House Call Coyote

DoubleUp

When I got home from Church last night, I scanned the field and saw a coyote about 900 yds. away. So, I got out the call and here she came. That coyote came tearing across the field, but she didn't have the sound precisely pinpointed. Some dogs were barking in a lot across the road from me and she sort of headed toward them. She soon realized they weren't friendly and headed back the other way.

I hit her with the call again and she turned around and started back still confused on where the sound was. This time she went out of my sight toward the barking dogs. In three minutes here she comes back and stops about 40 yds. out in the field beside my house. I already had the rifle up and recorder going.

The small bobcat at the end is from the previous night and I recorded it on black hot.

#17 by Double Up, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I've shot several that way over the years, but everything including the wind has to be just right.

She came in leaps and bounds there near the end. That was a sudden surprise to see her suddenly appear so close. Looks like the cat overlooked a mouse on his way.

Lol, when my heart quits racing, I'll quit coyote hunting. Yeah, even though I had made a couple of whines to bring her back, it was unexpected for her to show up at 40 yds. and I tried to shoot her with the safety on.

No gas money needed on that hunt!!! Nice work getting her that close buddy, thanks for posting!!

You've upped your game nicely on the video editing, that took some time, really nice work BTW!

Last edited:
Thanks Kino. You've convinced me to give the black hot mode a fairer trial. I think for sure at closer ranges "for me", it gives a more detailed presence on the animal.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks Kino. You've convinced me to give the black hot mode a fairer trial. I think for sure at closer ranges "for me", it gives a more detailed presence on the animal.

The thing I found is in super high humidity and fog conditions it really really pops on black hot. On a good thermal night thats cold with low humidity its a Ford/Chevy preference but to my eyes in bad conditions its no comparison. The humidity reduces thermal shading as well making it harder to judge distance. Like you said, I also feel like black hot provides better detail. The reticle is also MUCH easier to see on a coyote using black hot.

Oddly though I prefer to scan on white hot!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks Kino. You've convinced me to give the black hot mode a fairer trial. I think for sure at closer ranges "for me", it gives a more detailed presence on the animal.

The thing I found is in super high humidity and fog conditions it really really pops on black hot. On a good thermal night thats cold with low humidity its a Ford/Chevy preference but to my eyes in bad conditions its no comparison. The humidity reduces thermal shading as well making it harder to judge distance. Like you said, I also feel like black hot provides better detail. The reticle is also MUCH easier to see on a coyote using black hot.

Oddly though I prefer to scan on white hot! To me it varies per brand/sensor. Flir and BAE sensors seem to produce a better image with black hot and iRay for instance with white hot. On my Phenom scanner, RedHot actually does really well in tough conditions and when it gets so bad nobody should be hunting I use Target Hot.

It varies as well as to what a person wants to do. I use black hot a lot when trying to see subtle differences in terrain.

For the thermals with color reticle options this really helps so that the reticle is easily visible in a variety of conditions.

First series of 3 howls, she was in a ditch so that made it harder for her to pinpoint the sound. Second series was just two howls and she was going away. Third series of two howls and I changed the caller direction to make the sound be going away from her, but anyway it worked well enough to get her close.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks Kino. You've convinced me to give the black hot mode a fairer trial. I think for sure at closer ranges "for me", it gives a more detailed presence on the animal.

Oddly though I prefer to scan on white hot!

Interesting to read this, as I just came to the same conclusion earlier this year that I prefer black hot on the gun as well.

Most generally I'm on the "birdy" icon for scanning with the Phenom, as it seems to be easier on the eye than white hot.

Back