What 100% Looks Like, Nvision Halo XRF....

Kino M

Staff member
So since its raining now, been raining, been foggy, hot, cold and ever changing climate here in the Ohio River Valley, I've had a LOT of long nights and lots of kills in the worst thermal conditions. Its been a great "worst case scenario" environment to say the least.

Since I've moved to Nvision I've had a lot of text and messages asking "How's it do in high humidity??"

Well I started on this thread weeks ago with separating video of kills of 100% humidity or dang close. I wanted to be the opposite of most videos that you see shot under ideal conditions i.e. cold temperatures, low humidity, base mag and close range. Those are the MAIN ingredients for making a fabulous looking detailed video that 99.9% of what sales staff and promotions are using.

Experienced thermal users know that humidity and hot climate is bad for thermals and really gets worse when you zoom.

ALL THERMAL OPTICS are effected and lower resolution is even more so than 640s.

People see these ideal videos and expect that image and the truth is that isn't real world. People who live in the humid south, actually use the zoom, hunt in the rain or fog because thats the only time they can get off work sometimes rarely get ideal conditions and for you guys I wanted to show you a top of the line optic in the crappiest conditions. Fog, rain, hot, zoom, long range, these videos I'm going to post over this week is intended to NOT give you a wow factor, just what you can expect in terrible hunting conditions and still making long range kills, hope you enjoy and please leave some thoughts!

Foggy Night Madness, I luv it.

Kino, would you mind sharing the ballistics on the round your shooting? I noticed on your 320 yard Coyote you were holding right on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: capitolFoggy Night Madness, I luv it.

Kino, would you mind sharing the ballistics on the round your shooting? I noticed on your 320 yard Coyote you were holding right on.

Sure thing, rifle is an AR10 243 with a 1/10"twist Xcaliber barrel, 22".

Load is a 58vmax over 43.8gr of Varget and MV is 3700.

Thanks for commenting, glad you liked it!

That’s great and looks really good.

We too hunt in 100% humidity quite often.

Sometimes it is so bad that I can hardly make out where the horizon meets the land when it’s rained all day and things are uniformly monothermal everywhere.

One thing I will say is that when it is high humidity and terrible conditions, a hot hog or coyote really stand out in black hot.

Thanks Skypup, I'm glad you brought that very important point up with black hot! In my experience and to my eyes, black hot in crappy thermal conditions is much better for target acquisition than white hot.

We have so much humidity and changing conditions where I live, I just leave it on black hot all the time!!

people see these ideal videos and expect that image and the truth is that isn't real world. People who live in the humid south said:
This is so true and valuable information for any potential thermal buyers. Took me some time to realize the videos I was watching were being made in conditions and at ranges I'll never hunt in.

Buddy of mine just got an Iray RL25, he was excited and had me check it out at the range. I remember thinking it was never going to work in our hunting conditions and something like that could be dangerous in the wrong hands.. a few days later a night hunter here shot another hunter. I TOTALLY blame the trigger puller not the optic but ironic. I fear unsafe shooters combined with cheap thermals are going to get night hunting illegal here.

Originally Posted By: KirschP&Y, I heard of the event you spoke of with the hunter being shot. It is very sad.

Terrible situation for sure. Luckily it sounds like he will survive but has a long road ahead. Hoping for the best for him and his family.

So the way I read that story is the guy shot his own buddy??? That's a special kind of stupid right there.

Some states require you to have a light on at all times even if your using thermal, they may consider something like that at some point.

Back