How many of you are using or considering a tripod for hunting?

xphunter

Curious who is using a tripod for hunting or is considering it?
What set-ups do you use?
Pictures would be great!

What is the weight(s) of your hunting gun(s) that you also shoot off of a tripod?
This is not my lightest hunting XP.
mnK2nxAl.jpg

Do you know the weight of your tripod with head, and what is it's shortest length?
Mine comes down to 22 inches and weighs 3 pounds and smidgen under 9 ounces, or rounded down to 3.5 pounds
aw7h0LCl.jpg

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's (With XP's and rifles) in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it in 2023.

Using 8" or 10" steel what is the max distance you can hit your target every time (with your hunting rig) from standing, sitting, or double kneeling? Especially interested in standing.

I am getting Arca rails (2.5-3 inches long just in front of the trigger guard) installed after the first of the year on a handful of my primary hunting center-grip XP-100's: (6mm-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, 280AI, and 300 SAUM).
I do understand I am adding weight to my hunting set-up.

Pros and Cons?

Below is my 6.5-284.
My 6.5-284 is not my lightest weight (8 pounds) hunting XP-100, but I had it handy.
It shoots amazing, even at distance with 140 AB's: 2784 fps (distance was 575 yards on 10" steel)
2N8D5T0l.jpg

I tried them but too cumbersome and if a coyote comes in from the wrong direction almost impossible to change your field of fire.

WWPIeO.jpg

It works great for PDs where you know where your shots are going to be.

Last edited:
I'm with AWS for daytime hunting. Nights is a whole different deal, then I'm just using a cheapo Bog death grip. Someday I'll upgrade the top to a leveling base, but honestly it works pretty well for me as is.

I’ve been using a tripod. I really like it. Not as quick to maneuver like shooting sticks, but Makes for a very stable shooting platform

For night time they're awesome. Never tried one in the day time. I feel like sitting down it'd just be one more thing to get hung up on something.

Daytime calling I am usually sitting and so I just use sticks. Fast, easy, adaptable and suits my style. I don't see that changing. Might be a different story if I was using a pistol though.

At night though we both stalk pigs and call coyotes. I do that exclusively from the standing position with a tripod. Coyotes out to 250-300 (and beyond) is not a problem at all. The main issue is not the stability of the tripod, but accurate ranging and holds. I do a lot of shooting with AR platforms but a fair amount with bolt guns as well.

We walk a lot with tripods. Especially stalking pigs. Most of that is in sandy, plowed fields. Weight is a concern, especially after the 3rd or 4th 300-500 yard stalk of the night. So what I look for is not the absolute most stable tripod, but a combination of good stability and light weight. I am sure there are plenty that fit the bill but one I have grown pretty fond of is the original No Name tripod by Two Vets. For me it is a really good blend of weight/stability. This is the one with 36 mm main legs. I actually have two of them, my main one and then a loaner for my kids/friends. One has the Two Vets 55 ball head with quick release on it, the other has an Innorel N52. Honestly I can't tell much difference between the two. I also tried a LeFotovo (sp) levelling head but really didn't like it for panning shots. I use ARCA plate mounts on everything.

Here are a couple of my rifle setups. 243 with a Thermion in an Ag composites stock for calling, and a lightweight 300 HAMR with AGM TS35-384 Varmint for stalking pigs.

BNyARpW.jpg

7fzY1DH.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:I tried them but too cumbersome and if a coyote comes in from the wrong direction almost impossible to change your field of fire.

^^^^This. Never tried tripods but hunt daytime only and prefer sticks as they can be adjusted or even dumped quickly to accomplish quick shifts as needed.

Regards,
hm

This year was first calling at night with thermal sight. Totally used to sticks/bipod, and limited night calling. First time out, bipod sitting. Coyote left when I had to move bipod(noisy snow). Purchased a tripod(standing) no more problems, with humidity(thermal further from snow) or noise moving rifle for shot. I think the tripod is steadier also.

Kind of. I use a Trigger Sticks tripod, so my rifle (or shotgun) is not attached. It's steady enough, adjustable all the way from sitting on the ground to standing, and stays put when I have to lift the rifle/shotgun out of it to take that shot in an unexpected direction.

So to answer a couple of your specific questions. Took a pic at lunch of my tripod with the ball head attached. Roughly 5.2 lbs ready to hunt, looks like OAL fully collapsed about 25". I can tell you that everyone who I have hunted with that started with an aluminum Bog Death Grip, comments on how light mine feels, and how solid it is compared to that. After borrowing mine nearly every single one of them has upgraded. Mostly to this same setup I have. Not saying it is the only option, not by far. In fact looks like it isn't even an option any more, I just looked on their website and says it has been discontinued. You can ask Infidel 762 though, I think he got one from them a few weeks ago. I know he likes his a lot.

Most of my rifles are going to be 7.5 lbs to 10 lbs with loaded mag, batteries, sling, ready to hunt.

xZN4gIU.jpg

My tripod and head are not top end, not by any stretch. Generally I spend the least I can, and still get something that is going to do the job well. I guess you would say low to mid range of "quality" gear. I don't want cheap crap, but don't want to break the bank either.

