight scoped between 7 and 8 lbs to be ideal. I also have a cz 527 varmint in 17 hornet that is 9lbs or so and its also pretty good. A lot of it is also balance and handling. I like light guns with long barrels. The long barrel increases the moment of inertia compared to the overall weight. Plus you get more velocity with less muzzle blast. Its a win win. I really dislike stubby guns with 18-20" barrels. To each their own though.

So, what’s the story on these Lite barrels?
I am looking at a Tikka “super lite” in 223 with one of these, are they accurate?
Can these fluted lite barrels be threaded to use a can?
I shoot suppressed always and that would be a deal breaker for me.
Light though.

Pulled the Krieger off and I'm gonna have it cut down to 20" as suggested.
Threaded for my Specwar, should be back in a couple weeks.

I've got a couple of slings that use 2 straps, and you carry it on your back like a pack. The straps are adjustable and long enough to wear over your backpack. Used it to haul my Ten-Point crossbow no problem.
Soup

Got my barrel back after the chop down to 20” today
Definitely handles better
9’ 14oz. With scope

If someone could help me with pic from photo bucket, I will get some pics up

For me is more about balance than the actual weight. My go to AR upper for years was a 16" fluted bull barrel. Went to a 10.5" after getting a can to keep the overall length, weight and balance about the same.

I also had a 24" heavy barrel 20 practical that I absolutely hated because of length and balance.

Originally Posted By: crapshootFor me is more about balance than the actual weight. My go to AR upper for years was a 16" fluted bull barrel. Went to a 10.5" after getting a can to keep the overall length, weight and balance about the same.

I also had a 24" heavy barrel 20 practical that I absolutely hated because of length and balance.

I’m with Crapshoot…weight is relative. If I have to pack it in go light. Otherwise, being a more “robust” gent, I prefer the stability of weight so I don’t over power the gun. My .308 is nicknamed the Hog…Hand Of God because of how it puts coyotes down.

The hog is all of 14 lbs with my suppressor. 16 in fluted stainless .308 on our billet upper/lower set, Magpul MOE stock, 3.5 lb trigger, YHM Phanton suppressor, camera and mount. I run the Nightstalker tripod from our friends at Night Goggles, mainly because I film while hunting.

Originally Posted By: Tf282So, what’s the story on these Lite barrels?
I am looking at a Tikka “super lite” in 223 with one of these, are they accurate?
Light though.

They can be very accurate? The bolt action rifles above are very accurate. I have a Tikka 22-250 t3 that is very accurate also. I put a can on most of my rifles, even the ones with light contour barrels like above.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: Tf282So, what’s the story on these Lite barrels?
Light though.

They can be very accurate? The bolt action rifles above are very accurate. I have a Tikka 22-250 t3 that is very accurate also. I put a can on most of my rifles, even the ones with light contour barrels like above.

The big drawback is that they can start getting loose as they get hot. But most of us only get cold bore shots on predators, so that issue is really a non-starter.

Most suppressors shift the POI from POA from the gas entering the baffles and not so much from the weight. A buddy of mine runs a YHM Titanium Phantom which is about half the weight of my YHM Stainless Phantom. Our POI shift is the same at 4 inches.

Remember, accuracy is hitting what you are aiming at, precision is hitting the same spot each time. ALL barrels are going to whip, you just want them to whip consistently.

I have seen uber light uber expensive barrels shoot like garbage and I have seen inexpensive barrels shoot like trash. Good quality manufacturing has more to do with it than just what it's made from.

Thumbhole Thumper cut from 26" down to 20", balances alot better and shoots cloverleafs..
223 AI
Swarovski 3-18 Z5
Get some

20230202_074427.jpg

Last edited:
Back