Hunting with a rare old friend.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
My computer is down so no pics, will ad when I can.

I was straightening up my loading bench and came across a box of match ammo for my 6x45 and though I haven't hunted with that rifle in years. Rare, I bought it new in 1966 a Rem 600 in 223 Rem. The 600 was never cataloged in 223 an only 350 were made and all were supposed to be sold to LE. I ordered mine in Taiwan at the Embassy gunshop for $69. Including weaver 4x scope. This was pre-internet and I had no idea it was rare. It was ugly so the first stop was the armory to have the rib remove and rib lugs milled of. The the forend got rounded and it turned into a pleasant looking rifle.

It was my go-to for thirty years, on trap lines, I drilled the stock so I could put a biathalon style sling on it when skied my line or called fox on skis. It even won a couple informal cub BR shoots.

Finally in the mid 1990s the 223 the barrel gave up the ghost and I had PacNor screw on a 6x45 barrel, then it got a synthetic stock and aluminum bottom metal. It was even more accurate. I killed a number of coyotes in WA with it but realized it was pretty heavy handed if fur is your goal and it slowly migrated to the back of the safe.

Well today it went hunting and drew blood on the first stand. It is still heavy handed on fur but I kept it low in the chest so the whole back will be useable. I think it will see a little more action with the fur market as it is. My furs will go to the tanner.

Today was another one in the grass meadows at twenty yards straight upwind into the caller, a large male. I skinned him hanging from the rail road trestle, not a tree in sight.

Very nice, that's a lot of history with that gun! It's nice to get them out and get the ring rust off 'em.

I had a 600 in .308 that was just hard to look at and warm up to. I traded it off pretty quickly and probably didn't give it a fair chance since I had a Model 7 in 243 that was a great handling gun.

Thanks for sharing

Back