Rage hypodermic got it done.

Dultimatpredator

Was bow hunting a few weeks ago and this unlucky Fox happened to walk by me. He spooked 3 does so I figured the turkey and grouse egg eater needed to be removed. He came by me on a trot. I made a barking noise stopping him dead in his tracks. I hit it perfectly behind the front shoulder with a Rage hypodermic expandable broadhead around 20 yards. The only bad thing was I stuck him to a downed tree. He snapped my arrow off, did a few “popcorn popping” bounces, and made it about 5 yards. Unfortunately the broad head was completely buried in the tree I pinned him to so there was no salvaging it or the arrow. I skinned it out and will have quite a bit of sewing to do. Doesn’t look like the broad head expanded till it exited. But still put some huge holes in and out. I’ve only seen 3 greys in all the decades while hunting in my woods. Two I removed on the spot . The other was chasing a red Fox and I couldn’t get my bow up fast enough. I have a a few resident Reds that disappeared this year. I have let them reside there just because I enjoy watching them. I would see them almost every time I bow hunted the last two to three years. I had a few bobcat move in to my area last year and the red Fox disappeared. Guessing the Bobcats took care of them. Hopefully I saved a few turkey, woodcock, and grouse nests for this upcoming Spring.

jSJ3wJ8.jpg

Entry hole…

y44x0V3.jpg

Exit…

gUxeGBv.jpg

Didn't seem like the hypodermic opened very wide on the way in but the exit was definitely a bog slit. I haven't go a shot at the big buck ive been after. Saw him 3 times and never had a clear shot. First season ends tomorrow and rut has come to a halt. I had a few hypodermics that didn't open I years past. Rage told me to rotate the collars. Collar was rotated on this fox. Seemed to open fine imo.

Great shooting. I used to hunt the Necedah refuge back in the 1950s and 60s with a bow, great bow hunting state.

I usually get a shot at a coyote or cat each archery deer season. I shoot cut on contact QAD Exodus broadheads. They don't run far after one of those whistles through.

Originally Posted By: AWSGreat shooting. I used to hunt the Necedah refuge back in the 1950s and 60s with a bow, great bow hunting state.

My dad took me bowhunting back in the 70's there. About 45 minutes away.

The rage got it done again!…without opening just like the fox last season. This time on a 160 1/8” buck. A couple hundred yard track job and found it. Double lunged and never exited. The red collars aren’t braking and letting my blades loose with a complete pass through in my block target. This is the 4th deer I’ve shot with the red collar Rage Hypodermics and not not have the blades deploy. Rage replaced my 2 packs with the no collar versions after this episode. I’ll try one of the NC hypodermic heads in my block target and see if it deploys both blades 12 out of 12 times. If so I’ll hunt with them next season. If not I ordered a couple packs of the Nap sling blade 2 3/16” Ti 2 blades on sale at midway for $26 per 3 that remind me of the Rocky Mountain gator 100’s. I had great results with original gators decades ago before they got bought out and discontinued the head.

5VB5sUF.jpg

vzAXMSL.jpg

0qIA9X9.jpg

Last edited:
Those hypodermics have become my favorite broadhead. Have been using them for 3yrs now, used the reg orange colored rage for about 10yrs prior. I use the Trypan version in 100gr. I haven’t tried the No Collar version yet, I hope they don’t discontinue the collared but looking that way. I’ve gotten complete pass throughs on around 10 deer from 20-50yds, killed several turkey and a red fox with the Trypans.

I lost a very good buck years ago with a mechanical broadhead. Threw them in a box and went back to fixed blades. I use Slick Tricks now and Muzzy's before. No more mechanical's for me, but glad you found your buck. That's a nice one!

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on a very nice deer. I have always used fix blade, just old school.

Old school is cool... and it works just fine.

Thanks, at the taxidermist now. Missed one bigger about three weeks ago. Hit a branch! Was an eight point that had tines around 14” tall. The other one Ive been after for 3 years with drop tines the neighbor kid shot opening morning gun season. It broke off both drops and several points between the last time I saw it the last week of October. Guess I can’t win every yea. I passed up ALOTbof really nice bucks this year waiting for one of the two and I blew my shot. Thats hunting.

Back