Factory ammo for Bobcat

mr fixit

Folks, I've got a bobcat on my game cam in my food plot. it's shown up at least half-a-dozen times in the last 2 months. I'm pretty sure it's living around there somewhere close. I have shot lots of bobcats over the last 35 years, but only once was I concerned about the pelt. I'm thinking I might want to mount this one for the house.

So, what factory ammo won't put a huge hole in it, but tends to anchor it on the spot.

I have my 'hunting' AR in .223. I've got Winchester and Hornaday 62 and 64 grain soft points that I've used on both whitetail and hogs (for hogs I use head shots). I also have 22LR, and then above .223 I have .270 and up. I figure .223 is going to be my best option.

Shots will be 100yds and in.

My son has a fox mounted that we shot after calling it in with lip squeaks to about 25 yards. He shot it straight on in the chest, (the fox was propped up on a rock on his front legs to get a better look) with a 30-06 165gr soft point. The bullet entered center of the chest and exited straight out the back. No expansion, couldn't even find the exit. But I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean it's what I want this time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hornady 15.5gr NTX - 17hmr. Bobcats often let you pick your shot. Take out the far side shoulder just like this and it won't run.
36917861516_295c895760_n.jpg

Frontal shots work well too.

Forget the rifle and grab a 12 gauge with lead BB shot. Find a kicks .670 choke to go with it and you’ll be good to 65 yards (or more) with a tested and proven tight pattern.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Hornady Vmax. I use the 55gr. for hogs, coyotes and bobcats. You already have the 223 which will give you some range if needed and this bullet has small entry and seldom no exit as it fragments rapidly. As always, shot placement is the key to all successful hunts.
Are you anywhere around Greenville?

South Kaufman County.

it's going to have to be one of the calibers I already have, which naturally includes 12 gauge, but does not include .17.

Should have specified I guess, best factory ammo in .223 for bobcat

A accurate FMJ bullet may not do to much damage to a bobcat. A 12 ga load of lead #2 shot will do a lot less damage to bobcats than most .223 bullets will do.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHornady 15.5gr NTX - 17hmr. Bobcats often let you pick your shot. Take out the far side shoulder just like this and it won't run.

Uh... that's not a bobcat. I looked again, still not a bobcat.
smile.gif

I shoot softpoints. (lol) Don't do it. Sometimes it's a pin hole in and a nickel going out. Hit a bone wrong and you'll have a large rip in the skin. Shotgun or 22 magnum would be my choices.

I say no on the softpoints, as Softpoint said. Bobcats are thin skinned and soft meat. My preference is the Vmax as it will get the job done on coyotes, hogs and bobcats and you can bet that about the time you are focused on a cat that hog or coyote will show up. 55gr.Vmax muzzle velocity is 3240 fps and you know speed kills.
I asked about Greenville as I have a friend there.

I use a 50 gr. Hornady vmax on coyotes and cats, very quick, little damage, that is my go-to varmint round and I have had good results, speed kills! Your mileage may vary.

I’ve taken taken a couple with #5 turkey loads in both 12 and 10 gauge treed with hounds. IMO Under 25 yards turkey loads will hammer them just as hard as lead BB’s. Figured I’d give the turkey loads a try to save pelts and see if they were more friendly than BB shot. To me the BB shot seemed to cause less damage because they were less pellets that connected. I tight choked swarm of #5’s at close range can also make a mess! I’ve also shot quite a few coyotes with number five turkey loads cooling into my spring turkey calls. Just as long as you aim for their melons and connect they don’t go anywhere. I have a few pounds of lead #2’s I’ll have to load up and try some day. To me, any hole in a bobcat is to big. A tight shooting 22 mag will even get the job done. If you’re looking for something for 223 I’d look for whoever loads for the 60 grain Vmax. It’ll anchor a cat on the spot and will put anywhere from a bullet diameter exit to a $.50 piece 99.9% of the time in my predators. Looks like Black Hills still loads them in the red in the blue box and also ammo Inc. IMO if you accidentally hit a bone with any centerfire caliber bets are off whether it’s going to be fur friendly. I got drawn for a bobcat on property last year. Caught one in a duke 650. A heart shot with a Winchester 333 22lr and it folded up deader than a door nail and never flinched. One small 22lr bullet sized hole in and out that I would’ve never ever saw where I hit it if blood didn’t come out.

Last edited:
Whatever shoots best in your gun. If the taxidermist can't fix a hole no bigger than a golfball which it will likely be then find a different taxidermist.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHornady 15.5gr NTX - 17hmr. Bobcats often let you pick your shot. Take out the far side shoulder just like this and it won't run.

smile.gif

I'm glad you said it.. cause I was thinking it ! laffn..

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHornady 15.5gr NTX - 17hmr. Bobcats often let you pick your shot. Take out the far side shoulder just like this and it won't run.

smile.gif

52546456913_36efc4eafd_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHornady 15.5gr NTX - 17hmr. Bobcats often let you pick your shot. Take out the far side shoulder just like this and it won't run.

smile.gif

52546456913_36efc4eafd_c.jpg

Give you a room full of bouncy balls and you're set for the day. Good on ya, enjoy the apple!

Back