As others have said, whether day or night, sitting has its issues which must be dealt with. The biggest is rapid transitions, especially if on a slope. Having a tripod that adjusts easily and quickly helps a lot, and knowing how to make those transitions, and anticipating the issues. Having said that I believe sticks are still the best option in close country or where any angle can happen. Tripods still can have their use sitting. Open vistas where shots can be long, and generally you can see them coming and have time to adjust, it can work well.

IMO where a tripod REALLY shines is standing, especially at night. From the standing position a tripod is fast. Really fast, when you get used to it. I would even make the argument "potentially" faster than offhand, because even though you might move slightly faster offhand, once you get on target the shot off the stabilized tripod is going to be faster because you are so much more stable and will settle way down quicker. And the difference in accuracy is not even in the same category.

Last week we did some night calling. Killed 4, 3 of those were 190-235 yards, all one shot DRT, from standing. Not super impressive or anything but easily achievable.

I'm no expert, not by any stretch. Just an old country boy that's been shooting coyotes for 35 years or so.

Here is a video of some of our pig shooting last year. I'm not saying all my shooting was the best, lol. I have some good days, and some pretty bad ones as well. But all of this was standing off a tripod. It shows how fast a tripod can be and still settle down on target quickly. The key is learning how to set one up and how to move behind the tripod.

https://rumble.com/v18gmxc-2021-2022-thermal-pig-hunting.html

Primos Trigger Sticks, Jim Shockey Edition
Basic shooting sticks
Harris Bipods of various lengths

Really depends on the situation I am hunting in as who what I use.

There are tons of options. IMO, if you are night hunting you will gain so much from a solid tripod that the money really isn’t much of a consideration. I went from using a dead shot field pod to a set of manfroto legs with a mg468 head and started making much better shots. Then went to a set of feisol legs with a RRS bh-55 head and it got better. Not I’m onto two vets QDT legs and a rrs leveling base and my kids are hitting 2” steel targets at 500 yards frequently. I have never regretted spending money on good tripods/heads. A lot of guys are happy running bog pods and that’s awesome. But if you have the ability to get a higher end setup, you absolutely WILL shoot better from it.

I have used a Polecat aluminum monopod for years. Works great and it can be dropped and out of the way quick if necessary. I’ve used Harris bipods and they get in the way too much. Too cumbersome and awkward for calling in my opinion. I don’t attach anything to my rifle anymore. It’ll cause problems down the road.

Everyone seems to do it different. Depends on the rifle but I like to mount mine as close as I can to the magazine and still get the full range of motion. Once you get into the really solid setups, there’s a little leeway without losing much stability so my arca rail has about a 3” section right in front of the magazine that the finish is worn off from having it clamped in that general area. One thing that no one told me when I got into the tripods is that most forends have much more flex than the tripod legs themselves so when you are attaching a short arca rail to an aluminum forend (AR style) the forend will flex a lot so it adds a bunch of instability. The solution is a longer arca rail that travels further down the forend so there isn’t a small point where all that stress is being placed. A tightly secured 10-12” arca rail on a forend will give you a ton more stability. If you run a bolt gun, I would highly consider a chassis that has an integral arca rail.

Ball heads/leveling bases are also no something to save a bunch of money on. Even some of the higher dollar options are trash compared to RRS heads. Especially when it comes to their ability to lock the ball or base. A RRS leveling base is the most solid option I know of right now. Although there are some ball heads that are better for some applications. I know warrior tripods has come out with a leveling base that looks nice so that might be an option that’s a big seller in the future. For what you spend on a quality ball head ($550) you can get an rrs leveling base ($350) and save the money you will have lost if you bought a $150-$200 head and sold it six months later when you realize they aren’t as good.

Some guys will run those cheaper heads for years and be happy with them. If that’s you, great! But if you are looking for the most solid option, you will most likely have to spend a bit more.

I’ve thought about using a tripod, and I’ve got a couple, but I want just the saddle or holder to screw into the tripod. I don’t want to add anything to my rifle. Any recommendations,/brands of what I’m after?

Originally Posted By: PirogueI’ve thought about using a tripod, and I’ve got a couple, but I want just the saddle or holder to screw into the tripod. I don’t want to add anything to my rifle. Any recommendations,/brands of what I’m after?

The Rekon has a saddle.

You can find it here from one of our previous sponsors:

https://allpredatorcalls.com/rekon-ct-1-...g-saddle-mount/

I have found that the tripod is a necessity for filming while hunting. I don't have a film crew, usually it's just me. So I mount my camera on top of my rifle. This makes it pretty heavy, but the tripod makes it manageable to film and shoot.

I have made some long shots with this set up, 300-400 yards even on runners.

image000001 (2) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Mo

Originally Posted By: erictFor you tripod users - do you generally try to mount the gun to the tripod at the gun's center of balance?

Yes, mount it as close to balanced as you can.

I use a leveling head and not a ball head. I got sick of wearing out ballheads. Switched and have never looked back. Lost a little range of motion aiming up and down at angles . But, in Michigan not too many mountains- so it doesn’t effect me.

I use a Innorel RT90C . It has a leveling base head included. I just add a arca mount on top it’s made by Haoge . Pretty simple and not too high priced . Very sturdy and weights just under 5.5lbs

Last edited:
I use a carbon BOG Death Grip usually for deer hunting but for coyotes on occasion. I usually use sticks for coyotes as I’m moving around more for different calling sets. Have used a FieldPod Max as well. Super stable, but a pain to carry around.

Back