6mm dti

6dti. I run a 22dti Because law won't allow me to run anything over .22 cal. at night. I can run 50gr bullets at 3800 fps. I run 60gr at 3450 with great success.

I think barrel length would play into the equation. Right now 6.8 brass is a bit scarce as well

If you just want max speed the 6dti wins hands down.

Last edited:
The 6x45 doesn’t have any extra sauce in it. The ar 15 needs all the powder you can get. I run a 6 dti. But if doing it again I go 6 Hagar. 37 grains of sauce autta launch a 55 with some added gusto.

Commom shorter barrel lengths (16 to 20") and accurate 2200 powder will produce very good speeds with 55s in the 6x45 with plentiful brass. If it is accurate with that combo it has it advantages over the .223. Good bullet selection as well.
With 55s...
6x45 is a 3350 ish cartridge
6dti adds 150 ish to that
6 hagar adds another 75 to that
My 24" 6 hagar will will run 70 Nosler bt's 3400 with a compressed load of AR Comp.
I'm shooting Sierra 60s 3523 now with 32.5 8208 and primers are fairly flat but no catering or case head marks.
I tried 33 8208 with 58s and they string verticaly and show no pressure yet and primers are still round.
I went up to 33.3 8208 with 55 varmaggedon hps and same thing no pressure yet.
The 60s shoot so good I really am not sure how much I will mess with 55s but I will revisit the 70s and AR Comp since that was our original intent to build the reamer to be optimized for that bullet.
The finishing reamer was supposed to have been a custom ground 0 freebore reamer from ptg but they hosed us and imo sent us the std .117 freebore reamer and we were unaware of that until all 3 barrels were chambered. Thanks Dave! I have been concentrating on bullets that will reach the lands without exceeding mag length and 70 bts are about .100" away at max length. 60s hit land at 2.260" which is a blessing.

Last edited:
I have a 6x6.8 (which is close to a 6 DTI) and love it. I have it and a 6 arc. I get about 100fps more on average with the 6x6.8 so the 6 arc stays in the safe most of the time.

Both have 20" barrels. I get 3200 with 70gr BTs and 3500 with Nosler 55 gr sp's

I've debated on getting a 6x45 for a long time just because brass availability but how often are you going to run mixed brass through it? For me probably never. That is for my .223 ARs.

I also always feel more is better. The AR needs all the help it can get. 6.8 case has more case capacity so The 6DTI is a lot faster.

Down side is brass but it does pop up at Starline and other places. I'm sure you can find some before you get a barrel.

Brass is out of stock now but the 6 Hagar is it as far as max AR15 performance goes. Every other AR cartridge is just trying to be what it's is but it has the case capacity advantage which makes it king imo. Not sure why it hasn't taken off since the brass was there to be had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Brass is out of stock now but the 6 Hagar is it as far as max AR15 performance goes. Every other AR cartridge is just trying to be what it's is but it has the case capacity advantage which makes it king imo. Not sure why it hasn't taken off since the brass was there to be had.

I would probably start reloading again for a Hager. Who makes the barrels, uppers, dies ,etc

Thanks
jon

Originally Posted By: docjon2013Originally Posted By: varminter .223Brass is out of stock now but the 6 Hagar is it as far as max AR15 performance goes. Every other AR cartridge is just trying to be what it's is but it has the case capacity advantage which makes it king imo. Not sure why it hasn't taken off since the brass was there to be had.

I would probably start reloading again for a Hager. Who makes the barrels, uppers, dies ,etc
D-Tech has the Hagar reamer, so they'll do barrels or complete uppers.

I had them do a 12" twist 20" barrel for me, and bought the dies and brass from Creedmoor Sports.

I have a great load with 65 Bergers at 3330, but haven't hunted it yet.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/hornady-6mm-hagar-brass-500-count/Brass

Back