204 Ruger help

FishnHunt9

I have a 204 Ruger that is a 18" Rifle length gas and the gas port is too small it measures .071 what would be a good ballpark figure to drill it out to?

Wouldn't go past .090 without planning on an adjustable block. I usually double check everything is alignment first and as last resort start opening up the hole a few thou at a time. Reassemble and test between drills.

Ive tried everything I can think to do, opened the original adjustable gas block all the way, I changed the gas block and took one off another ar, changed mags, have tried other bolts, and have changed buffer weights and had one that weighed 2.1 oz in it today and bolt would still not go back far enough to lock. the lower is used in other uppers and functions fine.

Last edited:
Since you're swapping all the parts around, might make sure you have the right buffer spring in it. Gas rings and carrier key would be other things to check.

What ammo are you using? Have you tried several kinds? I have a 204 with mid length gas system that cycles fine.

I’m down to my last box of nosler varmageddon and it’s tough to find 204 ammo right now finding nosler varmageddon is impossible probably unless it’s at a store off beaten path, I have everything to reload for it besides dies and bullets but wanted to get this straight before I considered that

Generally a shorter or thicker barrel requires a gas port on the larger size. How fast the bullet travels from the port to the muzzle also is a factor. If you install an adjustable gb, open the port more. I would make sure port is clear, gb and gas tube is aligned correctly, than open port if required. Try 10% larger to start with. Brass needs to eject to 3-4 o'clock. If brass is ejecting there but bolt is not fully functional, there is a different problem.

I ended up opening the gas port hole up to .085 it seemed a little overgassed I upped my buffer to 2.5 oz and it is ejecting between 3-4 and the bolt locks back now like it should

When I started reading the thread, I thought in addition to the gas port issue the OP mentioned, that simply feeding a 204 is difficult. My immediate thought was on buffer weight/ adj gas block and/or feeding mods on the magazine. Personally, I take my pmags apart and grind off the front guides so that the round acts like I want when the bolt cycles. If I don’t fix the pmag, then my 204s don’t feed right and that causes my bolt not to fully close.

Originally Posted By: J GaltWhen I started reading the thread, I thought in addition to the gas port issue the OP mentioned, that simply feeding a 204 is difficult. My immediate thought was on buffer weight/ adj gas block and/or feeding mods on the magazine. Personally, I take my pmags apart and grind off the front guides so that the round acts like I want when the bolt cycles. If I don’t fix the pmag, then my 204s don’t feed right and that causes my bolt not to fully close.

pmags are the wrong answer for 204. the shoulder is placed improperly for as you noted the rib. so modification is necessary.

much simpler to keep to traditional stainless mags. havent tried lancer 300bo mags yet, those might be an option, but just havnet field tested.

point is - its not feeding 204 thats a problem, its that youre trying to use the wrong magazine to feed it from thats the problem.

204 feeds just fine if you dont try to reinvent the wheel doing it.

It was definitely undergassed, when I talked to wilson combat they wouldn't acknowledge that the gas port could have been drilled too small and would not respond to my reply to their response. It is functioning like it should with a 2.5 oz buffer in it, so well see how the next few months go hopefully it continues.

Back